Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Help How do I drain my fuel tank after a mis-fuel problem ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3
Help How do I drain my fuel tank after a mis-fuel problem ?

Yes I have managed to put petrol into my diesel, what an idiot!!!!!. Have not started car but need to know if I can just remove the filler pipe where it goes into the tank and put a pump hose into there to drain it or if it is harder than that how ?
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #4747241st Jun 2009 8:57 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes you can do exactly that but you'll need to drop the filler end of the tank slightly to do so.Remove the steel tank cover but be careful as the only thing holding the tank in place is the cover itself.We've done this on a filling station forecourt in offroad height so it is possible ( 40 litres of petrol on 20 litres of diesel).Hope you havent turned the key in the ignition as this primes the fuel pump.Good luck.

Post #4747541st Jun 2009 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

How would it cause a problem, if you did turn the key but also flushed this with diesel before you started the car ?(ie primed it with the pump a number of times once full of diesel)
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #4747941st Jun 2009 12:29 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

TBH I don't know enough about it 90 , but I imagine/guess once a pump is primed it's primed and wont reprime unless the primed fuel is burned off in the engine or is removed some otherway ?

If I were you I'd also keep topping up your tank at every oppurtunity so as your diluting any residual petrol that you don't manage to remove.Measure what petrol you remove against what you put in.

Another thing I found was that I dislodged one of the fuel senders in the tank (during pumping the tank out) with the result that once I hit the Orange warning light the tank reading runs down to zero at the rate of two kilometres per second or so.Never let it run lower than a quarter tank these days.

Post #4747951st Jun 2009 12:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think it's got to do with the Petrol being in the system. It' strips any lubricant that would have been there from the diesel & can also perish some of the rubbers & seals
Althoiugh some have done it & just emptied the tank & re-filled with Diesel & all is fine. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4748131st Jun 2009 1:19 pm
jonboy1968

United Kingdom 

My wife managed to do the same with our previous car (Mondeo Estate) She, not only started the engine, but also managed to drive home (5 miles) before she realised her error.

To be honest we just went with AA fuel assist. They drained the tank, flushed the engine, and got it started. Cost just over £200.

Ran it for about a month before getting shut (for the Disco) It didnt seem to suffer any ill effects.

Post #48000511th Jun 2009 4:40 pm
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If your going under the car in offroad height make sure its supported well incase it lowers

My friend was crushed by a bus doing the same thing,Lifted it up crawled underneath to do something and it lowered down onto him

The AA now have a special van for this problem i saw it the other day at the side of the road

The filler pipe can be removed as there is a small rubber hose held on with 2 clips at the tank end of the filler pipe...Then you could pump the fuel out and refill it with diesel

Post #48003011th Jun 2009 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >