Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

All singing, all breaking windscreens...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
All singing, all breaking windscreens...

A question for those of you with the all singing and dancing windscreens...the SE and HSE with the light and rain sensors.
Do you find these screens to easily break?
I will have replaced 3 in the last 12 months, all due to small chips that readily and quickly progress from a chip to a full blown crack of upto the full hieght of the screen. The chips can be chips for ages, then one morning I go to the car and there is the crack, or the initial hit is enough to "chip and split", and they don't sound like particually hard hits.

Post #45601818th Apr 2009 4:32 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I've had to replace 1 screen that had a problem with the heating elements. That then got smacked with a stone on the motorway so hard I thought a brick had fallen off a lorry, left a pit 1cm across. Screen survived 3 weeks incl 1 week offroading in Tunisia without splitting then it got fixed (resin injection) back in the UK. Been fine since. Thumbs Up

Post #45602418th Apr 2009 7:10 am
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

18 months, same screen Mr. Green
 <*(((<<  
Post #45604118th Apr 2009 8:23 am
catweasel

a chip no bigger than the tip of a ball point pen (under arrow)
the crack eventually finished 2/3rds across the screen.
if you run a ball point pen across the screen and it catches anywhere LR wont replace it and yes I think they are substandard. had a chip the size of a 10 cent piece in my Commodore for 4 years until I used the sprays to clean it after work Whistle

Post #45605718th Apr 2009 9:15 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a couple of pencil-tip-size holes in the top layer of my screen.
Had a larger one fixed when I got the car (4 months ago) and another one a couple of weeks ago, which sat there for a few weeks during the frost period. Had a sticker over that one during the frost though.

Nothing wrong with the screen and the heating in it still works fine as well.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #45611018th Apr 2009 11:24 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not restricted to LR. Got hit 12 months ago while driving the Ocean road in the Audi and although had it plugged I noticed the star is getting bigger. Auto lights and wipers also Big Cry >
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #45611318th Apr 2009 11:36 am
D3 1234

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have found, touch wood, that the element in the heated windscreen helps for me as it actually takes the shock out of a lot of the stone hits and driving on back roads every day and lucky so far. Thumbs Up

Post #45611818th Apr 2009 12:23 pm
Rob Hollonds

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have lost three windscreens, first was a large stone on Oodnadatta Track that no screen would have survived. But the second was a minor hit and chip close to lower perimeter centre which I thought should not have caused the screen to fail. Third, lower RH perimeter, again a minor impact and crack ran right across driver viewing area. All replaced with genuine LR screens. Yes, I agree, I feel screens are substandard for our conditions and no doubt my insurance company is fed up with the $1,400 replacement cost!!!!
 MY07 D3, TDV6S; Bull Bar, Cooper S/T's, Dual Battery, UHF, GPS; 03 D2, 94 D1, both departed & 1950 S1 80" going strong. 06 Astra CDX Coupe.
Humanity has no capacity to influence the global tidal wave of cyclical climate change!!!! 

Post #45625918th Apr 2009 9:07 pm
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just busted mine a couple of weeks back. One little pebble and a 12 inch crack magically appeared almost immediately right in front of me - the windscreen must be quite a highly stressed component of the monocoque body. I have to say that I was returning from a camping trip and the roof rack was full - I'd say about 50kgs all up. And we were travelling at 110 km/h at that time.

Given the cost of a genuine LR replacement windscreen, I opted for an aftermarket one. NRMA did the replacement. Replacing the windscreen meant replacing all the sensors as all the sensors are located in a plastic box that is permanently glued to the centre of the windscreen. Can't remove them without destroying them.

An interesting observation - the wipers with the original rain sensors were quite 'aggressive/sensitive' - ie the wipers were too fast. I found that I preferred to, in light rain, to just manually activate the wipers rather than leave them on auto as they were prone to going at maximum speed.

With the replacement windscreen and sensors, the auto activation of the wipers have slowed right down. I found that with 'Rain-X' applied to the windscreen, the degree of activation is about right. It now takes a full downpour to activate full wiper speed. If anything, activation is now a tad too slow but I prefer this to it being too fast.

I am not sure if the light sensor was replaced also ( I thought this was located in the dash?) but there was no difference in operation with this item (ie lights still too slow to come on Evil or Very Mad ).
 Disco3 SE MY08, Rear lockers, Dual air, Long range tank, Cargo barrier, Rear Wheel carrier, BFG Mud Terrains on steel wheels, Rhino Platform rack, Rhino Aero bars, Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, 'Ever Smiling' TPMS Very Happy , Rasta Front plate, ECB Nudge Bar, a whole garage full of camping toys....  
Post #47410330th May 2009 10:56 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have my none heated windscreen still in good shape. I have currently 1 small chip low in the middle.

I think I hit something more substancial dureing the summer as I want to install a heated windscreen. Whistle
I first get the wires and button in. Mr. Green
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47410630th May 2009 11:13 am
rmp

Australia 

There are little repair kits you can carry to fix cracks and stars in the field using much the same techniques the professionals use. Quite cheap. Available at Repco, I forget the brand name. They work.
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #47411130th May 2009 11:19 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had three windscreens in my merc, they just seemed to crack at the site of anything more than a small bug flying into it....

So far no problem with LR 2 years in Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #47411630th May 2009 11:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Still on original windscreen after over three years. A couple of chips but haven't run at all. Luck of the draw I suppose.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47436531st May 2009 2:37 am
gps-au

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
Still on original windscreen after over three years. A couple of chips but haven't run at all. Luck of the draw I suppose.

LUCKY !!

My first lasted 3 weeks before a road train attack !

One main chip, but the hole was so big I had to fill it.

Saw the bill and nearly died for the OME price .... $1750 and thats a plain "S" model with no sensors etc...
Yeah the insurance paid it..

Post #47437431st May 2009 6:54 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The kit available from Repco is:
UFIXIT Windscreen.
http://www.demsgroup.com.au/?gclid=CL7GpYX95ZoCFQ0ZegodBnIdBg
Works well. Smile
You can buy it online from that site too.
$34.99 AUD
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #47438031st May 2009 8:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >