DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear registration plate fixing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HarrisonB

England 

I’ve just found that the rear plate is fixed by double sided tape. After much huffing and puffing I eventually managed part the plate from the tailgate. With the plate off I noticed that there are 2 circular stickers the size of a 2 pence piece. Peeling back one of the stickers revealed a small hexagonal hole, clearly designed to take a fixing to hold the plate.

My question is – is your rear plate stuck on or does it have fixings?

I’ve temporarily attached my new plate with double sided tape but would like to make use of the fixings if they are available.
 D3 gone for now  
Post #4675910th Mar 2006 1:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is stuck on with sticky strips.

Post #4676410th Mar 2006 1:23 pm
thirdtimelucky

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Mine is sticky strips and it's not even on straight!!! I was too scared to pull it off tho' in case I pulled some paint or something off!

Embarassed

Post #4676710th Mar 2006 1:33 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mines screwed on!
The plate has started to de-laminate and discolour which I'll replace in the summer.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #4677210th Mar 2006 1:47 pm
SN

Screw fixings on mine - one yellow cap, one black cap Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4678510th Mar 2006 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine was stuck.

I removed it gently applying heat from a hair-drier to replace the original with a 'euro' style plate.

I have just stuck the new one on again - seems fine

Post #4682810th Mar 2006 6:42 pm
HarrisonB

England 

Thanks guys,

It’s clear that the dealers have chosen to use cheap tape rather than the fixings shown on Steve’s photo. Now that I know that fixings are available I’ll be on to the dealer for a more permanent fix for the cherished transfer.

As for removing the stuck on plates you do need to be careful as the skin on the tailgate is as flexible as the skin on a rice pudding. The paint will crack. Amazing that a car that can cost up to £50k and the dealer saves a few quid by using double sided tape.

Thanks again.

H
 D3 gone for now  
Post #4686910th Mar 2006 11:49 pm
SN

How many digits/letters is your cherished plate? Mine is just 5 and I was wondering how having them on a shortened one line plate (e.g. XX XXX) rather than a two line plate (e.g. XX then XXX underneath) would look at the back
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4687210th Mar 2006 11:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

A hairdryer will warm up the adhesive enough to remove the plate
By the way - 2 plus 3 below looks best (in my humble opinion)
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4687511th Mar 2006 12:10 am
HarrisonB

England 

Yep likewise.

XX XXX so the XXX is underneath on a Land Rover. It was on my D1 for 10 years and I did think with a standard 11" by 9" plate it could be all on one line. No, its illegal and I'd rather not be stopped if you know what I mean. Have you tried getting plates made recently? It's worst than a tax investigation Sad
 D3 gone for now  
Post #4687811th Mar 2006 12:14 am
SN

HarrisonB wrote:
Have you tried getting plates made recently? It's worst than a tax investigation Sad
Yes, two years ago! But I still have a three year old 'dodgy' front plate where there's no spaces at all which has been on the last two motors and I'll put on the front of this one - but I was thinking of getting a new legal single row yellow one but cutting the ends off to get it as short as I can for the back. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4688211th Mar 2006 12:17 am
Ken

Try Demon plates on line have the plate as standard as you want or custom if you wish next day delivery and no questions

Post #4689411th Mar 2006 6:49 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The switch to using double-sided tape is supposed to assist in plate theft. The idea is that using force to remove the plate will rip the back of the plate, resulting in damage that render it useless.

Generally, plate thieves don't carry hairdryers around with them, but the type of plate used does not universally include the integrated self-destruct backing.

Post #4690111th Mar 2006 9:35 am
new2disco3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Number Plate

Hi, it is possible to get a legal plate that is only one line for the rear of the Disco. I have one, do a search on the net and you will find plenty of people selling show plates that they say aren't for road use. The law is daft, these show plates can be made without any requirements ie by passing the law prohibiting manufacture of road plates - just check the size requirement from the dvla site - work out the size of rear plate you need and you will have a number plate. As an ex Traffic cop I find it daft, but as solution to make your car look different. My 5 character plate - all correctly spaced reads a little more like I want it to ... I use double sided sticky tape to mount as the bolts would be too low down.. Try A plates, just one place I've bought plates from search google and you will find others as well. Just remember not to ask them for a legal plate - they would be breaking the law if they were manufacturing plates for road use! All good crooks buy off the net.

Post #4754114th Mar 2006 11:54 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

How about this number plate on my D3. Three letters. 8) 8) 8)

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4770215th Mar 2006 10:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >