Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear passenger door won't open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
tsultana

England 
Rear passenger door won't open

Tried to open rear near-side door today, but won't open. Have tried lock and unlock loads of times, Wife has been driving it with nipper in, I want to open it to check nothing has got in the lock mechanism before I go to dealer.
Any advice?

ps it is the actual inside lock that is not operating. with the central locking, but I cannot manually open it either

Post #461267th Mar 2006 12:22 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Some thoughts.

First make sure that the button on the dash has been pressed - this will unlock the back doors and the boot. It is the one to the immediate right of the Hazard light button. The front doors, both driver and passenger open at any time.

If the child lock has been put on the back door, then it won't open from the inside (guess that is obvious, but thought I'd mention it).

Have you checked whether the lock release on the inside of the door has been pushed in, and maybe jammed there? It should bounce out a little when you unlock the doors with the key or the console button.

Does the other back door open OK?

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #461317th Mar 2006 12:26 pm
thrust-hq

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same problem, one of the back doors would not open, even after having tried all the unlock/lock buttons in the car and on the remote control.

I found a work around, by pulling the small black unlock leaver on the door (inside), and at the same time pressing the unlock button on the dash board. This would make the leaver stay in the unlocked position.

Unfortunately because of the autolock feature when driving you have to do this every time you want to get out of the car. The strange thing is that it has now fixed itself, after doing this unlock trick several times.

Post #461377th Mar 2006 12:51 pm
tsultana

England 

thrust-hq wrote:
I had exactly the same problem, one of the back doors would not open, even after having tried all the unlock/lock buttons in the car and on the remote control.

I found a work around, by pulling the small black unlock leaver on the door (inside), and at the same time pressing the unlock button on the dash board. This would make the leaver stay in the unlocked position.

Unfortunately because of the autolock feature when driving you have to do this every time you want to get out of the car. The strange thing is that it has now fixed itself, after doing this unlock trick several times.

Well guys, tried this and it worked. Just done it again and it's locked up once more.
Over to the dealer to sort out now, as I know that nothing has been caught in the lock so a warranty issue I think
Thanks

Post #461797th Mar 2006 3:52 pm
tucker_j

England 

What was the outcome when you went to the dealer?

My wife borrowed my Disco today as she's broken her Defender. Now she's brought the Disco back the rear o/s door won't lock or unlock properly on the central locking.

It's as though it only half manages to do it, either not quite unlocking or not quite locking Evil or Very Mad

She had some kids in the back, could they have broken the lock fiddling with it while the autolock was engaged?

Post #7892516th Aug 2006 5:45 pm
tsultana

England 

Outcome!!!

Well after leaving with dealer for a day they told me I needed to book it in for a new lock!

I insisted that they were to find out what was really needed as I thought it was a relay or similar. When it went back to have new lock fitted I followed car into service bay. The door had not been removed to diagnose fault which Peed me off as I was without the car for a day and had been effectivly lied to. As it was a warrantee issue I think they went for the most profitable option. They asked me to sign the form before the work was done, and I have asked a number of times to see what they have billed LR for but with no reply. No wonder these cars are so expensive!!! The tech who took the door off infront of me also suggested it was a relay- who knows May try to get to bottom of it again now though

Post #7892916th Aug 2006 6:20 pm
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Same thing happened to mine.

I dropped the car to the dealer to get the enhancement programme and a couple of other things done, and they said that should fix itself with the new software.

It did - once. Then it failed again the same evening.

Next day the dealer replaced the lock mech, after getting the door open using the method described above.

Andy.

Post #823784th Sep 2006 12:22 am
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Love / Hate

Ive had about a week without any problems but today my rear passenger door wont lock / unlock Big Cry

I have put some oil / WD 40 onto the lock, given it plenty of lock / unlock to try and free it up but its not made any difference.

I have removed the door card – as thought I would get more access, but nothing but a big plate of metal. Anyone had any experience of a home fix?

I would leave it, but with a little one on the way I need rear door access

Post #126845111th Apr 2014 8:13 pm
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Found the answers - http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Rear_Door_Latch_Replacement

Post #126845711th Apr 2014 8:21 pm
Northcountryboy1976

Scotland 
Rear door won't open

Hi

I'm having issues with the rear n/s door on my 2006 HSE.
I've just recently bought it and the seller told me the rear door needed a new lock.

I purchased a new actuator and set about removing door card etc

The problem is the door won't unlock to enable me to remove the latch.

I've removed door card, gotten access inside door, I can feel the latch but with out the door open I can't get the latch out to replace it.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of unlocking with keys whilst pulling the door release cable.

If the child lock are on (I've no way of knowing with door shut) I presume it won't open from inside any way?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Post #173745521st Nov 2016 7:29 pm
JayKay696

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Same problem, can't replace mechanism if I cant open the door.
Tried all the push pull button tricks to no avail.
Just about ready to start cutting bigger holes on inside of door so I can see better where to manually get latch released.

Post #174720111th Dec 2016 4:09 pm
Northcountryboy1976

Scotland 

I had to cut a hole in the door.

I used a 30mm bi metal hole saw on my drill. I cut the hole right where the pull mechanism is. I think I ended up unlocking it somehow with a screw driver.
It's all covered up once the door card on.

Post #174720411th Dec 2016 4:18 pm
JayKay696

Yup, thanks, going to do the same,
With all my fiddling around, the inside door handle release cable has now also dislodged from the latch, sliding freely in/out with no resistance.

Post #174721411th Dec 2016 4:35 pm
AACSC

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

It seems a little drastic to cut holes in the door to gain access to the latch mechanism.

I recently had a drivers door locked and having got the door card off it is fairly easy to fiddle the latch and open the door. I put my experience on the "door lock actuator" post (on the last pages) and a couple of photos show how to operate the latch to open the door.

AACSC
 Graduate of the FDC ( Fred Dibnah College)  
Post #174731811th Dec 2016 7:35 pm
JayKay696

Eventually I got the door open without having to cut. Really jerking and pounding on the exterior handle while locking/unlocking with dash buttons, vehicle idling.
Took mech. out and opened up and found a
white plastic lever broken. Connected to the locking actuator and also linked to the black metal lever which is the inside handle release lever

Stripped whole thing, cleaned, lubed and put back together after removing the broken tip of lever.
Door locks and unlocks again now, 100% from outside, but inside the small black locking lever doesn't release a little when unlocking, so you just have to pull it slightly before pulling silver release handle.
Good enough for now until I can source a decent priced replacement.
Thanks for all the info found on the forum. Learnt something new again.
What did you do to your Land Rover today, Laughing Laughing ?

Post #174737311th Dec 2016 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >