Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

brake problem, you may have it as well
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
brake problem, you may have it as well

my brake pedal is bottoming out, on progressive braking, or when facing downhill with foot on brake for more than 10 seconds. the car is stopped initially but brake pedal sinks as low as it can go and hits the hard stop. there doesnt feel as if Ive got pressure on the brake pads and car starts to move down hill a bit before I have to pump the pedal agin to stop it and again the pressure feeling comes back.
It only started feeling like this since the brake vacuum recall. Looks to me that the master cylinder seals are leaking back but Im not sure. It will go back to dealer, but any thoughts to re-inforce my theory...?

does the pedal normally bottom out like this? I certainly never noticed before....

Post #64861913th May 2010 8:05 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Might be worth having a read here and talking to Neil http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic49348.html?highlight=servo

Post #64862313th May 2010 8:11 pm
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Buda,

I had this twice the first time the stealer replaced the servo and that was that then came the recall and everything has been fine since then. Thumbs Up

Maybe they didn't do the recall work as they should have Whistle
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #64862413th May 2010 8:13 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

And his other post on the matter http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50153.html?highlight=servo

Post #64862513th May 2010 8:13 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Sounds like failing seals within the Master Cylinder to me, rather than the Servo Booster.
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #64863013th May 2010 8:20 pm
J

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine's started doing this exact thing since the recall work done. Back in to dealers tomorrow after a scary moment this morning - gradual braking from speed, then had to brake more firmly and pedal went hard and very nearly ended up in the back of a BMW Shocked

Post #65087919th May 2010 11:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

OIl in the booster can cause seal failure. If there is too much oil in th booster LR are supposed to replace it.
Tell VOSA.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #65088919th May 2010 12:50 pm
J

I can't believe the dealership who's looking at mine (Harwoods Basingstoke) - just called for an update and apparently the problem is related to the EPB and all it needs is a rear brake service/clean - which they are doing now! Funny as they recently quoted £270 to clean and set up the EPB, yet have gone ahead and done the work today for free... Laughing TFC adjusted it recently, so I know it's set up right, but it just got full of muck at Hogmoor - I was planning on cleaning it out this weekend, but that's saved me a job

I have politely pointed out that this is entirely unrelated to the problem of the lack of brake pressure and they seemed a bit suprised Shocked

I'm waiting for a further update and may be doing them a disservice as I only spoke to the guy on the service desk and it was still up on the ramps but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they know what they are doing. And the issue has only arisen since they did the vac pump recall work in the first place...

Post #65163321st May 2010 12:06 pm
J

They've had a chance to look at the "real" problem now and there was oil in the servo so fitting a new servo. Keeping it in until the parts arrive so sending me a baby FL2 in the meantime...

Thumbs Up

Post #65170521st May 2010 2:01 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's what mine had, OIL in the Servo TDV6, new Mater cylinder, New Resevoir, and Complete Brake Fluid Change.....

I mentioned it to TFC when he serviced last year, and immediately pointed out the problem....Mine was done prior to the recall, so did'nt get the modified pipe work, so unsure whether I will need that recall work, or whether I got the updated VacPac and Seal that failed

Post #65171121st May 2010 2:09 pm
caverD3

They didn't do it right first time. Evil or Very Mad

See page 8 point 25.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0whole.pdf
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #65171321st May 2010 2:12 pm
J

I had a chat with a very helpful chap at VOSA who has confirmed that this is the first report they've had on this. Reading around the Disco3 forum, it doesn't look like I'm alone here so worth anyone else experiencing the symptoms/fault to contact VOSA - there's a form on line to download, very simple.

Post #65171821st May 2010 2:21 pm
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Finally, I can update you all on my brake problem, it took about 3 weeks since the I put it to the dealer for further investigation.
- Dealer identified oil in the servo and offered to fix it for £930. since car was 3 weeks out of warranty.
- No says I , that was a design fault and you recalled my car 4 months ago and modified it with a new vacuum pipe, to prevent such a thing happening in the future.

- dealer agreed, since he realised I wasnt a soft touch, and got land rover warranty to think about it. They came back with an offer of "we'll do it for £465 and warranty would pay other Half."

- No say I , that was a design fault and you recalled my car 4 months ago and modified it with a new vacuum pipe, to prevent such a thing happening in the future.

-- Dealer didnt argue but land rover warranty dragged their heels and eventually agreed to do it for free.......this was just before I threatened them with trading standards never mind VOSA.........

So, they replaced the servo, brake master cylinder, vacuum pump, two brake pipes and new brake fluid, to make sure the brakes were okay........BRAVO I thought.
The brakes are performing exactly as new, and I now realise this problem slowly crept up on me and it is so easy to think your brakes arent too bad, when in fact they could fail when you need them most.

On reflection I realise now I was wrong to think that the brake pedal was hitting a "mechanical"hard stop....(after about 1 inch of travel)...it wasnt, it was going hard because I couldnt get further compression in the hydraulic line due to oil in the servo.....
Now the pedal will brake 100% at the 1inch of travel, the car will stop very efficiently, and can be further depressed increasing pressure further if needed ,--but its not needed.

Now, the fact remains that the recall work never solved the problem, whether thats because the recall wasnt done properly, or that the recall is not fit for purpose I dont know but either way landrover are responsible and I will be reporting this to VOSA.

Post #6569485th Jun 2010 6:59 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

If the pedal is sinking to the floor over a period of time as you hold the brakes 'on', there is a fluid leak somewhere. Shocked

Assuming that the level is correct in the reservoir, the only possibility is an internal seal failure within the Master Cylinder. The brake Servo Booster cannot cause these symptoms ...

Either way, this needs looking at soonest!!!!
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #6569705th Jun 2010 9:04 pm
caverD3

Spot on buda Thumbs Up

I am sure they did not physically check the oil in the servo and replace it.

It gradually creeps up in you. Mine was fixed under warranty. They replaced the servo, master cylinder and all the vacuum line. But this was before the extra piping as available so oil returned to the line and braking gradually needed more and more pressure to activate.
Oil was found in the vacuum line but had not reachd the servo so line was replaced with the modified piping. braking is no easy and pressure required is conistant.
Dealer got extended warranty to pay for the work but dealer says Land Rover are paying for modification outside VIN range and out of warranty but it is not official.

If anyone has this issue outside VIN range and/or warranty please tell VOSA (or DOTARS in OZ) if anyone knows a journo maybe tell them about it. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #6570266th Jun 2010 12:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >