Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

HELP! went to get tracking checked and they've bust the T.C.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
HELP! went to get tracking checked and they've bust the T.C.

Took my car to N.E. Tyres (who were recommended by ATS, kwick-fit etc) who seem to be the only people capable of doing the alignment on a D3 in my area.

Went in as the suspension bushes have been replaced and steering was slightly off centre.

No other problems at this time.

Then it came out - steering problem corrected but as soon as I went round a corner the T.C. warning light came on, power was cut and ABS came on. Immediately follwing this was a symphony of beeps and messages: HDC not available, Suspension fault, suspension lowering, no traction control.

Took it straight back and they set out scratching their heads. No resolution to the problem though.

Couple of things were odd... the receipt I got was for the alignment of a Discovery Serieis II but when I queried this I was told that the D3 has the same alignment settings as a DII... does anyone know different?

There was no IDS to enter the vehicle into tight tollerance and the chap knew nothing of this procedure.

There was no balast placed into the vehicle to compensate for the only half filled fuel tank.

Now what do I do? Can't drive my car at the moment - I got a full refund from NE Tyres but kind of wish I just left the car with them to put right. They've washed their hands of it and said take it to Land Rover - we've never had this problem before. I think they suspect it was faulty prior to going in... but honestly steering wheel was at half one for a 12 o'clock heading but the TC didn't object at all.

One thing that is most odd is that I noticed I was getting 16mpg after the work - never seen anything above 14mpg and normally around 12.5mpg to 13.5mpg.

Any ideas will be gratefully received. I don't fancy another shafting down the dealers.
Club Bleeping PDC
Club Faded orange
Club Dents
Club 48 hour Noisy Stainless Exhaust
Club Permagrin 

Post #45360613th Apr 2009 9:50 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the steering wheel/column needs re calibrating. There is a sensor on the steering column. Get in touch with 10forcash. What's happening is the puter thinks the car is going round a corner when its not.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded. 

Last edited by AndrewS on 13th Apr 2009 10:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #45361113th Apr 2009 10:00 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the tyre place haven't got the faintest what idea what they were doing. I'd get it sorted at a dealer then send them the bill
Check the compressor, maybe they used it as a jacking point, would probably explain your errors if they've knackered it
 The End  
Post #45361313th Apr 2009 10:01 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm with Andrew. Mine had all those warnings when I bent a steering arm in Wales. Therefore the car was reading a sensor reading from somewhere in the steering that was out of spec. No sensors knackered just needed a new arm and calibration.

Yours probably just needs the calibration Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #45361813th Apr 2009 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I'm going to run with the calibration of the steering column... sounds like an easy place to start...

Who can do that and does anyone know how it is done?
Club Bleeping PDC
Club Faded orange
Club Dents
Club 48 hour Noisy Stainless Exhaust
Club Permagrin 

Post #45362713th Apr 2009 10:24 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

AndrewS wrote:
Get in touch with 10forcash.

Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45362913th Apr 2009 10:26 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: HELP! went to get tracking checked and they've bust the

Iona Disko wrote:
Took my car to N.E. Tyres (who were recommended by ATS, kwick-fit etc) who seem to be the only people capable of doing the alignment on a D3 in my area.

Obviously not capable as they clearly have no idea. Twisted Evil Disco3 is four wheel alignment D2 is two only.
It should be put into geometry mode before alignment too.

Iona Disko wrote:
Went in as the suspension bushes have been replaced and steering was slightly off centre.

Wheel alignemnt should have been done when bushes were replaced, if it was off centre they should re-do it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #45367714th Apr 2009 2:27 am
Jamo

Australia 

Yep, I agree with the others.

The Steering Angle Sensor needs to be re-calibrated after a full wheel alignment. When mine failed once, I had all the errors that you describe.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #45397514th Apr 2009 2:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: HELP! went to get tracking checked and they've bust the

Iona Disko wrote:
the receipt I got was for the alignment of a Discovery Serieis II but when I queried this I was told that the D3 has the same alignment settings as a DII... does anyone know different?

What utter cobblers they have told you, D3 is 4 wheel alignment in two axes (ie tracking and camber on each wheel), as it is independant suspension.

D2 has tracking adjustment on the front wheels only as it is beam axles at both ends... ie a solid link between the wheels with the exception of the steering linkage on the front axle. You can measure the wheel angles on the rear to check correct running (ie not crabbing down the road sideways), but adjustment is by repairing the axle bushes or damage....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #45400514th Apr 2009 3:03 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Take your D3 to Les Potts 4 x 4 in Sunderland (http://www.4wheeldrive.co.uk/)

Les is cheaper than a stealer and him and his lads are very knowledgeable about the D3. When my EPB failed recently, Les when to great lengths to diagnose and fix the fault which he tracked down to a broken wire in the park brake system. I had my Vredesteins fitted there too and when they balanced the wheels, they fitted the balance weights to the inside of the wheel - very neat!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #45400614th Apr 2009 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >