Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Stalling and startup noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
coachman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Stalling and startup noise

I have read a few threads here about engine stalling when cold, well I'm pleased to say there seems to be a cure! I have suffered this problem for some while and mentioned it to the dealer when the car was in for some other warranty work. There are some updates to cure this problem apparently and I must say it has worked a treat as she no longer tries to cut out when returning to idle. Very Happy
On a less happy note however, my car has a had a rattle on start up when the car is hot or within a few hours of it being run, it does not rattle first thing in the morning however. The dealer tells me it is the cam chain tensioner allowing the chain to rattle until the oil pressure is up and is possibly because of the oil viscosity used in this engine, they also tell me it a very common thing on this engine! All of this sounds feasible as on cold starts the oil would be thicker and would not be pushed out of the tensioner so readily, but it could also be a knackered tensioner!! My question here then has anyone else heard a similar noise under the conditions described? (The noise stops the instant the oil light is out and is never heard again until a restart. )

Post #4159875th Feb 2009 9:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not listened for the start up rattle but the symptoms & explanation sound plausible and no reason to worry about it....

Post #4160625th Feb 2009 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >