Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery not charging below 2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Battery not charging below 2000rpm

Been having issue with non/low voltage starts since oct.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic26139.html

I believe recently that many others are suffering similar problems - Wiggs, Mr H, BLF etc.

Anyway, had my D3 into local garage for brake pads and for them to sort the 'battery' problem.
Turns out, it's not the battery.
Seemingly the battery isn't receiving charge at under 2,000rpm.
Well that answers why I have problems sometimes and none at others,
[i.e. starting ok after sitting for days in sub zero temps.]
It all depended on the type of driving I did before parking up.

However, it'll need to go into the LR Dealer to check why this is happening.
It appears the ECU is in control as to the charge delivered to the battery.
Hoping it's just a re-programming issue and not a new ECU required.
It's booked into LR for 29th Dec.

Post #38940817th Dec 2008 7:04 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Shocked Didn't check whether it charged at idle this morning - oh well that's another test to do.

Hope things get sorted with a s/w update for you Ron
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #38941117th Dec 2008 7:10 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mmmm ...Interesting... i have never been let down by my battery ..apart from the recent faults i had ..but it was as if someone had cut the battery cable ...then it was ok

Anyway i have been taking gravity tests on my battery for the last couple of days and it's been showing very low .

This morning i did a 250 mile round trip ...pulled up at home and checked the battery again ...still showing need a charge .I quickly checked the missus car just in case i had a duff gravity tester..but worked fine on the wifes .

I just been to the dealers and they put another battery on for me ...although it wasent showing any major defects. I was told that the car is drawing more milliamp's than normal and that nothing obvious was causing it .

They would need more time to investigate.

Perhaps this is why mine was constantly looking for a charge ...but i would of hoped the dealer would have checked for the obvious alternator ..etc
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #38942717th Dec 2008 7:55 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In the 'olden days' (oh God, I must be getting old Rolling Eyes) a failure of the alternator rectifier pack would show up as a defrosted patch on the bonnet over the alternator at this time of year. I've only had this once on an ancient Ford Granada, but you could feel the alternator was still not cold when the rest of the engine was down to ambient. Worth a check with the multimeter with the car powered down?

I also had a failed regulator pack on my wife's Volvo. No obvious excessive drain at power off, but poor to non-existent charging until about 3000rpm. Switched the regulator and it was like a new alternator installed.

I seem to recall that the D3's Climate Control ECU controls the charge current based on the perceived external temperature. Any chance that your recent Radio/Satnav issues also affected the Aircon panel Wiggs?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #38943617th Dec 2008 8:23 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Havent had any issues with the aircon / heater ...fires up first time everytime ...

Funny you should mention that as one of the techs mentioned the unit saying if its removed the car will not start .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #38944017th Dec 2008 8:29 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
....ronp

thanks for the info
The real worry I have is that a my D3 a two year old vehicle is "unreliable" & cant be depended upon to start at a time I really need it...nothing to do with 4WD & off road ability....just about basic motoring.

I will have my Disco3 checked out at its next service - to see whether the alternator charges below 2000 rev/min
I would have thought it would.....surely its the solid state device that controls the rectifier bridge & the diodes in the alternator that effects battery charge...Mine certainly charged my battery at about 20 mins of idling at whatever the idle speed is - after a jump lead cable start.

I can see the discussion thread that a vehicle that is used infrequently & then only run a few miles will progressively take a battery below the level that it wont crank the engine...realistically a battery that is a couple of years old will be less able to cope than a newer one.
A Disco engine is a big lump to crank with all the systems (on an HSE) that also take battery power....

Question 1: is it true the not essential D3 systems close down on a cold start? - if they do its a very smart system to prevent a situation that has caught me out on big engined vehicles (e.g. dopey big engined Volvos)

Question 2: Is the standard D3 battery special in the technology it uses?.......is it still lead acid - I know its sealed with an indicator on the top but can it be checked with a good old fashioned hydrometer if the cells can be accessed.

Question 3: Is the battery under warranty
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #38945917th Dec 2008 9:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >