Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Heater not working when outside temperature is cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JonnieR

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Heater not working when outside temperature is cold

I am having a real problem with the heating on my Disco and have now taken the car back 5 times to be 'fixed' but to no avail. The problem I have is that upon startup my cars heating (aircon) will not work at all. The lights and buttons all light up like they should but the fan doesnt operate. If I put the system onto windscreen heat then the electric elements work but the fan still doesnt come on.

As mentioned I have now taken the car back to Guy Salmon (Sytner) Landrover in Stratford upon Avon 5 times and they havent been able to fix it. They describe it as an intermittent fault, but as the problem only occurs when the car is cold (when you really need the defrost mode) they can never find it.

The most annoying bit. and I would like advice on this too, is that it went in 4 times under warranty to have this fixed, but now as the warranty ended Aug 28th they now want me to foot the bill for any repairs. Surely I am still covered as this wasnt fixed under warranty. They have tried to tell me that they have a 'Dealer is Hero' scheme which means that I 'only' might have to pay half of the fix cost, but would have to pay for all of the analysis time - which worries me considering on 5 occasions they have fixed it!!!

Your help with the technical or the warranty query would be apprecited!

Last edited by JonnieR on 6th Dec 2008 9:03 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #3841646th Dec 2008 8:18 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would be inclined to write to them giving them one further chance to repair the heater under warranty. If they decline or are unable to then I would get it repaired elsewhere and sue them for the bill.
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #3841756th Dec 2008 8:29 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'd also be talking to LR Customer Services about this and TBH i would've tried a different dealer long before this. The other thing, aint hindsight great, is to of got LRA out when it is frozen and nothing is happening and got them to deal with it.....

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Post #3841876th Dec 2008 8:47 pm
JonnieR

The problem is that this can last for 3 mins or 3 hours (the longest I have driven with no heating at sub-zero temps) and it would not have been worth calling LRA to a car that would have appeared normal.

In hindsight I should have changed dealerships a while ago. The main problem is that my nearest LR dealership have been totally useless in the past and even charged me for things that werent done (a settlement occured and a written apology) so I am loathed to use them - hence I drive for an hour and a half to get to Stratford LR. This is worse than it sounds as my work is about half way.

It just infuriates me that they are so incompetent at problem resolution. And that they are happy for me to waste 3 hours bringing the car in, only to have to bring it back again and again. And now to try and chrage me because they didnt fix it when they were meant to!

It really puts me off buying another LR - I love the cars but in my experience the service from LR and the dealers is pitiful (apologies to any LR dealership that does actually look after its customers)

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening to my car??? Please help!!!!! I feel my blood boiling just thinking about it.

Post #3841926th Dec 2008 8:58 pm
nealgs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Does the Prog button light flash when first starting the car?

We sent ours in a couple of week ago for a leak issue, but the technician found a problem with the AC system aswell (we had noticed the Prog button light flashing on first starting car, would flash for about 30secs or so, with no response from the A/C unit and related button during and for a while after)

Appears the issue was due to a stuck motor behind the dash which was preventing the movement of the blower vents/flaps.

Not sure of any use or even relevant

regards
Gary
 Gone: Java Black TDV6, Auto, HSE - yum, yum Smile
(Gone: 96' V8 ES Charleston Green, 96 V8 ES Black)
Toy: Southern Roadcraft Cobra, 383ci Chevy V8

Club - HiVis Smile
Club - Disco3.co.uk Round Stickers
Club - Disco3.co.uk External Badge 

Post #3842606th Dec 2008 10:37 pm
JonnieR

The Prog button doesnt flash, and appears to work normally. The system wouldnt start to work at all if it wasnt for me pressing any random button on the control unit at any random time. eg i'll press the econ button and then the auto button, or the off button and then the econ button, or the recirculate button and then the prog button etc etc etc - but none of these fix it instantly. It might take 3 mins it might take 3 hours and still have no effect.

I have even tried hitting the dashboard, swearing at the steering wheel, weeping softly in the cold, driving with my head out of the window and not driving at all - they all have the same result - me being cold in a car that mists up, and then freezes on the inside!

Post #3842696th Dec 2008 11:05 pm
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Johnny

can't help you with the problem but I believe that any pre existing problems are covered even though you pass the warrantee end date. The dealer should not be asking for money. I have no idea on the dealer/LR arrangement for claims passed the end date but I guess that LR wont pay the dealer now so they are trying it on. Its time to be firmer with them - remember its their problem not yours. Do everything in writing and keep copies. Record everything.

Kev

Post #3843957th Dec 2008 11:39 am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 

If your car is an auto climate, the fan won't come on until the engine warms up. Saves blowing freezing cold air about. Can override this by turning the fan on high.

It could of course be a lose connection as electricity is harder to conduct when cold.

Post #3844297th Dec 2008 1:36 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

kevofcov wrote:
Johnny

can't help you with the problem but I believe that any pre existing problems are covered even though you pass the warrantee end date.

In the early 80's I had a Yamaha XS750E from new that would not start every so often. The ignition module kept failing and in the sixteen months I owned it I had three modules fitted, as did many other owners. Yamaha had to announce that there was a lifetime warranty on ignition related parts (inc. labour) until this issue was resolved.

I'm not sure if Land Rover will honor recall issues beyond warranty dates as it's the owners responsibility to present the vehicle on receipt of the recall letter. Worth a try though as it'll only cost the price of a trip to the stealers Wink

Post #3844647th Dec 2008 4:29 pm
JonnieR

Thanks for your replies. This has nothing to do with the auto being on/off - I can turn the heater onto manual on full blast and nothing happens. There isnt a button in the car that makes any difference.

On a couple of occasions I have managed to get the system to work by letting the car run, opening the bonnet, taking all the covers off and removing/replacing the relay - but even that has stopped working!! I am at the end of my tether - its so dangerous to drive in winter and sooooo cold in the mornings - I work outside a lot and haveing to arrive cold and go home cold is less than pleasant!!!

Post #3848918th Dec 2008 5:08 pm
Barney

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and found an intermittent fault in the fan motor relay. Changed relay for new at approx £3.00, problem solved. LR dealership couldn't find the problem.

Post #3850418th Dec 2008 9:43 pm
JonnieR

I had already noticec that if I tapped the relay that the blower would start working. (Not all the time) Please can you tell me where you purchased the relay from?

Post #38717412th Dec 2008 10:41 am
Barney

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The LR part no is YWB 50060 freely available from main dealer or any auto electical shop. It's a 4 prong 40 amp standard relay. Hope this helps. It's actually made for Fords!!

Post #38743712th Dec 2008 8:03 pm
JonnieR

Just to let you know that a new relay was fitted to my car today (with LR main dealer insisting that it would make no difference) and I can now report that I have fully working air-conditioning once again!!! Luckily they didnt try and charge me for the part. So 6 visits and 9 days without the car, and the problem (diagnosed partly by myself and partly by you) was a £3 relay that any fool can check. I find it infuriating!!

Thank you for your advice and help. Really is very much appreciated. Thanks

Post #38744312th Dec 2008 8:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >