Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

V8 running out of fuel when guage reads 1/8th full
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simonsi

New Zealand 

Sounds like the level sender is to the front of the tank then. There is a known issue with the TDV6 where it has had the timer fitted to run the pre-heater before engine start, LR official position is to not run the pre-heater for more than 30mins when parked nose down by 5deg, this implies to me the fuel pickup may be to the rear of the tank.

Couple this with running out and a potential resulting misfire in a petrol is supposedly VERY BAD for the catalyst in the exhaust and it may be this cutting out is as designed???
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3836625th Dec 2008 2:44 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

IIRC in the TDV6 there are two pickups, front & rear. I imagine that the V8 would be similar.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #3839756th Dec 2008 1:43 am
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Is it possible that one of the pick-ups on my vehicle is dysfunctional?

If there is a fuel pick-up fore and aft in the fuel tank then the symptoms I have would suggest that I have something wrong with the forward fuel pickup. Or is this unlikely?

Post #3842016th Dec 2008 8:09 pm
morleya

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Empty 1/4 full

Pointing downhill, 1/4 full: =stop. Even worse, the saftey cut out means you have to fill 10l petrol before it will start. You can frewheel down to a flat area (in a 2.7 tonne vehicle with no PAS/brakes) when it will then start. Then, find a petrol pump quickly. this is a real pain: effective tank range is about 200 miles.

Adrian

Post #49477412th Jul 2009 11:33 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My V8's trip computer's calculation of remaining range is unpredictable but always low (the last 80km of available range can disappear in 20 kms). I deliberately drove it until running out, but had an extra 105 l in the aux tank. The D3 drive on 30 kms after showing 0 range then the engine just quietly stopped. I transferred in about 5 litres from the aux tank and it restarted with no delay or anything. Cat converters aren't tested here (probably too windy to ever catch the exhaust) so I wasn't too worried about damaging it during this test. I was more interested in seeing what range I really get, given our outback distances. A number of times, I've waited until just after the range reads "0" kms remaining when starting the fuel transfer pump and it's never run out of fuel.

One thought - it could be that there's some sludge/water/contaminants in your tank and when sloping down it plugs off. I had this with freezing water/crud a couple of times when living in Colorado (not in a D3 though) when ambient was below freezing. I've no idea how to check for crud on the D3's main fuel tank. You might want to consider some methanol type fuel additive to see if it clears up the gunk. I like to think of myself as pretty handy (had a Cessna twin plane 20 yrs ago and did my own maintenance to it okay), but I don't even know if there's an external fuel filter on the D3.

I've found the V8 to be 100% reliable (tempting fate here - my 24 yr old daughter and 4 friends are soon to leave on a 2400km trip to a remote part of Ningaloo Reef with the D3. If anything possible can go wrong a carload of young women should be able to find it Whistle ). No problems with leaking intercooler pipes, turbocharger failures, or EGR valve problems. How odd to consider a Jaguar-based V8 to be a relatively foolproof, robust, old fashioned device. Just takes a but of fuel = simple really.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #49479013th Jul 2009 5:41 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

teh fuekl gauge certainly has character. My TDV6 gave me a start over skiing earlier in eth year. Took a car ful up a Col to where it wqas closed for some seldging for teh kids. SO quite steep twisty road. Was low on fuel (about 100 miles range when I started) but as i knew it wasn't many mile no problem. Obviously by teh timke I had covered teh couple of miles up to the Col range was only 40 (light not on yet though) but no matter as down hill. Vehicle was then turned round and left parked facing quite steeply downhill for a couple of hours. Time to go (getting dark, windy and cold with car full of kids and grand parents) and car has decided the tank is completely empty, range 0, fuel gauge doesn't move off the stops. However it starts and we idle down so just using the engine for steering and brakes (it is quite steep and twisty so don't really need to accelerate at all). however engine does get a bit rough a couole of times, doesn't stop though. Get back down into the village and car runs better on the flat although gauge and range stay firmly on zero. Fill up at nearest station.......still plenty of fuel in the tank..........does seem a bit sensitive. I have never taken it offroad with less than half a tank as range off road is not exactly a problem here in the UK and obviously never had issues with it on a slope. Whistle

I had a steep downhill driveway until recently but the car was always parked backwards on it (i.e. pointing uphill) and I never had an issue with low fuel then either.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #49479413th Jul 2009 5:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gedaso

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sorry to bring up a thread from two years ago, but my 4L petrol V6 has the same problem: if I'm facing downhill (driving or stopped, same result) with less than quater tank of petrol, the engine will die. The gauge will still show quater full, but the car won't start until either it is rolled down to level ground or more fuel is put into the tank.

I've had it at the local independent LR shop today, but they don't really have any great ideas except for pulling the tank out and having a look. Any suggestions ?

Post #8306181st Sep 2011 11:31 am
G4LAND

Spain 

Big Cry I started with this issue since 2009 and after 4 new fuel tanks, pumps, etc, etc; still happen!! Yawn
LR Spain doesn’t take any action to help me and solve this!! Every time, they say something different, just to charge me a new invoice. Has some one solved this problem??? Idea I have spent almost 10.000.00€ Evil or Very Mad Censored that’s because I love my G4, but… Question Question
 Yuri Bilbatua

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8 (from 06 G4 Challenge Event BN55WRJ)
16 DISCOVERY / LR4 HSE SV6 (Houston TX, USA) Waitomo Gray
13 LR2/FREELANDER 2 HSE SI4 (Mexico) Havana "Grey"
02 DEFENDER 90 Td5 Black Edition (Gone)
07 RRSPORT TDV8 Java Black (Gone)
08 LR2/FREELANDER 2 SE I6 (Mexico) Tambora Orange First Edition (Gone) 

Post #112083121st Jun 2013 5:22 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but was a solution to this ever found?

Post #153546626th Sep 2015 5:28 pm
robertofollia

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't think so. LR Spain are by far the most incompetent people ever!
I've had my D3 V8 since 2008, and no problem with that, only that orange light onli shined very very late, when range was almost 0.
Came to this post after searching because yesterday the gauge fell down to "0" with a full tank when doing a large journey from Chamonix to Spain, having to fillup every 400 kms to be on the safe side. Engine did not cut out though
 Regards, Robert
Only a closed filling station can prevent me from reaching my destination
1992 Santana 88"SWB petrol
1995 RRClassic 300Tdi
1999 D2 V8 manual coiler
2004 D2 Td5... SOLD!
2006 D3 V8 SE 

Post #184884519th Aug 2017 7:53 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I read another recent post about this, the writer claimed a system reset with the Iid tool or a hard reset cured it Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #184885819th Aug 2017 8:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >