Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Difficulty engaging reverse (manual)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CFB

United Kingdom 
Difficulty engaging reverse (manual)

I am having difficulty engaging reverse gear, sometimes it will not engage unless I put the car in neutral and rev the engine a few times. Even then it can require a firm push. I don't think it is right but wondered if anyone else had experienced this before I head to the dealer?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #3914325th Jan 2006 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It doesn't sound right, mine was slightly 'notchy' but has loosened up a fair bit in nearly 5k miles
There was an issue with one or two gearboxes mentioned on here a while back that required some adjustment for the same problem

Post #3914425th Jan 2006 10:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is exactly the same 50% of the time, had a nightmare trying to get it fixed, will try again one day when I can afford to be without the car for a while. Nowadays I just put it into 1st first if it's having one of it's stiff moments, seems to realign whatever is wrong. Seems to be worse if parked on a slope which make me think something is loose and moving that shouldn't be

Typically whenever you mention it to a dealer it will behave itself! Let me know what was wrong if you get a result from your dealer

Si
 The End  
Post #3914625th Jan 2006 10:24 am
yosser395

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have the same problem too --- worse when cold. If it won't go into reverse
i put it into second then it goes straight in .Something i've just lived with, must get it sorted if there is a fix .

Post #3918525th Jan 2006 7:20 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep, mines' worse when cold.

Been thinking about it today, my dealer can have three weeks to sort it when I'm on the PBC, that should give them plenty of time!
 The End  
Post #3919025th Jan 2006 7:34 pm
jkp

Scotland 

I get the same every morning. I leave the D3 in 1st overnight out of habit with the handbrake on. I will not go into reverse and needs to have the brake released and let it roll for about 6" or move it slightly forward to allow it to engage.
My driveway has a very, very gentle slope just to allow water to run off to the drain.

I need to make that call to the dealers me'thinks.

Post #3930126th Jan 2006 10:22 am
yosser395

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Spoke to the Dealer and Landrover customer care about this reverse gear selection problem .Guess What ? ---- Never heard of this fault before Rolling Eyes Booked in on Tuesday for other faults, so they can have a look at the gearbox at the same time. Keep you posted on the outcome.

Post #3972728th Jan 2006 6:48 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Not that I know much about this, but it has to be something to do with the oil if it's worse to get in gear when cold. Thicker oil, stuck everywhere in the box etc. I have stories of people refilling gearboxes with oil which is much too thick (EP90 etc) and then being unable to select any gears.

Is there a suitable oil which is relatively less viscous when cold which would suit the Disco 3 ??

Post #3972828th Jan 2006 6:56 pm
Bob

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I also have the reverse selection problem, I put mine into 1st and move forward very slightly and then I can select reverse.
It's been into the main dealer twice, 1st time the service manager told me it was characteristic if the D3, I was fuming but politely explained it was not “ characteristic” on the test drive or when I first purchased it!
I booked it back in and was told by the service receptionist that I was not the only one with a manual D3 to have this problem and Land Rover had a technical sheet on this issue.
I was told that the gearbox was re-aligned???, it was fine for a couple of weeks but is now back to the same problem.
Interestingly the D3 the dealer loaned me for the day was a manual with the same problem.
It will be due for a service in a few weeks time so I will take it to another dealer, close to work and raise it again.
But looks like my next one will be auto!
 DISCOVERY 3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #3980129th Jan 2006 5:26 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Bob wrote:
....and was told by the service receptionist that I was not the only one with a manual D3 to have this problem and Land Rover had a technical sheet on this issue.....

Not aware of a bulletin on this.

It would appear to be a characteristic of the manual box. Mine is the same, but it doesn't especially bother me. I suspect it is just a case of stiff selector forks.

I am not going to do anything, as I'd rather have a gearbox that works than let a dealer loose on trying to fix what is, essentially, a factory sealed unit.

Post #3981229th Jan 2006 5:49 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I thought along the same lines for a long time 'better the devil you know' and all that but mine is getting progressively worse, at times it's not just reverse that's difficult to get into.
Mine's booked in for a service just before I set off on the PBC so I'm going to get them to look at it then, they can have 3 weeks to sort it out which should hopefully give them enough time!
 The End  
Post #3981329th Jan 2006 5:53 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
...but mine is getting progressively worse, at times it's not just reverse that's difficult to get into....

Well that is clearly not right. Apart from reverse, and only when cold, the gearchange in all other gears is a single finger exercise.

Post #3981629th Jan 2006 6:00 pm
MVS

Can confirm that there must be somethig not exactly right as my origional manual was fine in all gears inc reverse when cold, in fact was a much better change than most mainstream hatches. That's even though the suspension was a pain.

Post #3981929th Jan 2006 6:09 pm
KenD

England 
Manual gearbox reverse

I'm also having problems with engaging reverse gear when cold. It's not to much of a problem at present, seems to go in if I engage 1st & 2nd before reverse, but I think I'll still contact the dealer just to put it on record in case it gets worse.

Post #3987029th Jan 2006 7:56 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

On the odd occasion I have difficulty selecting reverse, simply slip the car into second and then into reverse to cure the problem.

This does not only happen to D3's but many other vehicles, certainly that I have had experience of. In my view is simply a selector problem which is inherent in manual transmissions systems.

D.

Post #3988429th Jan 2006 9:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >