Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Advice needed on offroad trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Advice needed on offroad trailer

All inputs welcome. I can get a Conqueror Supra trailer with all tents , bulge one at the back plus the big canopy. It is equiped with watertanks and battery system. The trailer is in good condition. Was used 6 times , once to Botswana , once to orangeriver and the rest was camping not far from base. Trailer obviously has some stone chipping on a-fame and front but the rest looks as good as new. 16 inch rims and tyres (which doesn't help me much as I don't drive "prado" Rolling Eyes). The fridge is not part of the deal as well as gas bottles of which I have my own anyways. The price is R45000.00 and this is where I would like to hear what you guys think.

Post #34679920th Sep 2008 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Price sounds fair - but IIRC the Supra is quite small

Post #34719221st Sep 2008 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kabous

Thanks Heine , I decided to buy the trailer. I know it's a bit on the small side but at this stage it should do as I need it more for camping in SA parks and camps. When going into africa I prefer not to tow and I use my Defender 130 with rooftop tents.

Post #34721321st Sep 2008 5:57 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

heine wrote:
Price sounds fair - but IIRC the Supra is quite small

You guys back - or are you posting from "darkest Africa" Question
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #34770822nd Sep 2008 7:49 am
heine

Back from Zambia - currently in Cape Town.

Car went pefectly , not a single issue - had to get a bit of help going up a steep sandy bit on Hunters rd. Later discovered I had forgotten to switch off the DSC Embarassed

Post #34868323rd Sep 2008 7:00 pm
Kabous

Such an advanced vehicle , it's a pitty it doesn't switch of the DSC by itself when in certain programs Confused

Post #34874923rd Sep 2008 9:14 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

blame the yanks love of litigation for that! Rolling Eyes

Post #34875423rd Sep 2008 9:19 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome back guys.

Tea-time this Friday 12:30 at the Dros in Midrand?

Welcome to the Conqueror family, Kabous. The trailer at 45k was a great deal IMHO.
They are lightly built, but take a great deal of punishment.

Stone damage on the A-frame is a standard problem. I think it was Atacama that suggested I paint the A-frame with rubberising paint - I am defo gonna do this before my next trip.
I also had some canvas stone deflectors made - I think you saw them. Haven't tested them yet, but they look the part. Will post a few pics once I get down to the garage with my camera again Smile

If the axle setup is the same as the conquest, you can simply buy another slightly wider axle (can give you the measurements if you like) with blank hubs and have the hubs drilled to fit D3 wheels. Shouldn't cost more than about R2.5k if you do the fitting yourself.

Post #34952825th Sep 2008 9:50 am
Kabous

Thanks Baben. I had quite an interesting experience on my way to Kgalagadi , it felt like my D3 lost power for about a second , kept on driving and thought it must have been my imagination , shortly afterwards all hell broke loose on the dash; DSC fault , transmission fault , suspension lowered , special programs not available , HDC fault I nearly shi.... I mean had a heart attack. I then stopped switched off , on again and continued just for all to happen again. I then started figuring the only change that happened was the lights came on as they were on auto. I then unplugged the trailer and continued without incident. The next morning went to autolec in Kuruman, after checking we saw that an earth wire had somewhere shorted and melted and the whole harness was replaced at R680 which IMHO is not to bad. So just wanted to share the experience with others , might help someone in future.

Post #3529601st Oct 2008 9:28 pm
Baben

Scary stuff. Your troubleshooting procedure was spot on though. Do you know how many people would not start with the latest addition

Post #3530191st Oct 2008 10:36 pm
Jafter

South Africa 

Guys, first off hi there -!

I have heard that I need a special coupler for me to connect the off road trailer with aux battery in the trailer.

I can t just plug my trailer in?? Is this all true or is this a Prado driving trailer salesman winding me up?

Thanks

Jafter Confused Confused

Post #35880912th Oct 2008 6:39 pm
heine

You will find that the battery will draw too many amps when flat. IIRC the biggest fuse on the trailer out is 15 A . This is way too low . Run a sperate cable from the alternator , battery charging system or whatever and connect to trailer with brad harrison plugs

Post #35882012th Oct 2008 7:09 pm
Baben

HI Jafter

Speak to BRS or Front Runner (and I am sure the other guys know many more decent installers), they can do the fitment - for a proper install you should fit a battery isolator like is used in a dual battery system. You may want to consider a dual battery system anyway

Post #35913513th Oct 2008 12:25 pm
heine

What Baben said

Post #35914413th Oct 2008 12:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >