United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Glad to hear it Thumbs Up

V1.3 coming out later tonight Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6689706th Jul 2010 7:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bodsy, is that your Brake Bible on ebay for a fiver?, will it continue to be free for Forum members or do I need to download a copy quickly from this site Question Question

Post #6691977th Jul 2010 9:47 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

It is Phil, but it will definately continue to be free as a download from here and the club and I will continue to update it. I've put it on e-bay purely as an exercise to get it out to more people who may not frequent forums. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6692017th Jul 2010 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Harry TheBear

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just had to clean my EPB out as it was occasionally howling like a banshee, and therefore close to destruction, I believe. Mine is a manual, so the thing re-applies whenever you take out the key which was causing most of the problem, and there's no real option to not use it, either.

Some stuff different to the others:

1. The Torx (star) drive that secures the discs is a bigger size (around 7mm) than my bits. Found an imperial allen key that did the job though - bigger torx bits on the shopping list. Smile
2. Backing off 8 to 12 'clicks' (there's no clicking) seems a big variation. A Landrover mechanic told me to tighten each side up until I could just hear the shoes touching and back off one click. Tried this and it screamed as loudly as before I'd cleaned it out. Too slack, I fear Sad So I nipped it all up until I could feel the resistance of the brake shoes on the drum and backed off 2 clicks. Works fine now. Very Happy
3. No balancing or bedding in as I was only cleaning out brake dust.

And Importantly,

4. The EPB can be disengaged to work on by holding down the button when the key is removed. it works normally on re-start. Saves a lot of mucking about! Razz
 That which doesn't kill me, only serves to make me longer.  
Post #67839531st Jul 2010 10:42 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

1. It's a Torx T50 size FYI
2. It doesn't really 'click' but does kind of click against the retaining spring, so I guess more accurately, it shoudl say rotate it back by 8 of the knurled bits
3. Yup
4. Yup, for Manual vehicles only. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #6788852nd Aug 2010 1:26 pm
DerfelUK

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Bodsy's Guide ... just awesome!

What more can be said but just AWESOME!!!

It has given me the confidence to get in there and have a look to combat the dreaded pig squeal!

Will let you know how it goes!

Post #6790683rd Aug 2010 6:43 am
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I now have a copy of The Bible in my tool chest. Noisy EPB silenced following the simple instructions, £100+VAT saved! Rolling with laughter Bow down

Post #68351117th Aug 2010 10:43 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #68353117th Aug 2010 11:38 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Just done my rear pads.
Not sure if it's a new thing or not.

Looking at the Brake Bible it says to put the shamfered edge in the lower position. The new gen pads I have just fitted didn't have a shamfered edge.
There were no new shims in the box, so used the old set.
Of the 4 pads 2 had a sticky plastic label covering the rear of the pad. It doesn't mention this anywhere so I removed the label and put that side against the piston.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #68664927th Aug 2010 1:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Mark, I had heard a rumour about the sticky pad thing and no chamfer. Don't suppose you have the box part number do you so we can see if it's changed? Suprised they didn't have new shims in the box. Were then Gen LR?
Probably a bit late, but a photo would be great too so I can get the bible updated Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #68665427th Aug 2010 1:30 pm
GoatOfMendez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

When I did my rear pads recently they didn't have the chamfered edge either. Mine also had one side with a sticky pad. I put the sticky pad on the non piston side and have had no problems. I wasn't sure which side should have the sticky pad ... so I guessed Surprised

Post #68665527th Aug 2010 1:31 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Don't have a camera that works so no pic but the part number is

LRO 19627

Label on the side says

Discovery 2004- on rear
LR3 (USA) 2004- on
Range Rover Sport 2005>>
????????????????? 2005>>

????? = label missing/unreadable

Other info on the box are

1. Pic of a pad
2. x4 then E11 in a circle
3. 90R-01175/2426

Came in a gen box with a silver sticker over the end of the box. NOT a hologram just silver. But a decent size gen parts label.

Purchased from Bearmach in Maidstone at the end of last week.

HTH

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #68665927th Aug 2010 1:46 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

GoatOfMendez wrote:
When I did my rear pads recently they didn't have the chamfered edge either. Mine also had one side with a sticky pad. I put the sticky pad on the non piston side and have had no problems. I wasn't sure which side should have the sticky pad ... so I guessed Surprised

So which 1 of us is going to die a horrible death for putting the sticky pad on the wrong side. I hope is doesn't affect the warranty Rolling with laughter

Post #68666027th Aug 2010 1:48 pm
GoatOfMendez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MARKW wrote:
So which 1 of us is going to die a horrible death for putting the sticky pad on the wrong side. I hope is doesn't affect the warranty Rolling with laughter

The insurance claim form read: "I saw the slow moving, sad-faced old genlteman as he bounced off the bonnet of my car".

Post #68685527th Aug 2010 10:21 pm
ksuttle

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Electronic Parking Brake Repair

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the great information on this forum about EPB issues.

I had a screaming EPB that started back in April. The screaming had become more and more frequent to the point where I thought it could be dangerous during an upcoming trip and damaging to the transmission if I had to park on a slope without a parking brake.

After research here and on lrrforums.com, I decided I'd try adjusting the brakes on my own. Then I chickened out. Since I was going to be working just a few miles from a dealer, I decided I'd bring it in to them rather than my normal independent. Armed with all my research I told them what I thought they needed to do and then crossed my fingers hoping they didn't try to tell me I needed an new EPB module. To my surprise they were able to diagnose the problem and then clean and adjust the brake and EPB with only one hour of labor. I made it through a dealer repair for <200> $1000...

Post #70724523rd Oct 2010 6:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 13 <123 ... 567 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >