DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Buying new D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gvdm

South Africa 
Buying new D3

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know is buying a new D3 a good idea. Sorry I like it alot but cant ignore the "faults" and "bad" experience stories.

In my opinion its the best car i have ever driven. Can someone please shed a bit of light on this to me. As i need to make a desision on monday to the dealership to buy or not.

I would appreciate good and bad comments. (hopefully the good coments win)

Thanks very much for a nice forum site.

Regards
Gerrit

Post #34744821st Sep 2008 9:25 pm
Jads777

Guernsey 
Re: Buying new D3

gvdm wrote:
In my opinion its the best car i have ever driven.

I agree Thumbs Up

Post #34747521st Sep 2008 9:41 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Get one anyway. Thumbs Up

Ask here about dealers to take it to if you do have problems. A decent dealer can make owning one a pleasure.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #34769322nd Sep 2008 1:41 am
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

The new "S" spec. is a huge improvement , do have a look at it as well, depending on your budget that is. Also , I must say I get more joy out of my LR dealer then what I used to get from any Mercedes Benz dealer in my previous "car" life. Great car being driving it for the past 18 months(52000km) and I would't wanted it other wise.

Post #34770122nd Sep 2008 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you require the space (genuine 7 seater or massive boot space), unbelievable versatility (off- road performance par excellance or tar cruiser/racer), acceptable fuel consumption (my Tdv6 average 11,5L/100km) and ............ passion for the brand (optional extra) - this vehicle is for you Thumbs Up

but............

most of the stuff you read on this forum (well, my postings at least), are related to small irritations related to mostly electronic gadgetries which I do not understand, nor able to fix without a techie with a laptop and "top secret" software.

Eg Give me a mechanical hand brake with a lever attached to a cable attached to brake shoes which stops a drum - then I'm happy.

I do not know of anyone on this forum (at least the tea party crew) whose D3 has let them down totally and had to be recovered.

I totally agree with previous posts - make it clear to the dealer that buying (especially new ) from them you expect nothing less than 100% commitment and service.

Good luck with your decision - let us know the outcome Whistle
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #34770722nd Sep 2008 7:45 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

gvdm,
It's the best all round vehicle I have ever owned and no problems
at all. Mine is 18 months old and most of my mileage is off road.
Get one now Mr. Green

PS. Off to the bush on the 24th Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #34771322nd Sep 2008 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The only problems I have had relate to the fuel system - mainly because of lower emission standards in Europe which cannot be matched by our fuel.

For the rest, the vehicle is an absolute pleasure to drive and own. I also agree with the comment that despite the issues referred to above, the vehicle has never been needed to be recovered or towed. It simply goes into safe mode, which may even be a blessing since it avoids further damage.
 Frontrunner roofrack and ladder. Optima yellow top. National Luna dual battery system. Bridgestone Dueler D694 A/T.

Christian Faure 

Post #34860723rd Sep 2008 3:39 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Not often that you see the word decent and Anthony in the same post Whistle Twisted Evil Laughing

Post #34868223rd Sep 2008 6:55 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Wrong topic, Heine Thumbs Up

Gerrit - get a D3 and hurry up!
There are lots and lots of used vehicles available too, if you are looking for a bargain.
IMO the TDV6 is the best, but you can pick up a V8 for next to nothing now.

The best vehicle I have ever had, bar NONE

Land Rover Midrand are very very good with their service - speak to Nico or Stephen. I can certainly recommend them, and Alec in used vehicle sales is the best (he's the only guy I know that's balder AND shorter than me Rolling with laughter )

I think Heine and I can take some credit there for pushing them to the edge and beyond Smile

Take the time to get to know your local dealer service managers - go round there in a Friday afternoon with a case of beer in the boot and have a good natter with the guys - you will be amazed what the response will be if you ever have a problem after that.

Post #34954125th Sep 2008 10:50 am
jm105845

Ireland 2006 LR3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
new disco

hi

have one since mar 06 and it had one major issue(brake pipe broke behind the engine)fixed under warranty
sine then no probs(88000kms)
definetely best all round vehicle i have ever had
the 05 models were not good but since then with all the software upgrades they have have fixed nearly all
the problems
mine is up for change in mar09 and guess what will be getting another one

Post #34954525th Sep 2008 11:02 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
Wrong topic, Heine Thumbs Up

Embarassed

Post #35055227th Sep 2008 2:42 pm
JohnH

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
buying a new d3

I purchased my D3 new in May 07 from Sandton LR; a few minor teething issues-tailgate catch; theey replaced it; service from LR Sandton has been excellent. done 28'000km & its the best vehicle i've ever owned, esp in the bush.
 D3 TDV6 HSE, 2007, Gemini Dual battery System  
Post #35163829th Sep 2008 7:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >