Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Struggling to start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SN

Struggling to start

No heres a funny one if anyone's got any ideas other than "go to dealer"

Over the last few months I've notice mine turning over slower than I can recall when starting up. No bongy bongs or anything that would indicate battery voltage was dropping.

Despite this no issues until I went on my grand tour last week from Manchester, Gloucestershire, London.

I stopped at Strensham Services for breakfast and came out to find when that when I attempted to start my D3 after 15 minute stop, it really really struggled to turn over before firing up. Car started Ok'ish in Gloucester later in the day, but had to step at Heston Services on the M4 - again a real struggle to start after 10 minute stop. Two days later (car paked for 48 hours) leaving Central London, again was a struggle and again after another fuel stop at Warwick Services on M40 struggling again. Has been OK'ish all weekend since.

I don't think its the battery, but may be something related to starter motor when everythings warm - any thoughts?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #32430421st Jul 2008 11:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

If you find out what this is I'd be interested to know. Mine doesn't do it this badly, but seemingly at random some days it will turn over really well, others it seems to struggle a little bit.

Post #32433022nd Jul 2008 6:32 am
Neil Pettersen

One of the cells maybe failing .
This causes a current drop on heavy drain,but not a voltage drop on running state.
This is a warranty claim, if so.
I assume your battery is the same age as the vehicle ?

Post #32434122nd Jul 2008 7:53 am
neophyteguy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Funny, mine was a bit sluggish this morning. Just seemed like when I turned the key over that it didnt turn over right away. More like it was priming itself and then turned over slowly.............I've started it a couple of times since then with no problems though.
 Picked up my new MY08 Stornaway TDV6 SE late Feb. FULLY STOKED! Thanks in advance for all the advice/tips you guys have shared on here!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1961 Karmann Ghia - Audrey
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #32434322nd Jul 2008 8:17 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Steve, my last D3 did that for a while before the starter motor died, so don't be too surprised if you turn the key one morning and nothing happens
 The End  
Post #32435422nd Jul 2008 8:48 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Has a similar problem in my defender 12 months ago and its started soing it again now. As slimer said it could be the starter motor. I found the starter turned over really slowly but the problem was intermittant. Eventually all the starter motor would do was "click".

Turned out the motor itself was absolutly fine but the solenoid was knackered due to all the wading and mud. Not sure it you can buy the solenoid seperate amd save the cost of an entire starter motor.

your problem could be something totally different though
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #32436022nd Jul 2008 8:59 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Had exactly that 2 months ago, got slower and slower and eventually stopped.. LRA to the rescue! Was the starter motor and it was replaced under w'tee. Water ingress apparently.... No argument about changing though. I'd exaggerate the symptoms to your dealer, say it's not turned over at all a few times and get it replaced while under w'tee. They have a bit of a reputation of failing on vehicles that are used 'properly' Smile My avitar was taken the week before it failed, good job that had nothing to do with it!
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating! 

Last edited by xtc on 22nd Jul 2008 11:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #32445122nd Jul 2008 11:20 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Starter Motor
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #32445322nd Jul 2008 11:24 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Agreed, Starter motor Amature short develping most probably,

Particularly if no other errors, other errors to say battery.

Have fun
 TDV6  
Post #32449722nd Jul 2008 1:19 pm
SN

glad others seem to concur - and anyway the D3 needs cleaning again after my greenfielding at the weekend, so another trip to the dealers would be good Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #32450622nd Jul 2008 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

It must be catching Rolling Eyes

Ive started having exactly the same problem.

Went into the dealer this morning (MJ Fews), they tested the battery, all ok and said "yes you are correct, it could be the starter motor, we'll order a new one" Thumbs Up and booked it in for next week Thumbs Up
 Duncan
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #33147612th Aug 2008 12:29 pm
SN

Well mine went in yesterday for GS Stockport to have a look at the problem (alongside a full brake pad change) and they could find nothing wrong with the battery so are fitting a new starter motor today
Post #33148312th Aug 2008 12:42 pm
SN

Got it back this afternoon - WHAT a difference! I reckon its turning over at TWICE the speed it was when (I thought) it was OK, not when it was at its worst...
Post #33170412th Aug 2008 9:02 pm
DiscoDunc

this is likely to be a frequent problem when the warranty runs out. Anyone know how to change the starter motor. I looked underneath today and cant even see the starter motor Rolling Eyes
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #33173312th Aug 2008 9:23 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm having the same problem to the extent that on some mornings when I turn the key it will click rapidly then turn over very slowly, at this point I'll stop cranking return the key to the off position give it a few seconds and then crank again, it will then turn over much faster and start the engine. I've put the battery on charge over night a few times and on these occasions the car turns over as normal, so my conclusion is battery fault rather than starter motor. It is as if the first turn of the key seems to kick start the battery into action. It is a strange one in regards to the frequency and timing of the phantom flat battery problem as this can occur after the car has been running for 4 hours(run to Scotland at the weekend) stopped for 10 mins struggled to start or stood overnight. Tested the battery with Wiggs last week with a high drain tester and the battery level dropped slightly into the weak section, his did not using the same equipment. I just cant get my head round the fact that the battery looks to be duff being less than 12 months old and has not had short journeys to contend with. It may be a combination of duff battery and starter motor its just getting time to book it in with the stealer.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #33216914th Aug 2008 12:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >