Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Kaokoveld Trip: TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Kaokoveld Trip: TDV6

Back from 3 weeks to the Kaokaveld. Nothern Namabia had lots of rain and flooding in March/April 2008. According to the Himba elders they have never so much rain in Marienfluss and Hartmannvlakte. Instead of red Namib dunes in Hartman, we saw grass and herds of springbok, many oryx and giraffe. Landscapes Thumbs Up
Except for wasting two AT2 Grabbers (255 60 R18), with sidewall damage, no glitches with TDV6 that handled all that Africa could present. Could plug one sidewall, the other one sheared into jelly. Sidewalls not strong under load, despite being run at high pressures to keep sidewalls up. No problems with front tyres that does not carry so much of load.As usual, had to carry a lot of fuel and supplies.
We travelled from Ruacana along the Kunene via Enyandi to Epupa Falls (5 days) then Van Zyl's pass and back to the Kunene up the Marienfluss (4 days) and also the Hartmannvlakte (3 days) thereafter via Rooidrom pass to Puros via the Khumib and Hoaruseb rivers and then via Hoanib to Sesfontein and to ZA.

Many sections of the tracks had been washed away. Currently these are some of the worst "road" and offroad conditions according to locals. As usual the offroading being better in places than the roads. Saw some cruiser boytjies doing rally driving and flipping a caravan in Van Zyls pass. Also reports of trailers being damaged /flipped where the tracks are nonexistent due to having been washed away: thus they find "alternate routes" to accommodate the less than nimble, but some turned around.

The D3 handled everything with ease and driving was a pleasure. Rocks, slippery slopes, BAD gravel, heavy sand and river crossings. Of 6000km, about 1200km spent between Ruacana and Sesfontein. Had Jeep Cherokee and Isuzu that could not make some dunes. Had to snatch the Isuzu on belly in Hoaruseb. Due to load and heavy driving conditions offroad consumption went up to above 18l/100km but in general between 15-16l/100km, overall offroad below 15.5.

After Sesfontein on the way back had to change diesel filter in Windhoek (LR dealership with excellent staff, ask for Fritz). Very Happy I recommend them 100%.

Mantec front protection plate did its job well and I am more than happy for having discarded the tupperware front. Well travelled FR roofrack and Bushwakka drawer system worked well. NL 80l and dual battery system kept us and lagers cool.

Happiness is me and the D3.

Post #32131313th Jul 2008 11:37 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Welcome back - tell me more about why you had to change the filter

Post #32138513th Jul 2008 7:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AP Moller

heine wrote:
Welcome back - tell me more about why you had to change the filter

Heine,
Back on tar on the way to Outjo I overtook a truck. at 120kmh "engine system fault" plus some "transmission" flash that went before I could read it wtith "special programs" off, came up and engine lost power. Slowed down to about 100/110kmh, put in neutral and power recovered, but ony until I tried to give power to accelerate beyond 120/130. I could get it to creep up to 135kmh when slowly picking up speed (Got to windhoek at 120kmh with good fuel consumption!). When pushed past 120 after the first "engine system fault", no other messages followed.

Diagnostics in Windhoek showed that fuel presure low, thus the filter replaced (a terrible place to access) and all went well back to Cape Town. I had the D3 in for a pre-expedition check/service a week before I left. No report about fuel pressure or filter. I assume that extra diesel from Opuwo that I had arranged to be brought in to Marienfluss may have been dirty. No sign of trouble during trip tough. LR Windhoek says that most blocked filters are on D3's entering via Botswana.

OTT: Confused Heine, a question: I have had a strange engine or turbo whine at 120kmh -- when at constant speed for about 2-3 months & when I accelerate or slow down it goes away. (Not the roof rack). At June 08 service LR Cape Town said they cannot hear it.
Have you heard of this whine/pitch before? Any ideas?

Post #32140913th Jul 2008 8:30 pm
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That's exactly the problem I am now sitting with. Week 4 and still no resolution.

They have replaced fuel pump last year, now injectors (to no avail) and now I am waiting for a new fuel tank (and apparently another pump inside the fuel tank). All due to insufficient fuel pressure.

Honestly, at this stage I am not a happy man. I love the vehicle and its capabilities, but the ownership experience is not worth it at the moment... Evil or Very Mad I would trade all the sophistication and class of the Disco 3 for reliability.

Post #32152014th Jul 2008 7:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

By the way. The story of blaming the bad diesel on Bostwana is b...t. They change the story depending on where you last filled up. Usually to try and absolve blame.

In Namibia, all our fuel comes from SA and they have spun the same line with me.

Post #32152114th Jul 2008 7:43 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry AP no idea . Maybe one of the more learned members will have an idea Confused

Post #32152314th Jul 2008 7:46 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

AP Moller wrote:

OTT: Confused Heine, a question: I have had a strange engine or turbo whine at 120kmh -- when at constant speed for about 2-3 months & when I accelerate or slow down it goes away. (Not the roof rack). At June 08 service LR Cape Town said they cannot hear it.
Have you heard of this whine/pitch before? Any ideas?

I had a whine at about 124 -> 132 km/h, dealer also could not hear it (well for at least about 3 services). Turned out to be the front diff, replaced it and now the whine is gone.

Try run the same speed in command shift 5th and 6th, if the whine is still there in both gears thereis a good chance it is your diff.

Post #32159014th Jul 2008 11:10 am
AP Moller

PSC thanks,
your description matches the paramaters of the whine I hear.
All well now?

Post #32169314th Jul 2008 3:00 pm
PSC

AP Moller wrote:
All well now?

Yes, perfect, I was a bit worried about the Dealer changing something like a diff, but they replaced the entire assembly.

Post #32176314th Jul 2008 5:22 pm
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Alwyn.

Welcome back. It sounds like an awesome trip, and you really tested the D3 to the limits. Ban news about the AT2's. Makes me think I should have gone for the BFG's after all. How did you get the kids to sit in the car for that long???
Post some pics when you can.

Andrew.

p.s. surely no Hummers in the dunes this time?!

Post #32178614th Jul 2008 5:53 pm
SteveV

South Africa 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Speaking to my dealer in Windhoek during my last trip to Namibia he was saying that he knows of quite a few friends who have complained about dirty diesel and all have said that the common demonator has been Total filling stations. He also had fuel problems after filling up at a Total garage. Could be coincidence but that is what they are saying. It would be interesting to find out if you guys filled up with a particulay brand?

Post #32180714th Jul 2008 6:58 pm
AP Moller

PSC
My car's in for service and was told that whole front assembly only removed where there is an oil leak. (After FR roof rack removed, next week i am taking car back for the noise -- which was now acknowledged but not yet explained).
Did you have an oil leak?

Andrew. Very Happy Am missing Nam already. The kids were self-sufficient and had about 30 books, the camera and each other. Mother and daughter are amateur geologists (the picking up of pretty quartsite, sodelite and any crystal/ stone - type). I was regularly "forced" to stop to for allow stone browsing and landscape photography. We did go to some amazing spots and cool stuff like swimming in the Kunene Marienfluss rapids (after chasing the closest crocks away) goes a long way ... A great holiday.

The tracks were not easy and I never felt there were any taxing obstacles that we could not handle. You would be p Censored d at the amount of scratches: not good for the paint job. (No Hummers seen).

The AT2's need to be pumped hard to keep sidewalls up: and the slower the better. After wasting 2 tyres kept speed (above 20kmh) down on BAD tracks. Expedition rims (not 18inch mate) and tyres (Coopers; ST2?) is the solution, I believe. I'd go for the 17 inch with a proper tyre.

Ready for Wupperthal? Thumbs Up

Post #32303917th Jul 2008 12:52 pm
PSC

AP Moller wrote:
Did you have an oil leak?

Not that I was aware of

Post #32305017th Jul 2008 1:28 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

SteveV wrote:
He also had fuel problems after filling up at a Total garage. Could be coincidence but that is what they are saying. It would be interesting to find out if you guys filled up with a particulay brand?

This is interesting - the first failure I had again after running for a long period without problem was after filling up at a Total in Alldays. Question

The very first time in happened was after putting in about 30L at a very small and suspect Shell in Botswana - the vehicle was only 2000km's old Exclamation

I try and fill up at Sasol/Excell - for what its worth Whistle
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #32394121st Jul 2008 7:48 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Also just back from Nam, 3 D3's and a Hilux. Did the tourist route (Etosha, Damaraland, Swakop and Sesriem). With all the rain they've had the country is looking fantastic.

AP, I had the same noise as you and my front diff was replaced a couple of days before I left. A common problem apparently - problem solved. I also agree on your summary of the Grabbers. They were fine for most of the trip, but in Damaraland we went offroad and they felt susceptible to sidewall damage, got nicks and small cuts on all the tyres. Wear is not great either - I think I'll be lucky to get 50k out of a set (still better than the Wranglers though). Agreed that you need to go 17" and STT for the serious stuff.

No problems with fuel in either Bots on the way through, or Nam - filled up at a variety of stations, all in decent sized towns. All the D3's performed well, no hassles apart from one puncture on my mates vehicle, and a slow tyre leak on mine. Had to change the tyre in Upington and battled to get the spanner on due to swollen nuts. Had to use a rubber mallett to "encourage" the spanner on. Will check with LR today what the cause may have been, but if any of you have an idea Whistle

Overall consumption, with RR loaded, was 12.6l/100km.

Post #32395621st Jul 2008 8:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >