DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Alternative jack when changing rims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sbarnham

Australia 
Alternative jack when changing rims

Guys,

I have a second set of rims and the factory jack is such a pain -- slow and fiddly.

Wondering about getting a trolly jack, but not sure where to use it ?

Question 1: Does anyone use a trolly jack on their D3 ? What point do you lift ?
Question 2: Anyone got a better solution ?
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #2965308th May 2008 11:24 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I use a trolley jack and also an air jack . The trolly jack has a nice big receiver plate - so I normally place it under the suspension as close to the wheel as possible

Post #2965398th May 2008 11:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d34me

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I also have a trolley jack so that I can change my wheels for dirty weekends. I lift 1 wheel at a time from the same spot the original jack is supposed to go.
 Disco 3, Gold TDV6 HSE, rear e diff, kaymar rear bar, ARB bullbar with front parking sensors, Warn winch, 110L auxiliary tank, dual battery, GME UHF, Lightforce spotties, Cooper ST's, LR snorkel, Expedition roof rack.  
Post #2968669th May 2008 1:08 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

d34me welcome
Was your D3 featured in a 4wd magazine a while ago
 Pete  
Post #2968719th May 2008 2:17 am
d34me

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

norto wrote:
d34me welcome
Was your D3 featured in a 4wd magazine a while ago

It wasn't featured, but it has been in Overlander magazine for the Drive For Life trip. I didn't have a lot of the accessories back then. Is that what you are referring to, or is it mistaken identity? Smile
 Disco 3, Gold TDV6 HSE, rear e diff, kaymar rear bar, ARB bullbar with front parking sensors, Warn winch, 110L auxiliary tank, dual battery, GME UHF, Lightforce spotties, Cooper ST's, LR snorkel, Expedition roof rack.  
Post #2968759th May 2008 3:29 am
norto

Unfortunately, mistaken identity
 Pete  
Post #2968789th May 2008 3:39 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you get a trolley jack make sure it is at least 2.5 tonne to make lifting an easy and safe task.

I lift each corner under the chassis rail near the suspension arm then stick an axle stand under the chassis rail near the jack. There is no need to change suspension height, just do it in normal height. If you have a flat concrete surface it make it that much easier.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #29774312th May 2008 2:58 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day,

I use a 3 ton trolley jack and pretty much have the tyre changing down to a fine art after swapping tyres about 3 times now - takes about 30 minutes to swap all 5 wheels - this includes wiping down all 10 tyres/wheels and putting the unused set away Very Happy

This is probably a no-no but I just place the trolley jack under the suspension arms and only jack enough to raise the tyre about half a centimetre off the ground. The trolley has a large round plate at the jacking end and I have a piece of rubber mat on it to prevent scratching the suspension arms.

This makes it really easy to get the wheels off and to put the second set on - there is virtually no lifting of the heavy wheels/tyres on/off the hub.

I also think this is much safer as I am literally only raising one corner wheel at a time - the car/chassis is not raised at all. I only need to raise the suspension arm a total of about 1.5 cm. This is a lot less pumping of the trolley jack compared to needing to raise the chassis about a 6 - 12 inches before the suspension reaches full droop and the wheel leaves the ground.

One thing to watch out for when jacking this way - when the suspension arm is slightly raised, the computer thinks that the car is not level and will actually level the vehicle - it WILL do this even when one or more doors are left open! Shocked Shocked This happened last friday when I had the rear driver's side suspension arm raised slightly (tyre was half cm off the ground). The car levelled itself even though I had the front passenger and rear doors (cargo area) open.

I always thought that leaving a door open will stop the suspension from changing height but it appears that this doesn't stop it from LEVELLING itself.

Cheers.

Post #29775912th May 2008 6:18 am
norto

I use a 12 v rattle gun (plugs into the cigarette lighter)
to remove the wheel nuts...it works well
 Pete  
Post #29776512th May 2008 7:27 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

First flat I had was on a rather soft beach. Did everything right (eg door open, max height, etc) but stuck on a beach it had a slight tilt away from the flat tyre (thank goodness). The bl@ody beast decided to do a self-level. That liquified the sand under the 3 remaining tyres and the jack and it sank to the frame (and the jack nearly disappeared). Shocked
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #29812313th May 2008 4:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >