DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ANYONE HAD THEIR ALTERNATOR GO POP?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
warrior22

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ANYONE HAD THEIR ALTERNATOR GO POP?!

Hi all,

wondered if anyone had had the same experience or could shed some light on this.

The story basically was last year in Cobham in Surrey when all the flooding was about. Cobham was pretty much under water. A friend was having a birthday on the Friday evening so I went and was greeted by areas ranging from a foot to over a meter in depth, especially up the high street. Thought, no problem, this is why I've always had Landy's. Did a fair bit of ferrying around that night, not least going to pick up the curry and beers! Water was lapping around the air intake a few times but all ok. Then a week later I was up in Leicestershire; same issue - lots of flooding and a fair bit of deep wading.

Two weeks later I'm on my way to Slovakia for a wedding via Luxembourg to pick a friend up. Got as far as Mons when red battery light comes on. Oh Censored , methinks. Think, could be alternator is working but just not charging battery, therefore don't turn off engine. Or could be alternator's knackered and only have charge in battery left. Land Rover Assist can't get to me for a few hours and will only tow me to local Dealer who will 'look at zit in ze mourning'! Not good enough and ain't gonna sit around till then and miss my mates wedding. So plough on through the Censored ' rain to Lux using as little electrics as possible. Two hours later, warp core ejected, Zero power, we're going' down! All systems start shutting down. There's more bings and bongs going off than on an underground tannoy system in London! Beginning to get a bit concerned now, but being the stubborn git that I am, think 'Just take it easy, it's a diesel so it'll still keep going - and only 60 miles to go in this horrific weather with about four electrons floating around in my battery to keep my side lights on!'

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I did crawl into Luxembourg to my mate's place, just. Landrover Assist did sort out a recovery vehicle and took it to a dealer in Trier, Germany, just across the border (only because my mate told me the one in Lux is Censored !) They also, and this is the best bit, organise that very evening, a replacement vehicle for us to continue our trip to Slovakia that next morning - a FIAT SCUDO!! Class!! Did you know, they do nigh on 115mph flat out! Quite impressive for a pope-mobile! We got to Slovakia that evening, got blasted in a castle, had a great wedding weekend, zoomed back to luxembourg, picked up the Landy, all fixed - new alternator and battery, and still got home for tea and cakes Monday afternoon!

So, after all that, the question is, does anyone think it had something to do with the wading?
Very Happy Shocked [/b]
 Don't be paranoid.........'They' don't like it!!!!!!!
Currently: Land Rover
Previously: Other Land Rovers 

Post #28828717th Apr 2008 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe Smile Smile Laughing

Post #28834118th Apr 2008 5:50 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If it was to do with the wading I'd guess it was because the alternator had a fault anyway and maybe water got into places it shouldn't normally Confused
 The End  
Post #28838418th Apr 2008 9:10 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think it is a possibility, you mentioned water close to the air intake level. that is a bit above, the max wading depth, which I am sure is set conservatively. if you travelled at that depth at low speed for w while it's possible some water got into the alternator and shorted it.

Best not to worry about it now as the great warranty god has come to visit.

Very Happy
 TDV6  
Post #28839718th Apr 2008 9:28 am
warrior22

Thanks guys. No problems since. Just wondered if it had happened to anyone else. Very Happy

Post #28922120th Apr 2008 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimbo81

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had my alternator go, just for no reson.. on the way to work one morning and the battery light just came on. luckly have LR dealer close to work so drove straight in, they had a look and said it was the alt gone pop, fitted new one - no problems since. strange.. so may be nothing to do with the wading at all.. who knows. Confused

Post #29253527th Apr 2008 9:31 pm
warrior22

Jimbo81,

strange one mate. If yours went pop with no wading it makes me wonder WTF it actually is. I think it's a Bosch alternator, might be wrong, in fact I probably am. As you say though, no problems since. They must have been fitted on the Friday afternoon preceeding a bank holiday! Very Happy

Post #29255127th Apr 2008 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >