Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oil leak from around turbo area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JVTCrossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Oil leak from around turbo area

Hello guys I've researched countless forums with no clear answers so thought I would create a post to see if see if anyone has any advice.

I've had a replacement engine fitted to my Discovery 3 (TDV6) after 2 years of waiting (let's not get into that &#129324 anyway happy to get it home only to find after the first successful drive that was was an oil leak dripping from the front left control arm area. On further inspection it seems to be from the turbo area. Didn't seem to be a major leak but would certainly lt leave enough on the ground to make it noticeable. Was hoping it would be as simple as a lose feed pipe but no such luck. From what I can see it seems to be coming from the front of the turbo on the intercooler pipe.

took it for another drive as it really wasn't leaking enough to be concerned immediately. This time the oil pressure light came on when the oil got warm. The next day I thought I would change the oil just incase the wrong oil was put in. When I drained it I would estimate 4 litres drained. I don't belive the leak was bad enough to cause that much oil to disappear.

I have 2 real questions. I know i don't have any pictures to help with this right now but is there any known causes that would cuase a leak from the turbo area that would be common before I take the Turbo out and replace it also could the oul be leaking into the likes of the intercooler and some been stored there? Secondly the oil pressure might be unrelated but could there be a link there? My plan is to change the oil pump for my own peace of mind even tho I was told the engine had got a new pump 6 months before being swapped into my Disco.

Post #237400026th Jul 2024 11:20 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

disconnect the intercooler pipe, (usually best done on drivers side) and drain off any oil. I would expect some anyway.
Usually you would then drive and recheck a few weeks later.

Oil pressure light is a big worry. Maybe you want to take it back to where you got it.
or check the actually pressure with a gauge

Post #237402326th Jul 2024 4:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >