Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
D4 engine

I have a2014 D4 and she as and still is the car for me , but at some point I know the engine will fail 😥, but I have read that disco Mike put a 3.6 V8 in his D3 and also Williams engineering did a M57 bmw conversion, so here’s a question for you geniuses out there, whilst my D4 was in the dealership recently waiting five weeks for a part LR extended warranty gave me a 110 defender and she performed very well towing my 2ton tin hut , so what are the possibilities of putting the 3 ltr ingenious engine in a D4 ? Obviously also doing the chassis suspension etcetera and keeping her another ten years, ps the wife prefers the D4 and me

Post #237115615th Jun 2024 11:21 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The Ingenium Engine has problems as a Google search will reveal - IIRC they include timing chains & oil dilution, both of which usually result in a new engine being required.

I would stick with the present engine, and put aside a heap of money for when something is needed.

NJSS

Post #237115715th Jun 2024 11:35 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My view, don’t worry about it, it may well do another 300,000 miles, and if it doesn’t, act on it then. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #237115815th Jun 2024 11:39 am
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well I have been putting some money to one side, and also spoken to oval autos , on worse case scenario, they have some very good reviews, but lr extended warranty as served me well with piece of mind so will not worry to much until it runs out 🤞🏻

Post #237115915th Jun 2024 11:58 am
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You say "I know the engine will fail" but if you are talking of the crank/rotating shells issue then in percentage terms do you?(no engine/mechanicals have infinite life after all)

Far cheaper to pay for a recovery service contract to give you peace of mind and just look after the engine in the meantime. Regular oil/filter changes, no abuse and routine servicing above the manufacturers spec and it could last for decades. It could end up that tinworm is a bigger problem.

After all recovery doesn't care if it is the engine/gearbox/drivetrain that failed. Fit a new engine and then you actually only have higher confidence in that, nothing else.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #237116815th Jun 2024 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >