Removed and Replaced CJB and Now Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wwoodrum

United States 
Removed and Replaced CJB and Now Problems

Hello, everyone--
2006 LR3 SE V8 4.4
I removed the CJB recently to fix the drain tubes because of a wet passenger floor. After I installed the CJB I am getting a rather frustrating problem. Once I start driving beyond 35 MPH or thereabout the DSC (Triangle/Arrow) light begins flashing and the ABS engages. After doing this on and off for a new minutes (DSC engaging with sudden braking) the DSC lights sticks on and I get HDC error, special programs unavailable, and the suspension is lowered.

I have pulled out the plugs in the back numerous times and replugged, but to no avail. I have replaced the brake light switch twice, checked wires underneath the sill on passenger side (but both sides have wet carpet) and replaced brake light bulbs.

I have numerous errors with the code reader, but I keep thinking it's that damn CJB that I wish I'd never have removed because I was so much better off with the wet carpets.

Thanks for any ideas

Post #236876313th May 2024 6:07 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Do you have a fault code for the SAS? (steering angle sensor) If so, the collar on the steering shaft that engages with the sensor can become detached and no longer turns with the shaft. The result is that the SAS does not know the position of the steering wheel and has a hissy fit.

If this is the case for you the solution is to use a small amount of adhesive to re-bond the ring to the shaft.

There's plenty written on the subject if you use the search function above or see link below. Do not get adhesive anywhere near the SAS itself, and it can be easily removed from the shaft in about 10 mins if you feel the need to. The ring can then be accessed without the risk of cross contamination of adhesive.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic138700.html
Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236878714th May 2024 12:08 am
wwoodrum

United States 

I’m not getting SAS errors—looks like traction control connected to vehicle dynamics module (abs). See attached:

Click image to enlarge

Post #236925421st May 2024 3:22 am
PROFSR G

OK so that looks like a TCM module issue but still could be a CJB problem. Unplug the TCM and see if there's corrosion on the pins. It's a common enough fault especially if water got near it due to failing bonnet (hood in Americano) Laughing seal.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236931321st May 2024 7:11 pm
wwoodrum

United States 

I've done that and even opened it up to see if the board was fried. Everything looked ok and no corrosion; however, I've thought about buying a used one and swap it in to see if there are any changes. I've considered that maybe I need to do a Steering Angle calibration -- I'll try that today with my Autel Maxi AP200 which uses Diag-Europe and has the SAS functions....

Another issue I thought about was replacing the All terrain control module (which I think is just the center switch stuff under the shifter) as well...I have replugged that CJB so many times...

Post #236931521st May 2024 7:56 pm
PROFSR G

TCM is VIN locked so used one will not work, but SAS recalibration is worth a punt even though the codes suggest a coms issue.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236931621st May 2024 8:05 pm
wwoodrum

United States 

I've read that sometimes the TCM can be swapped with no issues, so was willing to take a chance. What's weird is the behavior of the car. When I first turn it on, no codes -- everything is good. Now when I get it up to about 30-40 miles an hour, the DSC light starts flashing and the ABS activates and it feel like it's coming from the driver's side corner of the vehicle. Eventually the light sticks on, HDC fault, suspension lowered.

I can avoid these errors and the ABS coming on if I turn DSC off before getting it up to speed. However, eventually the HDC fault appears, DSC light pops on, and the suspension lowers. I have messed with that CJB many times -- I wonder if it's fried ... if so, I'm just going to sell the thing for a song and stay as far away from Land Rover as I can. Who the F designed these things?--they deserve a special circle of hell.

Post #236932021st May 2024 8:57 pm
wwoodrum

United States 

PROFSR G wrote:
TCM is VIN locked so used one will not work, but SAS recalibration is worth a punt even though the codes suggest a coms issue.

I did the SAS calibration when I got home and the problem has been resolved. I want to thank you, PROFSR G, because your initial reply pointed me in the right direction. Now I just need to figure out why the rear windows will not activate up or down…

Other than that the AC doesn’t work because I think the lines are busted.

-Will

Post #236934922nd May 2024 1:42 am
PROFSR G

AC is kaput because gas has escaped. Usually its a condenser leak but could also be a solid line fault. Glad you got the main fault sorted, now all you need to do is dump the Autel and get yourself a proper diag tool.

If the SAS needed calibration the tool really should have been able to see that. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236935022nd May 2024 2:14 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well you have a fault code for window relay.
That relay is soldered into the cjb and can’t really be changed.

Someone here has back feed a power supply into the fuses as a work around

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/rear-window...ar+windows

Post #236936322nd May 2024 8:38 am
wwoodrum

United States 

Hey, Pete K, I just used a workaround yesterday with some fusible links from the Rear Left and Rear Right window fuses in the CJB to the bottom connection of the Cigarette Relay in the CJB. It worked perfectly and now I have rear windows again and no fault codes for the Body Control Module!

What I have left are the Parking Assist Sensor Codes for all 4 sensors. Does that mean the module is bad or is it more likely each sensor is bad? When I put the car in reverse there is a buzzing that comes from the rear of the vehicle and the Parking Light button flashes in the console.

The other issue is the AC system has no pressure and that just sounds like a monster of a job to replace the compressor (hear it's in there super tight),. lines (maybe reroute to the front of the vehicle only), and the condenser...not sure the vehicle is worth all that $$ because I'd likely want it done professionally as it sounds beyond and amateur. However, I can turn a wrench but I can also roll a window down now (in Washington State near the Canadian border).

-Will

Post #236956224th May 2024 6:57 pm
Pete K

What code Messages are you getting? Is the bumper loom plugged in?

AC could be easy. Fill valve or condenser.

Post #236956724th May 2024 8:17 pm
wwoodrum

United States 

Click image to enlarge

All four sensors in the rear. Not sure if there are sensors up front.

Post #236957324th May 2024 11:03 pm
Pete K

Odd its all 4 sensors, and Intermettiant.

Not sure what to recommend, inspect the bumper loom if you want, ensure all connected. Replace a sensor or 2 and see if those fault codes go.

You probably need 4 working sensors for the system to function I suspect, so it's just a diagnosis step

Post #236958525th May 2024 10:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >