DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Garages labour and part costs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Garages labour and part costs

Hope this finds everyone is keeping well

Wow , don’t know if it’s just me but parts and labour prices from garage quotes seem to have shot up this year

However I’m wondering if it’s because the age of my D3 which is now 19 x years old , Had a MOT advisory for my lower rear wishbones

Got a few quotes to supply and fit a pair of rear lower wishbones, pair of panhard rods and 4 x wheel alignment , quotes ranging from £1200-£1600 for non genuine items , me buying all the parts myself from advanced only come to around £500

Would understand if it was for the rear uppers but not the lowers , so spoke to my neighbour very nicely and he said he will do them for me if I tell him what to do , will have to think of something as he won’t take a penny

Wondering what kind of prices everyone is getting plse for various jobs and if you’ve also found them increasing as ur disco ages

Did get an impact wrench which I’m hoping will make life easier in undoing the nuts , has a break off nut torque of 1790 Nm, also have a 2” and 4” angle grinders with some thin cutting discs for any stubborn ones

As always many thks listening to me waffle on 🤣🤣, would be extremely interesting hearing from anyone on quote prices etc plse

Last edited by gstuart on 17th May 2024 1:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236893716th May 2024 11:49 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Cant help on quotes since i'm other side of the planet and do all my own work, from the rusty buckets i've seen here and on FB make sure you get new bolts for the arms as well.

Post #236893917th May 2024 12:57 am
gstuart

Hi mate and many thks

Indeed will get all new hardware , will also do the same for these wishbones in applying a few coats of dinitrol inside and out to help them last longer

As the warmer weather is here i want to get a few other bits done, ref , replace door window weather strips as there bubbling

Replace drivers side door window switch, shame the door panel has to come off as the loom isn’t long enough to detach the connector

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Post #236894117th May 2024 1:52 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hope you have more luck with your impact wrench than I am having! I bought this one:

and can't even get my wheel nuts off with it! I torque the nuts to 140Nm by hand and easily take them off with a 600mm breaker bar, but for some reason the DeWalt, with the quoted 950Nm max, can rattle away for ages with no effect! Confused
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #236894517th May 2024 6:32 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Garage bills have shot up in the last 2 years

Huge shortage of techs, so they command a massive wage premium over as little as 2 years ago. Our local dealer is now offering £20p/h + a sign on bonus Shocked

Insurance has shot up, due to vehicle thefts. My own premium went up by nearly 35%, with a ridiculous excess for theft claims

Rent has also gone up, and business rates have increased

Then the usual electricity/gas/fuel costs

A garage will likely have a subscription for their diag gear to keep it up to date, as well as a subscription to a tech manual. For an annual Topix sub, and programming sub for SDD/Topix Cloud now costs around £5,500

Also, one last thing to bear in mind. If a garage supplies and fits a part, it is warranted by the supplier/manufacturer. If the part fails in the warranty period, the garage will replace the part FOC*, labour included
If you buy from an online supplier and have another garage fit the part, should it fail, the supplier will replace the part, but you'll have to pay the labour charge again

*T&C's apply Laughing

P.S: Should have bought a Milwaukee Whistle Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #236894817th May 2024 7:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Worms wrote:
Hope you have more luck with your impact wrench than I am having! I bought this one:

and can't even get my wheel nuts off with it! I torque the nuts to 140Nm by hand and easily take them off with a 600mm breaker bar, but for some reason the DeWalt, with the quoted 950Nm max, can rattle away for ages with no effect! Confused

I’ve got one of those and having no problems. Easily gets things undone. Are you sure you’ve got the power switch on max? I got the crank pulley off a Series 2 engine the other day, they are a big nut very tight and rusty! It removed it no problem. The only thing is, they are heavy and cumbersome for 1 handed operation.

Post #236895017th May 2024 7:39 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I've also got the DeWalt and again have no trouble with either Discovery or Defender wheel nuts. I've found it to be a great bit of kit.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #236895517th May 2024 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
I’ve got one of those and having no problems. Easily gets things undone. Are you sure you’ve got the power switch on max? I got the crank pulley off a Series 2 engine the other day, they are a big nut very tight and rusty! It removed it no problem. The only thing is, they are heavy and cumbersome for 1 handed operation.

Yes, all the reviews are good and everyone else has no problems, so it is obviously operator error in some way! I'll check the settings properly next time. So far, the D3 has been a delight in terms of ease of loosening nuts - I guess it has needed so much work that few nuts have been left untouched for long! Smile
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #236895617th May 2024 9:12 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Just paid a £524 bill for 1.5hrs .....

Post #236895817th May 2024 9:39 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Just paid a £524 bill for 1.5hrs .....

£350 an hour ! Must be a main dealer. Whistle

Post #236895917th May 2024 9:53 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

My Sister's choice of probate solicitor....... last bill was admin, email, post, review

Post #236896117th May 2024 9:59 am
DIY Pete

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Of course you can do the Probate yourself, I recently had to apply for probate (2023) and took a look at the paperwork involved. If you mess it up, will create extra time and a redo and reapplication to courts.

I paid something similar and thought well worth the cost, not something you always say about solicitors!

Pete.

Oh, off track. I have a Milwaukee but again adjust for torque.

Post #236898217th May 2024 2:02 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I needed to change the turbo diverter valve, the dealer identified the leak and gave an eye watering quote. I queried and it included 3.5 hours at £170 an hour. Big Cry
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236900317th May 2024 6:10 pm
gstuart

Many thks as always Thumbs Up

This was the one I got , the guys who built the 4 x wheel drive mini uses them so fingers crossed will work ok

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/kielder-kw...arger-case

have dewalt but changed over to Milwaukee , very impressed with the Milwaukee impact driver in how it will effortlessly punched screws through timbers like it’s nothing

As a side note got rid of all my posi drive screws and replaced them with Torx, considerably better

Regarding the rear lower wishbones and panhard rods I just hope there nothing like the uppers , at least if the nuts won’t come off on the rods there in a far better position to cut them off

Fingers crossed by measuring the old and new rods I can get it roughly badk in the same position , still have my bush extraction kit in case the lower knuckle bush needs changing , did replace the top one when I done the uppers

Thks also mikey about the parts warrenty situation, the ones from advanced are covered for 4 x years

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit616-r...8062-p.asp

Rods are a 3 x year warranty, will of course fit all new nuts and bolts and give the new wishbones and rods a few coats of dinitrol like I did with the uppers, have changed from copperslip over to ceramic grease and wondering if the ceramic grease is still better than using copperslip when reinstalling the new bolts plse , thks

Need to also find the torque settings

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr019117...0970-p.asp

Understand it’s more expensive the first time u buy a new make but great like other manufacturers sell body only drills etc , Very grateful as always for the info

Last edited by gstuart on 18th May 2024 7:30 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #236902218th May 2024 6:50 am
gstuart

HairyFool wrote:
I needed to change the turbo diverter valve, the dealer identified the leak and gave an eye watering quote. I queried and it included 3.5 hours at £170 an hour. Big Cry

Must confess Doesn’t surprise me ref dealer prices, remember when my drivers door actuator failed they quoted me around £500 to supply and fit one + vat , also done that myself and think the actuator was around £70.00 plus the window suckers I got instead of using tape to hold the window up

Credit to u mate for doing the work yourself, alway so satisfying saving alot of money

Post #236902318th May 2024 7:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >