Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Drivers side headlight washer only dribbling - New valve ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Drivers side headlight washer only dribbling - New valve ?

Searched the forum and internet for info but can't find what I need. Grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.
My drivers side headlight washer is only providing a small dribble when I use it. Passenger side is fine. I've removed the jet which seems clear and feed pipe only dribbles when jet removed. So I am wondering if the one way valve or the pump.
I can't work out how to get to the one way valve. Is it accessible through wheel arch liner removal or do I need to take out the headlight?
Also is the pump for headlight washers the same for both headlights?
Very grateful if anyone has any information . Many thanks
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Last edited by Gary_P on 16th Aug 2024 2:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #237522115th Aug 2024 4:39 pm
Gary_P

Just bumping this, and adding that unfortunately the workshop manual I have, from here, says it is for 2013 onward models but isn’t, so doesn’t include the one way valves .
Many thanks
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #237526916th Aug 2024 10:25 am
Gary_P

So update on this. Thought I would replace the one way valve which is a common fault. Got to it through the wheel arch liner. It’s very difficult to get to that way, but didn’t want to remove the bumper.
Pushing the new valve on is difficult as the pipe is very short and you have to do it with one hand as you can’t get both arms/hands in even when using the fog light hole.
Tried the washers before after removing the old valve and still not a lot coming out, although there was washer fluid coming out from somewhere further back I believe. Perhaps a split in the pipe?
Even so, I thought I would try a new valve. I bought genuine Landrover valves, which have no direction indicator marked on them! Tried the valve round both ways but still nothing. Strange , I couldn’t hblow through the valve in either direction. I bought two new valves and they were both the same in this respect (perhaps it needs more pressure?).
The washer jet was held with a metal clip pressing on a plastic plate glued to the inside of the bumper, this became unglued whilst I was fiddling around in in the hole above the fog light. Strange, none of the diagrams show this plastic plate as a part and Landrover spares say it isn’t available.
Have now left it unfinished and will book it in to get it sorted as Headlightwasher failure is an MOT failure.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #237563521st Aug 2024 8:16 pm
Gary_P

Thought I would update this, as I like to close things off.
It's been into my indy today and they have fixed the drivers side headlight washer. They had to remove the bumper and found a pinched/crushed hose to the jet. It's possible the bumper was taken off a few years back when some work was done for me, but I thought the washer was working earlier in the year. Strange. Anyway, new hose fitted and fine now.
Apparently they have to test the one way valves with a pressure set up to check the correct way round as they don't have direction arrows on them any more. Blowing through just not strong enough. They re-glued the washer jet plastic mount/clip onto the inside of the bumper as this came off when I was feeling around inside.
Obviously the labour makes this a pricey headlight washer fix, as they had to get the bumper off and on again, but not as bad as it could have been.
The other good thing is that it passed the MOT.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23792339th Oct 2024 5:00 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

I for one, appreciate you sharing this turn of events and fix.
But there is a lesson here, investigate before fixing. Glad its worked out for you.
Cheers
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #237979118th Oct 2024 12:58 pm
Gary_P

Agreed on more serious things. I took a chance on it being the one way valve because others have stated it's an issue that can cause these symptoms, pump was working, washer working on one side etc, plus I could get to it myself and not break anything or make anything worse.Full investigation needed bumper off. I think the important thing is to know when something goes beyond your capability ( knowledge, expertise, tool, working area). I wasn't going into the realms of bumper off, so off to the indy.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #237979318th Oct 2024 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >