DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Tow bar mounted bike rack - Wiring help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 
Tow bar mounted bike rack - Wiring help please

Happy New Year all!

New to the forum but finally got around to sorting a swan neck tow bar and a bike rack for my 2016 D4 Landmark (from new).

The job looks easy and I'm pretty sure even I should be able to manage it. But I am confused as anything about what I need to sort the wiring.

I have bought a Buzz Rack Eazzy 4
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel...vENRS%60uT

This comes with 13pin connections. As far as I can work out, my D4 has connections already factory fitted. I've checked the nearside rear compartment and I find three connector blocks that are not connected to anything. In total, these only have 11 wires going into them though.

I need to work out what additional pieces I need to buy. From what I've read (mostly here: https://www.disco4.com/forum/tow-bar-wirin...bar+wiring) I need a wiring kit to join the connectors in the rear compartment to the tow bar electrics. This will include new grommets and will have a plug socket that I bolt on beside the swan neck tow bar.

Is this correct?
Are all three of the spare connectors in the boot connected up to the wiring kit? Is this a no brainer and they only fit on one of the sockets on the kit?
Is there a part number for the kit I need?
Is there a recommended (cheaper/OEM) version available? Smile
Once this is fitted, do I then need to visit a dealership to get the computer setup correctly? I won't be towing a trailer, just using a bike rack. I can't figure out if this is a required step to 'turn on' the connectors or if it's something to do with the tow assist and stuff.

Very grateful for any help.

Post #23573941st Jan 2024 5:02 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hello and welcome! First would be to fill in your profile as that will help enormously in providing answers to any questions you may have Thumbs Up

In regards the tow electrics it’s probably one of the easiest jobs to do on a disco! Plenty of kits available and I’d certainly recommend getting one of the dedicated kits rather than a generic one as it will save you having to change any of the settings on the car to get all the functionality that the car offers. Don’t forget the loom comes in two parts (and is different for a D4 from a D3 so buy the right one !). Remove both rear lights. You just need to connect up in the rear cubby (and secure the module) and them push through to connect via the rear lights and secure the socket in an accessible place.

You don’t mention if you towbar is fixed or removable, if removable take it off when not using before someone else does! And make sure you keep it well lubed..

Try using the search function as there are several good threads on doing this.. and enjoy the new car!
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23573961st Jan 2024 5:17 pm
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 

Thanks nigethecat.

I'm not sure what additional details anyone would need in my profile. Is there something more specific you need?

I'm glad I picked the easiest job first. It doesn't bode well that I'm struggling with it Rolling with laughter

I wasn't aware that the loom came in two parts.

I thought the swan neck tow bar was the removable one. That is the one that I have. I also bought the bolt on bracket to secure it a little better. I will defo be taking it off and locking it away when not in use.

I have already used the search function and did find this post to be the most helpful. [url] https://www.disco4.com/forum/tow-bar-wirin...bar+wiring[/url]

However, I am still unsure of the details around the questions I asked.

My list of questions grows though... In the above post, it talks about different parts for different VINs:
"Different part numbers are quoted to Vin 5A9999999 and from 6A000001"

Is this shortened VIN the last 9 characters of my much longer VIN?
And if the last nine of my VIN starts 5GAxxxxxx - Is that a later model than 6A000001? I would assume so as I bought it just before they discontinued the D4.

Post #23573991st Jan 2024 5:37 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

These cars come fairly well equipped for towing with dedicated sockets in the left rear corner storage cubby to access them. If you go to the PF Jones web site you can look for a dedicated wiring kit and download the fitting instructions without having to buy the kit. (I get all my bars and wiring from there anyway) That way you can get an idea of what is involved before you start.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/land-rover-disco...507pf.html

There have been some issues with the removable bar falling out to the extent that LR were offering an upgrade to new owners for the heavy duty fixed bar. I have looked through mine carefully and and if fitted properly I don't really understand how they fall off but even with the securing plate I would remove, clean and lubricate at least once per year to ensure that you can remove it when needed. I may remove my HD bar later on.

A 6Annnnnn is 2006, a GAnnnnnn is indeed 2016.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23574011st Jan 2024 7:10 pm
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 

Thank you HairyFool. That's great info. I will check out the .pdfs.

So the VINs are counting up in hex. Of course Idea

Only thing now is to sort out the computer. I note that the pfjones .pdf does indeed state that you need to go and get the trailer operation setup.

Is this still a requirement if I will only ever be fitting a bike rack on the tow bar? Does anyone know exactly what changes are made to the computer?

Post #23574091st Jan 2024 9:39 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi TangoOscarMike

Re your profile.
Go to the desktop site. Click on Profile. Scroll down to My Land Rover. Select your Model, year, engine gearbox, spec, colour

Then when you post a question, anyone can under your name click on the icon of your vehicle and see these details. It just helps when you ask a question, to 'cut to the chase' quicker, there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum.

Cheers Blake

Post #23574151st Jan 2024 11:12 pm
HairyFool

TangoOscarMike wrote:
Thank you HairyFool. That's great info. I will check out the .pdfs.

So the VINs are counting up in hex. Of course Idea

Only thing now is to sort out the computer. I note that the pfjones .pdf does indeed state that you need to go and get the trailer operation setup.

Is this still a requirement if I will only ever be fitting a bike rack on the tow bar? Does anyone know exactly what changes are made to the computer?

If all you intend to do is use a bike rack you could get away with a 12N lighting connector.

I'm not sure I would hamstring its use by not fitting 13 pin or by not having it recoded, you just never know when it might be useful being able to tow.
Post #23574171st Jan 2024 11:20 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would fit 13 pin out of choice as you never know when you may wish to tow . not enabling in the CF will not stop it working in any way . It just means things like rear fogs will still come on when the electrics are plugged in.

Post #23574232nd Jan 2024 7:28 am
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 
You're all brilliant! One final question.....

Thank you all. So much help, I know exactly what I'm doing now. Except...

The handbook states:

"Battery disconnection, removal, and replacement should be carried out only by qualified personnel. Consult a retailer/authorised repairer. An unqualified person may cause damage to the vehicle."

I'm guessing disconnecting the battery BEFORE trying to add the electrics is a MUST. Do I really have to take it to the shop? What do I need to do to disconnect the battery? Are there two of them? Are they easy to find? It's a 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark.

<edit> I found this YouTube video that explains battery replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwwgMrYlVE
Is it as safe and easy as YouTube says? Any other gotchas aside from Window reset?

Post #23574752nd Jan 2024 5:57 pm
HairyFool

The complication with yours (the same as mine) is the auxiliary battery in the box on the opposite side to the main battery.

In order to “disconnect” the battery both must be isolated which is a complication beyond some so they consider it beyond everybody unless trained.

If needed then both negative terminals should be removed remembering that until both are done the car is not safe. I would just do everything else before actually connecting in to the car loom, only because I come under the definition of “skilled”.
Post #23574842nd Jan 2024 6:52 pm
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 
Thank you all!

Laughing
Brilliant. Thank you HairyFool.

I'd also figured to do all the prep before plugging in the connectors to the live end. I'll be taping those ends up though or else I'll 'forget' to disconnect the battery.

Thank you all so much for your help and assistance. I've not had my sleeves rolled up and hands under the bonnet for probably near enough 30 years and I feel this simple project could cost a lot if I don't do it right. Thanks to all of you, I'm now confident that even I shouldn't be able to stuff it up!

Post #23575273rd Jan 2024 8:31 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

FWIW if you are just plugging in the connector block ,I would not be disconnecting the battery.

Post #23575503rd Jan 2024 11:11 am
HairyFool

Get the cable through and wire up the socket. Leave it and do something else, then go back and double check the socket is wired correctly before assembling it.

Checking something immediately after actually doing the job is not always effective, revisiting after having different thought processes is more effective.
Post #23575683rd Jan 2024 2:40 pm
popsdosh

If you buy LR original looms they are pre wired and sealed to stop moisture getting in and no actual wiring needs doing including the 13 pin sockets. Just to add they also have their own dedicated fusses which are accessed through the hatch in the back corner.

Post #23575873rd Jan 2024 5:12 pm
TangoOscarMike

United Kingdom 

HairyFool wrote:
Get the cable through and wire up the socket. Leave it and do something else, then go back and double check the socket is wired correctly before assembling it.

Checking something immediately after actually doing the job is not always effective, revisiting after having different thought processes is more effective.

Good idea. Thank you.

Post #23577004th Jan 2024 5:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >