DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bonnet Release - Disconnected Cable Fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Bonnet Release - Disconnected Cable Fixed

The end of the release cable inside the car (passenger footwell) has decided to jump out of the lever holder every time I pull on it. Having taken the lever off, I can see how the cable end sits in the holder. It almost looks as though an edge have chipped off, but when looked at closely, it looks like it was made that way.
Click image to enlarge

I can probably superglue the end or place something over the end, glued down to keep it there, but if the part as failed I would rather replace the part.

Thoughts anyone?
EDITED title changed as cause identified. Please do NOT reply with tips that could disclose security gaps with bonnet security. PM much appreciated though.
Edited to show fixed
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time. 

Last edited by Barn1e on 15th Jul 2014 9:56 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #131059413th Jul 2014 11:59 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

I thought I would glue a small block onto the lever to stop the cable ending popping out. Went to fit the lever back on, only to discover that the cable will no longer open the bonnet Big Cry
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #131071213th Jul 2014 7:42 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I sure does not look right at all Barn1e
And obviously it is not working right either Wink

I don't have my own vehicle to check right now, but i am pretty sure there should only be a small slot for the cable into the round hole that actually holds the Nipple.

It looks like the claw bits have broken off and both sides have done so at slightly different places or it could be that the RHS is not broken at all and that is where the slot should be.

I would just replace the whole handle. After all, even at LR parts prices, it can't be that expensive.

Post #131102214th Jul 2014 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks. Things have taken a turn for the worse since my OP. With slack in the cable, the nipple at the other end at the join under the bonnet (beside wing) has become detached. Now I can't get bonnet open. Big Cry

I know the procedure (that cant be mentioned on here in case some thief uses it) to open it wthout the cable, but so far I have not had any success. About to give it another go. Hate the though of taking it to the dealer for them to charge me to open bonnet.

I think it was that cable being stretched that allowed it to pop up of the lever that was start of this nightmare. New cable called for.
Post #131102914th Jul 2014 4:50 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Definately a chunk of plastic missing there Barn1e. Thumbs Up

Post #131103014th Jul 2014 4:51 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks DN. I have not been able to open bonnet so plenty of cursing. Think I may have to go to dealer. Waiting on a PM reply from Geoff first though.

Overall I would say the latches got tight, that stretched cable and broke the bit shown above. Because it came out of lever assembly, it was loose enough to come out mid point join under bonnet. Morale of story, keep latches operating smoothly. Replace a stretched cable ASAP.

Now for more cursing.
Post #131106214th Jul 2014 6:05 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Right. Half way there. I can now open drivers side latch. One more to go. Don't think my offside technique will work though. Any advice via PM pls. Don't want to give too much away on open forum.
Post #131107714th Jul 2014 6:34 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Well, I am over the moon. I can't say on here how I managed to get access to the junction box that connects the two bonnet release cables together, but I did. All I can say is that you can flex parts of a D3 a lot further than you would think possible and the headlamp unit can be removed without damage and without removing any other parts or opening the bonnet.

If your D3 is getting old, put a couple of cable ties around the bonnet cable junction box beside the FBH (Fuel Burning Heater) to make sure it cant spring open and allow your one and only method of opening the bonnet with ease to be lost.

If anyone reads this in years to come, PM me and I will, if you are a forum regular, explain all.
Post #131162115th Jul 2014 10:04 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Barn1e

Glad you finally got to get your bonnet open.

Fair play to you for not giving up.

I recently had a bonnet cable snap on a P38 range rover and it is not funny as it leaves you very much dead in the water.

Also thanks for your candidness and williness to help any genuine case in the future.

I hope the replacements sort this out for you and do not cost too much

ATB

Colin

Post #131288218th Jul 2014 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Hi Colin
To answer your question - £7 for a LR OEM lever assembly and cable. Bargain.
Happy birthday by the way and cant wait for the Nanocom to arrive.
Barn1e
Post #131598825th Jul 2014 7:04 pm
Welshdragob3

England 

Barn1e wrote:
I thought I would glue a small block onto the lever to stop the cable ending popping out. Went to fit the lever back on, only to discover that the cable will no longer open the bonnet Big Cry

How did you manage to replace the cable ? I have the battery and fuse box in the way so was wondering how you fitted your cable ? Many thanks

Post #232647913th Feb 2023 11:50 am
Dad635

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Would love if someone could PM me how to get bonnet open. Just went to release it and lever was completely slack.
Sad

Post #232704317th Feb 2023 2:13 pm
Welshdragob3

England 

I opened the bonnet with ease without breaking anything .my only issue is trying to thread the new cable through from the pull lever into the engine bay grrrrrrrrr

Post #232704417th Feb 2023 2:30 pm
cj_uk

United Kingdom 

Hi Folks, I'm having the same issue with my bonnet release, would anybody be able to pm me details of how to open it, as I'm completely stuck.

Many thanks

Craig

Post #235010211th Oct 2023 8:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >