Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sill question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Telfordsteve

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Sill question

At my last MoT, the examiner passed the vehicle but took me to one side and told me that there is rust in the sills, although not visible because of the plastic covers. He went on to tell me that he can't fail what he can't see, wink-wink. He and others had advised me to get the work done, and it usually costs around £1K for each side to put right.
I've decided to tackle this myself as I have a welder already and the sill covers are only about £150 each. I've only had a cursory look so far and the only visible rust is on the O/S/R wheel arch where it meets the sill. I plan to expose all of the sills, clean them up from rust and muck, apply a little Fertan rust convertor and then set about repairing and sealing them.
My question is if anyone has any experience in this and any tips? Would I be able to kill the rust and plant the whole piece (LR064258REP & LR064259REP) on top with some plug welds and all the holes for the trim line up, or would I have to remove the old piece completely? Finally, which is left and which is right hand? I always thought you decided which was which when you stand in front facing the engine, your left hand being the LH?
Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help.
Steve

Post #23384673rd Jun 2023 12:02 pm
Marshall8hp

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Reference to the vehicle LH or RH is from the rear looking forwards, hence UK vehicles being RHD.

The rest of the world uses the same system, always from the rear looking forward. For some reason the UK persists in the near side, off side thing, which is entirely dependent on which side of the road you drive on.

Post #23384723rd Jun 2023 1:34 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had this done at a body shop two years ago. They had to cut the whole piece out along the skills, and they soldered the wheel arches. When you remove the covers you'll most likely discover a world of pain, so get that welder going!
On a side note, I didn't think they could fail a vehicle for rusty sills when it's got a ladder frame? After all the body isn't load bearing in any way?
Best of luck Thumbs Up

Post #23384983rd Jun 2023 4:39 pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

Be prepared for the middle strengthened and inner sill to need metal letting in as well.

You’ll possibly find the bottom of the arches want a bit of work, did mine myself earlier in the year didn’t bother buying panels and bent the metal myself.

Post #23385093rd Jun 2023 5:49 pm
Telfordsteve

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Crikey! Thanks for putting up the photos, I'm planning on doing the prep next weekend if it doesn't rain. Out of interest, how far apart are the spot welds on the bottom flange for drilling out, or had yours just disintegrated?

Post #23385684th Jun 2023 9:34 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

No worries, whilst there was a fair bit of work as the are flat sheet with bends the panels are easy to make and fit.

Can’t recall how far apart the spot welds were but the sill is ridged like a draining board is underneath so it’s quite easy to see roughly where the spot welds are.

Post #23385844th Jun 2023 3:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >