Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR Cooler Bypass / Coolant Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
EGR Cooler Bypass / Coolant Leak

Hi all - wondered if you could sanity check my temporary (and therefore probably semi-permanent) solution for a coolant leak I've found. I've been topping the coolant up every few days for a couple of weeks and finally got round to hooking up a pressure tester, to discover that I've got a fairly significant leak (under pressure) from the hose into the left EGR cooler.

Pulled out the battery and the tray to have a closer look, but with the AC pipes and EGR valve still in place I can't see how I'm going to get to this hose easily.

Fortunately my EGRs are blanked, so having looked at a diagram of the coolant system I'm thinking of simply blanking off the coolant pipes at the positions marked with arrows in the diagram below:

Measurements are outer diameters of the pipes in question for when I go looking for blanks. The logic of doing it in these positions is that I have a plastic t piece at the front of the engine coming from the water outlet, and the metal pipe looping over the top of the engine at the back, both of which could have a silicone blank with a hose clip attached fairly easily (something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223738020113).

Rear pipe:

Front pipe:

This would also preserve the operation of the thermostat(?) on the water outlet t piece.

Any reasons why this shouldn't work, given that both EGRs are blanked? It's a 2005 car no wax thermostats on the EGR coolers that I'm aware of, looks like a straight-through connection.

Many thanks for your thoughts!
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232757922nd Feb 2023 10:23 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

dont know the answer of do or dont do it,
but
if I was considering doing a temp Whistle repair I would go for connecting the 2 pipes together rather than blanking each one, that way the coolant flow is still maintained.

just a thought.

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #232761222nd Feb 2023 5:21 pm
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Joining the two pipes together is certainly the plan in the long run, as far as I'm concerned that would be a perfectly valid way to bypass the coolers, but it looks like a ramp job (or at least a lot easier on a ramp) which won't be possible for a few weeks at least, so will blank them in the meantime. Also crossed my mind that that fewer pipers involved in the coolant circuit the fewer opportunities for coolant loss!

I've ordered the relevant caps to get the blank off job done so will report back on whether I experience any spontaneous combustions, explosions etc...
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232763822nd Feb 2023 9:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >