Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Back from 1st REAL off road trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Back from 1st REAL off road trip

Returned day earlier due to heavy rains and winds in Mabuasehube where we were camping and break-in at the house - yes a real sh Censored t homecoming after an awesome trip.

No issues with D3 whatsoever - except sun roof which did not want to close, but is 100% my own stupidity Embarassed - loading firewood onto roof rack with open sun roof not a very clever idea as all the dirt settles in the rails, add a bit of rainwater and you have a lekker little mud bath up there Exclamation Got it sorted by blowing air via 12v compressor into all the nooks.

D3 towed heavy trailer like a dream through thick (sand) and thin (gravel) Thumbs Up The two DC's in the convoy complained bitterly about the corrugated roads between Nossob and Tweerivieren - I had tyres down to 2bar and almost felt no vibration at all. Based on one of the existing topics had TR in SGG or Sand all the time and after getting used to slower throttle response is a pleasure.

Saw only 2 other D3's on the SA side of the park - none whatsoever on the Botswana side.

Tyre dog TPMS worked well although one sensor seems faulty - I stuffed some tissue paper between the battery and the screw-on cap - will see if I can replace with new one.

Fuse blew on one of the Brad Harison circuits which I had to replace with a normal in-line fuse as Carl never told me he had such fancy fuses fitted - will take some spare with me next time.

Now all the camping gear is out to dry and D3 needs a bath !

Post #2962687th May 2008 4:30 pm
Pelyma

England 

Any pictures?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2962807th May 2008 5:21 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sounds like you had some fun Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2964187th May 2008 11:09 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Deon,

How was the D3 on the road from Mabua to either Tshabong or Hukuntsi(I'm assuming you went that way). I hear the middelmannetjie is high. Did you have to go into off-road height and stay there, or were you alright to be in normal height.

I've just booked for Mabua and KTP next year (Rooiputs, Polentswa, Matopi and Mabua Pan - 7 nights in the park). Very excited. Some pics?

Cheers

Rob

Post #2964528th May 2008 5:50 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rob

The roads leading to the KAA entrance from Hukuntsi and in general were not as sandy as I expected. I tried to stay in off-road mode as far as possbile, but some areas have double tracks - to prevent head-on collisions - where you can easily go up to 70 km/h. Middel mannetjie never posed a problem except a couple of heavy "speed humps" when I could here the trailer coupling scratching. I had no problem with heavy trailer - so without trailer one can have a lot of fun. Bear in mind that your average speed will probably be in the region of 30 km/h - one easily under estimates the distances. We bush camped on the way to Hukuntsi which was a great experience. Hkuntsi relatively big - some well stocked shops and a bakery where we bought bread straight out of the oven.

Roads are overgrown so you will DEFINITELY SCRATCH YOUR VEHICLE - maybe you want to go the film protection route like Heine

We enjoyed Polentswa the most, overlooks a big pan with large herds of buck - very clean neat facilities (no water though) and two jackal who will carry everything away - found my sandals 10 and 4 meters in the bush and fellow camper not that lucky - her sandals probably tasted better - they're gone. 3 lions also visited one night - but stayed well away of the camp.

Post #2964788th May 2008 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >