Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Water Ingress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
1powerrack

England 
Water Ingress

After not using the D3 for 4 days I opened the door to that musty smell, thinking sunroof drains have done their bit, I lifted the drivers rubber mat and yes the drivers carpet was wet very wet, it never stops raining we’ve had weeks of continuous rain, checked the passenger side and it was dry!
So there are no signs of dampness on the roof lining or the drivers A pillar, meaning more than likely the rubber outlet pipe through the inner wing was rotten as we have seen before.
I set about temporally sealing the sunroof with tape and started the task of removing the water, drying the carpet, 2 days later and a lot of heat gun time the carpet was getting there so I wedged blocks under the carpet to allow airflow and checked the rubber pipe outlet on the driver’s side, it looked ok and newish, I think I remember the former owner saying he had done the sunroof drains.
Next I removed the tape sealing the sunroof, rain had stopped, and poured a few drops of water into the sunroof tray and immediately saw water dripping between the top of the A pillar plastic trim and roof lining, points to drain pipe not connected to sunroof drain outlet.
Removed the drivers sun visor and drivers grab handle to look at the sunroof drain outlet but saw the pipe connected and looking like a new pipe, next I dropped a little bit more water onto the sunroof tray which showed the water was over flowing the tray about 2 inches to the left of the outlet pipe (looking towards the centre of the sunroof).

That’s as far as I got because the rain came back so I had to seal up the sunroof again, my next step I was thinking of removing the pipe connected to drain outlet then rodding down the flexible pipe and rodding backwards through the sunroof outlet pipe.

I thought I would start the car just see if all was ok, car started but the instrument panel was not happy, lights kept flashing on and off, the engine was running ok, so I stopped the engine and then turned key to position 2, self-check and dash light s came on but then they flashed on/off with
Self-check showing again, also the rev counter and speedometer needle were flickering, now thinking if water has also dripped onto the instrument pod.

Anyone experienced the instrument pod like this after water ingress?

in the image above the the illuminated lights were flashing
 D3 4.4 V8 2005 sadly now gone
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #23220659th Jan 2023 9:58 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Take a look at this thread:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/not-sunroof...hlight=the

Your answer may start from @ half way down page 2.
Since I posted this several others have found the same issue on their D3
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #232219510th Jan 2023 7:51 pm
1powerrack

England 

Nasher thanks for the advice,
yesterday the rain was biblical so nothing was done, this morning there was about 2-3 hours clear of rain, I poked the drivers side sunroof outlet with copper wire and push said wire along the sunroof front edge just to check for debris, after I poured a small amount of water down the sunroof channel above the drivers side, no water was seen to overflow then checked the drain pipe where it exits through inner wing area, I noticed a trickle of water running down into the footwell from the rubber that is pushed through inner wing, think that's the issue so when the new drain pipe is delivered I will replace the whole pipe rather than the rubber end, fingers crossed.

last year I did reseal the roof seam on the LHD side passenger that was giving the exact issue you had and that cured the water ingress, I did think initially I was possibly looking at the same type of fault, update when Royal Mail has delivered the package
Triumph TR8 

Post #232233911th Jan 2023 8:17 pm
1powerrack

England 

sorted, it was the drivers side sunroof drain at the point where it goes through body, now all I need is 2 new hands as they are cut to ribbons, the man who designed that needs force feeding with laxatives for the rest of his life
Triumph TR8 

Post #232266914th Jan 2023 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >