Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Weird Fault I can't find the answer to
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Weird Fault I can't find the answer to

This fault is happening to both my D3 commercial and Range Rover Sport with the same 2.7 TDV6 Engine. 2008 Discovery 3 Commercial 2.7 TDV6 Auto.

When idling, idles smoothly, if you hold the revs at any speed, the revs bounce around 500rpm like it is hunting, and the same when driving. I can't see any topics the same as this, so don't know if I have searched the wrong wording.

But with my D3 commercial it happened while I was towing, One minute I was driving along and it was smooth, powerful and lovely, next thing the it was kangarooing while driving and if you accelerated harder you could hear it and see it more than feel it, so my first thought was the torque converter slipping, So got it back to my yard, then noticed it was doing it just by holding the revs at any rev number in park so not gearbox related, My fuel gauge is faulty as the sender in the tank 1 minute gives a false reading of empty and next minute tells me the correct level of fuel, so I thought maybe I had run out of fuel as it then cut out on me. Then it would just crank and crank and crank, so I gave up and left the car alone for about a month, then went back to it with a couple of cans of fresh diesel, and without letting the glow plugs warm up like a knob, I turned the key and sure enough after it cranked for a while, it fired into life briefly whilst coughing and sputtering then cut out.

Again, I have walked away from it.

I am having a similar issue with the Sport, but that was genuinely low on fuel, in fact it ran out of diesel. That started doing the same thing with the revs but I turned it off before it cut out and then put a couple of cans of fresh diesel in it, now it does the same thing, revs bounce when driving and when just holding the revs in park.

Diagnostics didn't bring up any fault codes for either vehicle, at the time this happened.

At the moment I am out of action with broken ribs, but tomorrow I really need to get the Discovery running and driving just for 4 miles to move it to my new premises as I don't want to have to tow it with the Freelander.

Any ideas where to look please?
Could this be a fuel filter issue?

Thanks

Post #232009526th Dec 2022 9:22 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Change fuel filter as a starting point. Don't use cheap ones but be prepared to have to change again shortly.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #232009626th Dec 2022 9:33 am
Frisian Driver

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

And only use the right filters. Exclamation I only use the original Land Rover ones, because the can be different by the same order numbers.

Click image to enlarge

Post #232010226th Dec 2022 10:47 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If your fuel level gets dangerously low the engine will keep running for a while in limp mode before it finally stops, I would say this is the problem with the commercial the fuel level sender is faulty.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the situation will be along shortly. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232010326th Dec 2022 11:03 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

If there is a forced misfire due to fuel level (by design) there should be a DTC set. That said, how much good fuel did you put in? sometimes you need to put >10 litres in before normal behaviour is resumed.

The odd thing is more than one vehicle with the same symptoms - which tends to point to an external cause, where did you fuel them from? is the fuel contaminated? has it been bunkered and is suffering from mould? are the vehicles habitually run with low fuel levels? this can allow condensation to form in the tank and settle in the bottom of the tank, especially with the recent weather temperature swings.

Post #232011826th Dec 2022 4:37 pm
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

"The odd thing is more than one vehicle with the same symptoms - which tends to point to an external cause"

I agree. Same engine same fault, different cars. Got to be something external common to both. Fuel is all I can think of.

Post #232013326th Dec 2022 9:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

And the owner letting them run low on fuel Rolling with laughter

Post #232013426th Dec 2022 9:14 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

kevofcov wrote:
"The odd thing is more than one vehicle with the same symptoms - which tends to point to an external cause"

I agree. Same engine same fault, different cars. Got to be something external common to both. Fuel is all I can think of.

The only other thing that comes to mind is rodent damage to fuel lines or harness, it'd be very unlucky to have this on two vehicles, even parked in the same location.

Post #232013526th Dec 2022 9:39 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm in the "crap" (technical term) fuel camp and air in the lines.

Post #232040729th Dec 2022 4:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >