DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help - new transfer box now it judderes when i turn a corner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
will.i.am

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
Help - new transfer box now it judderes when i turn a corner

Hi Folkss, i wonder if anyone can help.

I just changed the transfer box (Genuine unit) on my Manual disco 3 and had it calibrated last night. its making a really wierd judder when i turn a corner on full or nearly full lock? Its almost like the centre diff is locked up but the noise/judder is coming from the trans somewhere not the wheels skidding or chattering to use a word for those of us that have had welded diff RWD's

any ideas from anyone? - Im worried that to continue driving i will get some sort of wind up and blow up the transfer box.

Post #219282810th Dec 2020 6:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What was wrong with your old unit, it could be an underlying fault that caused it to fail.
I would try calibrating it again just in case it didnt work properly last time.

Post #219283110th Dec 2020 7:25 am
will.i.am

thanks pal, so the reason i changed it was that the bearings were shot in the old box, it was grinding and a bad noise. this is a new kind of issue that I have never felt before. it's not a grinding or just a noise the whole car murders.

Post #219283210th Dec 2020 7:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How was it calibrated ?
I had very similar issue after changing TC oil (yes seriously) , it felt tight on near full left or right locks.... with a weird noise... the manual calibration method made no difference.
Nor did the first computerised one ( i borrowed a full SSD diag from a mate.)
In the end on tenterhooks i drove for 20 miles to get the oil up to temp, then used all the gears in low and high range several times and recalibrated it yet again.....thankfully it has been fine ever since.

Post #219289410th Dec 2020 12:36 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

All your adaptions need resetting and then a full calibration needs to done. Try a hard reset then do the calibrations, ideally with a IID tool or similar.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #219292310th Dec 2020 3:05 pm
will.i.am

Hi ok, so after going through all of the terrain setting/modes and then putting it in and out of low/high range a few times in all gears the issue has finally seeemed to have gone. I did over 400 miles yesterday and everytime i stopped at a set of lights or in a queue for the first 2 hours i popped it into low and back into high just to feel if there was any pressure or wind up still in the drive train but it seemed to be fine.

Thanks for your help guys! - trust if anyone gets this issue or finds this thread they will find it helpful.

Post #219309211th Dec 2020 8:48 am
Hpal

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hey guys, I did an input bearing on my D3 transfer case the other week. I pulled the Transfer box out, rebuilt it using new bearings and seals and guided by the guide on the Range Rover forum. Took some photos along the way and I'm 99-100% sure its all went back together nicely and as it should. I reinstalled the box yesterday and filled the oil up and re-fitted all the other crap I had to remove. Took it for a test drive all went well, no more noise. Then not long after I was manoeuvring around the driveway on full lock and there was a terrible juddering noise and clunk which I'm sure is the centre diff winding up. I think I may hopefully just have to recalibrate the box, Man was I deflated when my rebuilt box started making these noises! It was also accompanied by a suspension fault but I did replace two front struts as well. Or it may have come about from the Transfer issue, not sure. Why are these bloody things so technical.....

Post #231275128th Oct 2022 6:53 am
will.i.am

I have had this issue! like a judder and banging like wind up when you steer left or rigth in 1st or 2nd or in reverse. - feels like the car is about to S£$% itself! - i think it will be the Transfer box just needs re calibrating but just a word of warning, if you drive it too long like this then you will ruin the clutch pack and will mean a new transfer box.

the first time i replaced my transfer box i have a non LR garage replace it for me (new genuine T box) and because they didn't calibrate it i was driving it for a month before my local Indy could book it in. i then had it calibrated but the issue started again so got another transfer case on warrantee and had to pay for it to be installed. this time the issue stopped but then came back again. after numerous attempts at getting it recalibrated, it turned out that the TCCM was knackered as a result of so many re-calibrations and the incorrect use from the first two transfer cases.

So onto transfer case 3! - had this done seperately by a UK company that are well known for their electrical expertise and sent it up there (4 hours away) and told them i dont want the car back till its right. had a new TCCM and new Transfer case again (this time all paid for) and it has worked fine since thankfully.

so long story short, dont drive it unless you are taking it somewhere to get it recailbrated!!

Post #231275428th Oct 2022 7:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >