Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Maximum safe current load on disco 3 alternator?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Edison

United Kingdom 
Maximum safe current load on disco 3 alternator?

Hi,
I’m building a portable battery/solar generator to take on road trips, which can be charged from solar whilst driving and when camped.

But also want to run a dc-dc charger whilst driving, probably a Victron device unless anyone suggests a better option?

Have a couple of questions

1) There’s a choice of 20,30 or 50 amp models, Will the 50 amp charger be a safe load for the alternator or should I go with a lower amperage?

2) are these safe when engine is running in idle or does the alternator overheat?

Thank you for any help.

Post #229327727th May 2022 6:51 pm
166cui

Germany 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

1) that depends on what's the actual charge current recommended by the manufacturer for your specific battery. For example: The technical file for the 90 Ah battery from Moll that I use as second battery recommends 22,5 Amp, but not more than 45 Amp. Whereas for the 60 Ah version of the same series (special EFB) the recommendation is 12,5 Amp with a maximum charge current of 25 Amp.
    By rule of thumb the charge current should be around 1/4 to 1/3 of the capacity of the battery.
    So in fact I'm running a 25 Amp DC/DC charger in combination with a 15 Amp MPPT (Victron). When having shore power a CTEK MXS 10.0 stands in for the DC/DC charger.
    2) Unless you're having a 50 Amp charger running you will be fine. If your second battery requires a charge load this high you should consider a more powerful alternator, as the Disco can be a quite consuming little animal when it comes to amps.

Cheers!

Post #229367130th May 2022 7:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >