DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Towing dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
meridian

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Towing dilemma

Hi all,

This might seem a no-brainer but curious as to your opinions. I tow a 3.5T (gross) car transporter (800kg kerbweight, 2700 kg payload) and have recently purchased a 48000 mile 55 reg'd Disco 3 TDV6 Auto Base (non air suspension) explicitly for towing the trailer. Although a base model, it does look the part with side steps and mudflaps in dark metallic (Buckingham I think ?) metallic blue. The car is great and the TDV6 lump is more than up to the task of the job in hand (infinitely better than a TD6 RR). However, I now have the option of running a very high spec 41000 mile 05 reg'd 4.4 V8 HSE Auto which will effectively owe me similar money as it is a VAT qualifier and I can reclaim the VAT. Bottom line is that the V8 car cost 20k more new or thereabouts and whilst I am not fussed about toys on what is a workhorse for my business, they are quite nice all the same ! Now, I hadn't thought of running a V8 but this particular car is particularly nice in Bonatti grey with side steps and door mouldings etc and is a real looker, and of course the V8's do drive very nicely. I also like the air suspension factor, particularly when loading the (tilt-bed) trailer as it stops the rear end 'squatting'. Fuel economy wise, the TDV6 has been returning 23mpg with large loads. I would hope the V8 might return 19-20 or is this optimistic ? Traditionally I have run a 7.5T twin deck Isuzu lorry which also returned 22/23mpg from it's 4.8 litre 4-cylinder engine. Truth be told, I actually prefer the TDV6 to drive but the V8 HSE is obviously a lot more car. I genuinely have the option to keep either one and the other is to be sold. What would you choose ?

Thanks, Meridian

Post #27883928th Mar 2008 8:03 pm
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you do go for the base-model with steel-spring suspension, don't bother with the removable tow-hitch.

Get the fixed, adjustable height version. Then you'll have a better chance of keeping the trailer level when heavily laden.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Td5 Alive remap, rubber mats, fixed tow bar, disco3.co.uk sticker.

Manual gearbox - steel springs - 17" wheels. No tinted windows, no leather, no terrain response, no foglights, no xenons, no trip computer, no side steps, no mud flaps, no A-frame, no spot lights, no lamp guards, no sat nav, no winch, no roof rack, no RAI, no PDC, no bluetooth, no ipod connectivity, no clear indicators and no bright finish trim. 

Post #27890628th Mar 2008 10:28 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

My advice would be forget the V8 and go for an Airsprung TDV6, the air suspention will keep it level what ever the trailer.

I seriousley doubt you will get 18 MPG from the V8.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #27891428th Mar 2008 10:39 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

I would say that the fuel cost is a deciding factor. Although diesel rising to 11p more than petrol in my area may balance the compromise in favour of the v8 which would be a real shocker eh!

Post #27891528th Mar 2008 10:39 pm
meridian

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies. Have properly 'trialled' the V8 today with a Merc S-Class LWB on the trailer and will keep the TDV6. Fuel wise, I now think the V8 is going to return 15-16mpg with this kind of load and that's no good to me. Having now tested the V8 with a big load on it I also think the torque characteristics of the TDV6 do make it a better tow car, never having to see the other side of 3000rpm and always seeming pretty unstressed. That does apply to the V8 also but of the two the TDV6 does seem slightly happier.

So will run the TDV6 with a fixed/height adjustable Witter R39 towbar and Bulldog 400Q twin leaf stabiliser.

Thanks again.

Post #27912929th Mar 2008 3:24 pm
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

The best I've had from my V-8 when towing is 10mpg. You will never get close to 20mpg under any circumstances. That being said the air suspension is just what is needed for towing, and the V-8 is an excellent all around performer.

Here in the US with our distances, the 300hp V-8 is still considered somewhat under powered. The Jeep GC is 335 and the MBZ also with a larger engine available! Most pickups and SUVs with towing pretensions have 350+. Shocked
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #27913329th Mar 2008 3:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >