Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wet front passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
deanslandy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Wet front passenger footwell

Hi All, It looks as though I have a leak in my sun roof drain . Footwell soaking wet and there is puckering in the trim of the A frame pillar. Is there a guide on how to repair this please?
 Belts, oil pump casing and water pump by Flack
Transmission flush by Geoff 

Post #23323865th Apr 2023 4:22 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yep!- do a seach Thumbs Up more than likely drain blocked.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23323965th Apr 2023 5:09 pm
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Wet front passenger footwell

deanslandy wrote:
Hi All, It looks as though I have a leak in my sun roof drain . Footwell soaking wet and there is puckering in the trim of the A frame pillar. Is there a guide on how to repair this please?

Usually its the end of the hose (part no EEH500120) which deteriorates through time.
Cut at the end and use a Plastic Barbed Connector Pipe Tubing Fitting Air Fuel Water Vacuum
smth like the below one

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124113256851?var=424945882065

Post #23359489th May 2023 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fin-M

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I too had this issue. If your lucky, it’s just a blocked hose and the water is over flowing the gutter and running down the a pillar but more than likely the end of the hose has perished and water is draining into the footwell. I did this and the pain is removing/refitting the mass of electrical connectors at the CJB or somthing like that. If I’m honest it’s a job I hope to never do again as there was a point that I didn’t believe it was humanly possible to re attach all the connectors. My hands are not the largest and looked like I had been feeding a lion when I eventually succeeded. There is a clever trick to remove the glove box that involves a bolt and a plastic sleeve to get the pins out. There could be an alternative way of doing this by threading it from the wheel arch side but access is not great in there either from what I read at the time. Drivers side is

probably a 10min job but it’s never that side for some reason unless you have a left hand drive.

Post #233733221st May 2023 3:24 pm
Fin-M

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Post #233733321st May 2023 3:30 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Two useful points here - from one who suffered BADLY from this hassle :-

DRAIN YOUR FOOTWELL ASAP
I found, through failure over time of both handbrake winch supply and central locking power feeds, that prolonged presence of water in the passenger footwell is BAD NEWS - in the case of the handbrake power supply electrolytic corrosion had crept backwards along the strands of the green wire, "rotting" the copper. I suspect a similar process inhibited my central locking until I applied the now-famous three-wire re-splice.
So, although it's against instincts, I tilted my car with OS wheels on a kerb and drilled couple of 3mm holes in my wet floorpan, beneath the BIG bunch of loomed wires just inboard of the rocker plate. These can later be filled or plugged so you can still ford in future. That and a fan heater over a few nights dried things out. Getting the carpet and soundproof foam up is a considerable hassle Sad((
Because there's SO MUCH floor insulation between carpets and floorpan, it's very difficult to dry-out this part of the car after a soaking. Having wiring in the same place, esp. with splices/joints creates a recipe for electrical trouble.

RE-ROUTING THE FNS SUNROOF DRAIN HOSE
I couldn't fiddle to replace the FNS hose lower elbows feeding out into the wheel arches, and I viewed removing the fusebox as taking too damned long. So I exposed the existing downpipe behind the A-pillar trim, cut it and bought very thin-wall flexible plastic hose to push OVER the existing downpipe, creating a new extension; pushed the new hose upwards over the old for 2+ inches to reduce chances of future overlow; perhaps should have sealed that joint.
I was able to "fish" the new plastic hose extension down behind the fuse box and into the footwell. I drilled the footwell floor (WATCH this, don't drill any deeper than break-through into the footwell sheet), fitted a plastic hose elbow into the hole, onto which I coupled the new extended downpipe. I lined the hole with a rubber grommet before pushing-in the elbow. So the FNS sunroof drain now exits through the passenger foootwell floor. Applied silicone sealant.
I cut-away a channel through the bulky foam insulation which sits on the footwell floor, the foam and carpet sat down again with no sign whatever of the new drain hose.
The hose extension behing the fuse box down into the footwell had to be squeezed through and this constrained the diameter somewhat, but when I tested the drain (ROS wheel up on a kerb) it worked well enough and water pooled beneath the car under the floorpan.

COMMENT
Personally I'm convinced (after owning 3 x D3s and a D4) that SO MANY apparently complex electrical failures with these cars are due to water in the footwells. The resulting diagnostics are bizarre and haywire. SO MANY costly breakdowns and workshop visits suffered by owners everywhere, all due to the numpty who allowed those defective rot-prone drain hose elbows to be fitted. All that fine engineering brought down by bits of inadequate rubber.

Post #233737922nd May 2023 12:19 am
protohyp

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

we drilled holes in the footwell. Even though we have fixed all the leaks above the floor you never know when it might pop its ugly head.

As mentioned water collecting down there is a huge problem for electronics. with the hole the water never collects. It drains directly to the ground. Just be careful drilling on the side your air reservoir is.

Post #233776525th May 2023 6:49 pm
RRBlue

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

We never use our sunroof. It is permanently closed. Therefore, can a blocked drain cause a wet footwell.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE Lux, 2015
Discovery 4 3.0 HSE, 2011
Range Rover 5.0 SC, 2014
Range Rover 4.2 SC, 2005
Range Rover 4.4, 2002
Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2010
Freelander 2 TD4.e 2009 

Post #236224216th Feb 2024 7:40 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The answer is a BIG YES !!
Glass panel is never a watertight fit in the roof aperture, which is the MAIN reason the drain gutter exists !
You have to apply a waterproof seal around the glass before the drain gutter becomes redundant.

Post #236224316th Feb 2024 7:44 pm
RRBlue

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thank you. I will seal up the roof to try and eliminate that as a source. The water is on the driver side where the drivers feet sit. Passenger side is fine. I will also check the aircon condensate drain.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE Lux, 2015
Discovery 4 3.0 HSE, 2011
Range Rover 5.0 SC, 2014
Range Rover 4.2 SC, 2005
Range Rover 4.4, 2002
Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2010
Freelander 2 TD4.e 2009 

Post #236229217th Feb 2024 2:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >