DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Wheel alignment changes - Normal vs Off road height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Wheel alignment changes - Normal vs Off road height

G'day everybody.

About a month ago, I purchased a set of MTR's from this tyre place in Castle Hill. I asked them if they do alignments for Disco3's and they started crowing about this brand new hyper-expensive all singing, all dancing alignment system they had just installed.

After reading about all the factory alignment problems - I decided to have my vehicle (and this new alignment system Very Happy ) checked out.

I gave them very specific instructions:

1) After driving on to the alignment ramp, wait for a short while for the self-levelling system to sort itself out.
2) Open driver's door
3) Turn off engine and leave driver's door open
4) Do alignment.

The results were that even though the alignments were not spot on, they were within tolerance. I even had a graphical printout showing individual alignment results as well as the overall 'composite' alignment of all 4 wheels. Not bad.

Exclamation Exclamation Then they guy said something very interesting. Because they had never done a Disco3 before, they decided to raise it to the off-road height and did another alignment check. He said that the alignments went way off - unacceptably so. Exclamation Exclamation

So there you go folks. This is the reason why Land Rover limits the off-road settings to only 40 km/h - wheel alignment issues!

It is not safe driving a badly aligned vehicle at high speeds - especially a heavily laden one. Shocked

I guess the alignment issues are less critical in slow off-road driving - especially so when the tyre pressures are down.

In reference to the other very active thread on shortening the height sensor rods, my advice is to get a fresh alignment done after putting the shorter rods in. After the trip, re-install the normal rods and have another alignment done.

It costs about $60 per alignment. If you only do one or two 'big' trips a year, then the extra cost is not so bad - its certainly a lot cheaper than a high-speed accident!

It really doesn't matter what you use to change the ride height - shortened sensor rods or mega-expensive german systems - you will STILL have the same alignment issues. It does not look like something that can be fixed by software changes or system tweaks. We are looking at fundamental design limitations here.

Until Land Rover comes out with a suspension that can change height WIHOUT changing its component's geometry/alignment, I think the above is the only safe way to increase the suspension height - ie get a fresh alignment done every time you change the ride height of the vehicle.

Drive safely.

Cheers.

Post #27020010th Mar 2008 12:45 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Was the vehicle put into alignment mode before the alignment?
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #27020310th Mar 2008 1:02 am
catweasel

when they raised it did they drive it off the ramp and back on to let everything settle. when I park mine and put it in access height the wheels look odd but if I drive in in access height the wheels look fine.

never done a D3 and a flash new system, wouldn't treat the info as gospel.

Post #27021110th Mar 2008 3:10 am
eran48

Hello Desert Traveller and catweasel,

No, the vehicle was not put in alignment mode - the way I see it, so long as the car is in the normal driving height when the alignment is done, all should be OK. The results do support this - the front passenger wheel was the worst off at 0.023 degrees but the overall alignment was only out by 0.01 degrees (ie the errors in the all wheels cancelled each other out).

They said this was within tolerance - I can only take their word for it. Does anybody disagree and think the error is too big? My vehicle is going in next week to have the sagging driver's seat fixed/replaced so I can get LR to fix the alignment at the same time. (I told the shop to only check the alignment and not to actually change anything on the car)

I don't think they drove it off the alignment ramp after raising it. They had completed the normal height alignment check and because all the measuring equipment was already mounted to the car, decided to just raise the vehicle and take another reading. They did not take a third reading at access height.

What I will do when I next send the car in for routine alignment is to get separate printouts for both normal and off-road height. It will be interesting to see how much the alignment changes and in which way..

I'll put the results in this forum for those curious about it - this won't be for another 6 months though...

I do take your point about their never having done a D3 and their new system. It will be interesting to have somebody else do this at a different place and see if the results are the same.

Cheers

Post #27021410th Mar 2008 3:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have previously pointed out that alignment would be an issue in off road height howver; I would see the alignment problem being one of wear and handling on black top. Where it is in off road height it will be on dirt where wear will not be an issue and the uneven surface will be such that alignment is not a great issue.
Some have driven with shortened rods and reported no great handling problems. The problem is it is a PITA to change the rods every time you return to the black top let alone when you have a stetch if dirt with no ruts. If it could be changed at will the alignment issue would be minimised.
I see no reson why LR couldn't allow >40kph in low range.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27021610th Mar 2008 4:07 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

The alignment at off-road height will definitely be out if the car remained static during the height change. It has to be driven at least a short distance for the wheels to settle. Then try to measure the alignment. Had this done on mine (after LR had reset the alignment) up at a tyre dealers and it wasn't out by much - can't remember the figures, but I've got a printout somewhere.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #27076611th Mar 2008 1:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eran48

Thanks for your feedback disco4x4au,

I am a complete tyro when it comes to suspensions. I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying Embarassed

If I raise the suspension, the suspension alignment will continue to change and not 'settle' until after I have driven the car a short distance?

But aren't the wheels solidly bolted to the hubs and therefore to the suspension arms and so on to the whole suspension system? If yes, then wouldn't any suspension geometry changes immediately 'flow' to the wheels? The alignment equipment is attached to the wheels and not the tyres and should reflect the alignment changes immediately?

Or does changing the height pre-load the various suspension bushes and the short drive allows all the suspension components to 'relax' to the new alignment?

I think I am going to go have a beer or four now. This is getting too complicated for me Laughing

Cheers

Post #27079111th Mar 2008 7:05 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

eran48 wrote:

Or does changing the height pre-load the various suspension bushes and the short drive allows all the suspension components to 'relax' to the new alignment?

Cheers

and remember it also self levels. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27079211th Mar 2008 7:15 am
catweasel

picture the vehicle in access height then raise to offroad height where ( I presume ) the track of the vehicle will narrow. since there is 2.7t sitting on the static wheels they will not move in but something has to give which AFAIK will be what caused the excessive error in the wheel alignment which is why I asked if it had been moved off the ramp.

Post #27080111th Mar 2008 8:07 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

eran48 wrote:
ie the errors in the all wheels cancelled each other out

Not sure what that means - if one (say rear) wheel has too much toe in and the opposite wheel has too much toe out then the alignment between the two wheels may "cancel out" but the vehicle will crab sideways down the road to some degree Shocked
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #27088211th Mar 2008 12:21 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Next time you get your D3's tyres changed and it goes into Extended Mode, you'll see each wheel is not fully on the floor - ie the top edge of the wheel will be a little further out than the bottom edge. ie they will be sitting more on their outer edge.

An exaggerated example of what raising / lowering the suspension does to the wheels of course. It does settle (wheels move the vertical again if moved) to some extent, but not completely.

Post #27088411th Mar 2008 12:30 pm
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

eran48 wrote:
...- the front passenger wheel was the worst off at 0.023 degrees but the overall alignment was only out by 0.01 degrees (ie the errors in the all wheels cancelled each other out).

Assuming you're talking about camber here? Now I'm far from an expert on the subject but when I used to muck around with various race cars .1 of a degree tolerance was more than acceptable. I can't imagine physics have changed much in the past two decades, nor that the Disco would be that critical. .023 seems like a tiny margin of error. I am happy to be corrected on this. Wink

The other issue is the suspension is constantly moving up and down anyway. The wheel alignment would only be "perfect" when stationary or driving on a road so smooth it would not exist in Oz.

Post #27124312th Mar 2008 6:49 am
eran48

Thanks Drive Cosy,

Good to know that the tyre shop was right - if 0.1 degrees is good enough for a race car, its good enough for me Thumbs Up

Actually, my D3 drives really well - certainly no crabbing or pulling to one side. Its just that I got a bit paranoid reading about all the problems other people had Shocked

After the four beers, I had two profound revelations:
1) As I have neither shortened rods nor german suspension gizmos, I no longer have to worry about alignment changes - for now. Whistle
2) Contemplating beer is less confusing than contemplating suspension geometry. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Cheers.

Post #27178812th Mar 2008 11:46 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

For the sake of scientific data gathering only Laughing , the week after Easter I'll be driving from Ballidonia WA, to Israelite Bay, Cape Arid NP, Cape Le Grande NP, then Esperance. In all about 440kms of either rough dirt tracks or sandy beaches Very Happy . This will be done with the shortened suspension rods, ie with the suspension effectively set to "Extend" height. I'll have on brand new MTRs and will happily report back on tyre wear, funny handling (ie, does it lead to more rollovers? Embarassed ) .
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #27182813th Mar 2008 3:56 am
catweasel

could you possibly report on how your cv joints go too.

Post #27188013th Mar 2008 9:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >