DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Differential noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nitro159

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Differential noise

Hi all,

I had around six weeks of bliss since changing the inlet manifolds, until the latest issue reared it’s ugly head.

A noticeable hum/whine that gets louder (over standard road noise) has appeared on the car. It does not vary by engine speed, only road speed. And is only there when power is applied. Confirmed by a mechanic to be a differential issue. No grinding or loud clunks (yet?). Also confirmed it is there and unchanged in both high and low range. No rumble or vibration through the steering wheel or when braking.

I’ve googled, and it seems this happens occasionally with varying advice given. I was intending on changing the diff oil within the next two months before Xmas, front and back. And may have given the T box a go too whilst underneath. However with this occurring, I guess I need to ask whether changing the oil is more likely to help or whether I need to look for a new diff (still unsure if front or back)?

I can change the diff oil, I’m slim enough to get underneath it whilst raised and can remove the centre undertray panel to access the drain plug for the front. The rear appears to not be covered so can access this as well. But I’m wondering if the time and effort would be worth it when it may need a whole new unit.

Anyone with experience of the symptoms, and what they did to cure it?

Edit: just to add that this is a TDV6 3.0 from 2011. And I’ve dug through the service history and discovered that at 82k miles the transfer box oil was changed, but not the differential oil. It wasn’t changed anywhere else in the service history either. I feel like a muppet for missing this Sad

Post #225759118th Oct 2021 3:14 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was convinced it was my front diff whining. The oil however was fine. The oil out of the rear diff was full of particles though. An oil change will at least make sure you have the right end.

You can change the bearings in the diffs if you are so inclined.
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #225759618th Oct 2021 3:50 pm
Nitro159

Ah I have confirmed it’s definitely the front unfortunately, today the telltale signs of oil from the front of the car after some rain washed it forward (I parked it slightly sloped on the drive last time I drove it to try and get this sooner but the rain is what was needed to push the oil to the surface).

New oil ordered up, delivery expected tomorrow and changing it Saturday. Not looking forward to removing the undertray given how much oil is probably pooled on it. I am also going to check if the breather pipe is functioning and can replace if required.

I am concerned if it’s blown threw a seal, is there anything else I should be aware of before changing it or just check for leaks after the change to see if the oil has diminished to the point of breaching the seal? And I’ve read you can change the seals in situ, without dropping the diff out. Is this true?

Post #225789620th Oct 2021 2:38 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

An oil leak does not mean it is necessarily the front diff that is whining/is worn - might just be a blocked breather causing the seals to leak.

I'd drain both diffs to identify the culprit. If you need the car in the mean time you could buy new oil. Put new oil in the good diff (assuming there is one). If you object to the cost of new oil in the worn diff, then you could go full bodge mode - collect all old oil in clean containers. Stain/filter by what ever means you can. Use a magnet to get the metal particles. Then chuck the old oil in the worn diff to use for a week or two until you get a recon/replacement diff.
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #225790120th Oct 2021 3:26 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have changed a few diffs, usually front diff is the problem. Most likely your oil will be a shade of brown, caused by ingress of water and then rust. In every one that I have replaced the noise was caused by bearing failure, so new oil would make no difference.
 Chris  
Post #225790520th Oct 2021 3:50 pm
Nitro159

Further update as of yesterday.

The leak itself I noticed was coolant collecting dirty engine oil etc from the various other bits under the engine. Leak is on the right hand side, coming from above an engine mount *somewhere*. The hunt continues but it’s leaking only when under pressure as far as I can tell (and during cooling from a run). Currently keeping an eye on the level and have cardboard under the car (with the engine undertray removed whilst it isn’t moving) to confirm. Unfortunately as it’s running along multiple areas and across other pipes and bits it’s hard to trace. Have confirmed it’s not the water pump.

In other news I changed the front diff oil anyway, easy enough job really and the oil that left wasn’t *awful* but clearly could have been better. The refill went well. However, the noise still remains. I did entirely forget to check the wheel bearings whilst the front was lifted. As motorworks has suggested, I’m preparing for a new diff at this point, but I’m slightly sceptical as the noise was sudden and didn’t “get louder over time”. Therefore a bearing on its way out or just going out immediately makes less sense. I did check the wheels for notches on rotation (as above, forgot to check for bearings) and found none when rotating with both in the air.

I may contact a local Indy for a diagnosis now I’ve separated the two issues to noise and a coolant leak.

Post #225857724th Oct 2021 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >