Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Additional fuel tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Additional fuel tank

Hi - been searching through forum but couldn't find anything about it.
Has anyone had any exeprience with it? What brand, how it works? Is it "one big" fuel tank after installing, or you have to switch to use it?
Any recommendations/ideas needed - also pics with one installed Smile
Thanks! Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #9619083rd Aug 2012 2:23 am
StepanT

Czech Republic 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ARB, aka Long Ranger makes one which goes in the place of the spare wheel (which needs to go on the roof or back door).
http://thelongranger.com.au/discovery3longrangefueltank2.html
 D3 LE James Cook, 2,7 TDV6 auto  
Post #9619263rd Aug 2012 8:16 am
Simon.pl

Thanks Stepan
Actually I've seen this solution on the web, but was curious to know if anyone had any experience with it. It is quite visible from the back and sides of the car so I wonder if it doesn't bother during off road driving Rolling Eyes Also is it safe in case of any stone hit, etc.
Read also that there is an electric pump included that refills the original tank. Is it a good solution? Works? Or there are other options like connecting both tanks together to have one big tank..
That kind of questions Mr. Green
Cheers Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #9619693rd Aug 2012 10:01 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

terrafirma and D44 have 80L ones if remember correct and those are slightly better hidden underneath the car

Post #9619783rd Aug 2012 10:36 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/product_detai...mp;grp=205

Post #9619793rd Aug 2012 10:39 am
Simon.pl

Thanks Grzesiul - but the most important part is missing - picture Big Cry
Will look for it later
Thumbs Up
Post #9619843rd Aug 2012 10:52 am
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Front Runner make one similar to above descriptions but with very strong under guard and all within original constraints as far as clearance goes. Only trouble is c**p pump supplied - if you go for it, fit a good pump to start with.
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #9622894th Aug 2012 8:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon.pl

Good to know Sadiscobob! Thanks Thumbs Up
Do you have any personal experiences, or you have just heard of? Any idea of the proper pomp?
Post #9622934th Aug 2012 8:49 am
devonchilliman

England 

Speak to NSN ...I was looking at his today Thumbs Up

Post #9624264th Aug 2012 8:38 pm
Simon.pl

Thanks for info Devonchilliman Thumbs Up
Did you like it? Wink Very Happy
Post #9624794th Aug 2012 11:11 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Yes it looked 8) ,was protected from underneath by a protection plate not too dissimilar to a Mantec Sumpguard Thumbs Up

Post #9624814th Aug 2012 11:19 pm
Simon.pl

Thumbs Up I've PMd him. Will see what he says Smile
Thanks! Mr. Green
Post #9624854th Aug 2012 11:29 pm
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello simon.pl,

I have a D3 that has a custom-made long range tank and a D4 that has the (ARB) Long Ranger tank. Both are mounted where the spare tyre used to mount.

The D3 tank has a capacity of 118 litres, giving me a total capacity of 200 Litres. It used a connecting pipe and simply drained into the original tank as fuel was used. This had the advantage of requiring just one filler-pipe and did not require any form of pump to transfer the fuel. The biggest disadvantage was that the fuel gauge registered "full" all the time, until the auxiliary tank was completely drained. I didn't really mind this because I knew I still had 600 - 700 Km range once the fuel gauge started registering.

The D4 Tank apparently has a capacity of 106 Litres. It uses a separate filler neck (there are two openings inside the filler cap). Fuel is transferred by an electric pump which takes an inordinately long time to pump the fuel to the original tank. It has its own gauge, which is really just some LED's that basically indicate 1/4 of a tank graduations. It works OK and the smaller fuel capacity is made up by the fact that the 3.0 Litre engine in the D4 is more fuel efficient, so I get about the same range.

I actually like the tank in the D3 better. It was so simple and there were no things that could fail. It is a shame that the guy who made it has sold his business and, try as I might, I couldn't track him down to see if he'd make me one for the D4.

In the case of both tanks, the ground clearance is the same or better than it was when the spare tyre was fitted, so that isn't really an issue. In nearly six years, driving some of the roughest tracks that Australia has to offer, I did not damage the D3 tank at all. I have no reason to think that the tank in the D4 will be any different.

Cheers

Russ
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #9624885th Aug 2012 12:23 am
Simon.pl

Hi Away! Thank you for your valluable answer Thumbs Up
Actually I was thinking about this kind of solution you've been having in your D3, but just can't find it anywhere on the market. Also read on an American forum, that the Disco had breathing issues after having added the additional tank with fuell flowing to the main tank. Have you ever had this kind of problems?
118 litres you mention is a great capacity - I've seen Front Runner having 80 for a price roughly 800GBP.. And of course this is the solution with external pump. 40 litres makes a huge difference.. Can you post any pictures of your solutions - specially D3 one - how it looks from the outside, how is it mounted and connected to the system?
Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #9624965th Aug 2012 1:54 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello simon.pl

I never had any breather issues with the D3 tank. In fact, I could pour diesel into it with one of those "fast-fill" hoses that trucks use, without the fuel "blowing back." The only issue that can happen with a well designed tank, is that fuel can drain back into the auxiliary tank if climbing a steep incline for a long time. For this reason, a one-way valve should be installed in the pipe that connects the two tanks.

I will try to get some photos of the installation over the next few days and I'll post them once I do. I will have to do it soon as the D3 is for sale!

One thing to remember....all that extra fuel, plus the tank it is in, is heavy. This extra weight will detract from the payload that you can carry in the vehicle. I think that 200 litres of total fuel capacity is right on the boundary of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Cheers

Russ
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #9625835th Aug 2012 11:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >