Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Storage Draws for camping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Storage Draws for camping

After a few days away camping. The back of the D3 looked a mess. If I was to go to another camp site I dont think I could have found anything.
Maybe its time to get organised.

I was wondering if anyone has any comments/recommendation for a storage system and fridge rack (i use a Waco 60lt) they my be using.

There is not a hint of handyman about me so no DIY. I am happy to pay for a system that can be installed for a trip without too much effort and then removed for the weeky rounds of kids, school etc.

Thanks

Post #45897226th Apr 2009 9:16 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Davo

We have an Opposite Lock drawer system - 2 drawers each with 3 plastic boxes, fridge slide on top.

Find it works well. Take it out after trips - 4 screws in each of the 2 lids, 4 turnbuckles from frame to rear tie down points. Best for 2 people to lift frame. Doesn't take long.

Photos in my gallery

Ian
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #45897526th Apr 2009 9:46 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Storage Drawers

Davo, I had Opposite Lockk build me a set. Critical was the ability to have them removable as the Disco is also my business car. Like Ian (although different), 2 rows of slides with lift out Gomo boxes. Lift out boxes are great (as opposed to built in drawers) as you can pack them outside the vehicle and then just plonk them in. Fridge slide fo 50L National Lunar fridge is on the other side. See pix in my gallery.
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #45899826th Apr 2009 11:59 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

yep, same with me OL system is brilliant!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #45926827th Apr 2009 12:48 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

H Davo,

Although my drawers are home made ones I recommend the fridge slide on the RHS if your drawer height is above the lower tailgate. This allows for you to slide out the fridge by opening only the top tailgate. I have a 50lt Weaco and you can still access the fridge easily but you need to check the 60lt if it is any taller than the 50lt.

Here is a pick of what I mean.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #45928527th Apr 2009 4:03 am
~Rich~

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice Work PCH,
I'm interested in building my own set,
Would you have any info on materials, slides, mounting points etc.
I'm sure you found a few traps along the way!
I am a chippie / ex boatbuilder so I might be Ok. Wink
 2014 SDV6 HSE White, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Tuff Ant Sliders and 18" steel wheels, Safari Snorkel, Rhino Rack Platform, ARB Air Compressor, Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #45928627th Apr 2009 4:21 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

PCH,

By 2, I would also like to upgrade my current storage system to suit my specific requirments, any experience helps.

DT
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #45928727th Apr 2009 4:23 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi All,

I dug up an old thread on this site which had some details of where I got my hardware from and some ideas I used to build the drawers. I never had any specific drawings as I built them on the "fly". My original measurements were rough enough to help me determine how much ply, carpet and auminium I needed.

Here is the thread (started by Martin Krutli). This thread has lots of info about other D3 storage systems as well. Scroll down a bit to find my posts under "PCH"

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19446.h...ar+drawers

Hope this is helpful.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #45930827th Apr 2009 7:33 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thank you guys very much Thumbs Up .

I can now see the benfit of being able to take the boxes out from the car to pack/unpack.
The idea of the fridge slide coming over the lower tailgate is worth considering.

Once again thanks for the replies

David

Post #46031629th Apr 2009 7:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >