Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

MAP sensor/inlet manifold tar build up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Yargo

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
MAP sensor/inlet manifold tar build up

As per thread here, I did take out my MAP sensor to check - there WAS sensor some time ago... I also looked inside the MAP sensor hole into manifold - scary - so much black tar. Clearly there is a problem - oil fumes are going in the manifold, mixing with exhaust gases from EGR and causing this build up. Also, exhaust tips have black soot(clearly oil is going into exhaust). I imagine by now EGR system is full of tar ar well. I hope "DPF full" light won`t come up tomorrow morning Very Happy As to my knowledge there could be following reasons:

1. Worn out turbo.

2. Clogged up crankshaft breather. I did check it by opening oil filler cap whilst running engine - it does not move even one mm - sits there stone dead. Would that mean breather is completely working?

3. Worn out piston rings/cylinder. But that apparently is super rare to happen on 2.7d

So that leaves worn turbo/leaking bearing. It pulls fine, doesn`t make any noises.

Any more ideas?

Thank you

Post #219758930th Dec 2020 10:17 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

They all do it.

Having EGR and being a diesel results in this.

Post #219759530th Dec 2020 10:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There's nothing wrong with your car, it's just par for the course!!

Blank your EGR's and that will stop the exhaust crud build up, but as yours is an EU4 emissions you would also need to fit a software patch to prevent the EML coming on. BAS remaps/GAP IID tool
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #219760330th Dec 2020 11:04 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

My Discovery 2005 2,7 d had worn out piston and rings and a person not far away from me also had engine with worn out rings and piston.
Cylinder liners was in perfect shape but the piston was collapsed in the ring grooves so new piston with rings had to be installed.
Engine had low compression especialy noticeable when starting in cold weather and covering my whole neighbourhood with a huge cloud of unburnt diesel smoke, my neighbors started to retract to their houses every time when i was starting my Discovery he he.
Well as you can see it is not rare its quite common but i think LR made some improvement to piston quality in 2007 or 2008.
I use to say that the engine only has 2 problems, broken crankshaft or no compression(quite critical for a diesel engine) other than that it works well 😳🚙

Post #219760830th Dec 2020 11:26 pm
Yargo

Pete K wrote:
They all do it.

Having EGR and being a diesel results in this.

Its a myth!

I do not agree. If your engine is in good working order, there is absolutely no reason for tar build up. Just because it happens on most cars doesn`t mean it should be like that. At some point every car has problems, you keep driving it and it builds up. You might be driving it for very long time and not even know. EGR and diesel has nothing to do with tar - exhaust gas and diesel are not able to produce tar. Tar is made out of engine oil/oil fumes +exhaust gases from EGR.

My wifes car has EGR and its a diesel - why her inlet manifold is clean? Because her car is in perfect condition, very well looked after.

Post #219766031st Dec 2020 6:36 am
Yargo

PROFSR G wrote:
it's just par for the course!!

Having a a problem with your engine is not a course, just needs to be fixed.

Quote:
Blank your EGR's and that will stop the exhaust crud build up

I would never remove EGR as I`m clearly aware of consequences, why would I harm my engine. I prefer to fix problems and make it working like its supposed to. Blocked EGR is not a problem, they are consequences of a problem.

Post #219766131st Dec 2020 6:38 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I work on a large varied amount of engines and my opinon is that DPF and EGR's are the worst invention of the modern age
In this country we dont do enough miles a day for them to work correctly and they cause more enviromental pollution due to being blocked that they were ever supposed to stop in the first place.

My D4 has both its original EGR valves and DPF in place and were checked when i rebuilt the engine both were spotless, this vehicle is only used on long journeys towing a 3.5t trailer.

I am currently rebuilding a 2016 D4 that was used to patrol a 2 mile stretch of tunnel and the whole engine failed due to blocked DPF and EGR valves. The manifolds had just under 1kg of soot in each of them and i dont know how air got to the cylinders.

Post #219766431st Dec 2020 7:42 am
Yargo

Wrong tool for a job then - should have bought petrol or hybrid to patrol 2 miles. Again - not a problem with EGR itself Very Happy

Post #219766531st Dec 2020 7:44 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No your right in a perfect world it would all work well, but unfortunatley we just dont do enough miles for it to all work well.
A D4 being an off road vehicle also has a large cooling system designed to keep the engine cool at high torque but low speed so takes a lot longer to heat up than a normal car.

I agree that ideally a full electric vehicle would have been better for the job but the choice is down to the customer.

Post #219766631st Dec 2020 7:52 am
Yargo

Removing a PDF/EGR is like removing your heart because you have high blood pressure Smile Fix a problem - find out what is causing high blood pressure or don`t run 5k every morning if you have heart condition.

Post #219766731st Dec 2020 7:58 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Putting hot exhaust gasses into an area which is also used as a crank case vent isn't going to be nice

Add a turbo which also puts a small amount of oil into the inlet in normal use.

Post #219771431st Dec 2020 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >