Advice required - elusive EGR/injector/cooling issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Advice required - elusive EGR/injector/cooling issues

I might have covered the symptoms elsewhere, but here we go again:
- Poor fuel economy
- excessive cooling fan noise when I've worked the engine hard for five minutes or more
- low power and slow gear changes under these circumstances

Autologic said that I had an EGR valve fault and an injector fault. The codes were cleared but came back when the engine was started.

The car is now with the dealer. The feedback from them is that IDS does not show the injector and EGR valve faults, only an over temperature fault on the air intake, which they're putting down to excessive amounts of mud in the intercooler and main radiator.

Now I've cleaned the radiator with a slow hosing for hours, until the water ran clear, and I've been across my radiator and intercooler with a tiny screwdriver straightening the fins - so I thought it was in pretty good shape.

I'd hope this post would generate some general discussion - but I do want to ask some specific questions to the experts.
1) How can I push for EGR valve and injector repair/replacement, if the dealer says they cannot get the same fault codes I did?
2) How much should I believe the dealer about the state of my radiators when I've spent so long cleaning them?

Post #25948714th Feb 2008 6:33 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rob - ask yourself why would a clogged rad and/or intercooler affect the air intake temperature?

Sounds like it could be a MAF/TMAP sensor issue, do you know what the specific fault code numbers are?

Martin
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #25949614th Feb 2008 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I didn't ask the dealer about specific codes (although 10 might remember what the EGR valve/injector codes were that we saw in France). I don't think the dealer would have know the actual fault codes as the tech had gone home for the day when I spoke to him.

Now that I've looked up MAF and TMAP Embarassed I'll be able to ask a moderately informed question to the guys when I speak to them tomorrow. Oh, and I might have got the wrong end of the stick from the Dealer, he might not have been talking about intake air temp.

Given time, and help, I'll get a basic understanding of how a modern diesel engine works Rolling Eyes

Post #25950314th Feb 2008 7:09 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Fuel rail temp sensor. Or was it pressure I cant remember. It must be an age thing. Anyway The Blue Pearl had these symptoms and they were sorted when they changed the sensor.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #25950714th Feb 2008 7:25 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Fuel rail temp sensor would give these symptoms although it showed OK when we read the codes in France...
The 'arduous service interval' does not include cleaning the rad. or intercooler, neither of which would account for a raised air temperature pre or post intercooler - especially with the current ambient temperatures Confused
Sounds like someone is being lazy......

Post #25953514th Feb 2008 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

my radiator and intercooler are well mucked up and I dont get the problem Rob. It was quite obvious on the way down to Croisiere that you were loosing power up the hills..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #25954114th Feb 2008 8:32 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well I can confirm that EGR faults do show as fault codes as I have seen them with my own eyes on LRA mans gizmo when rescue attempted last week!!!. Also LR stealership confirmed same when vehicle made it in to the workshop.

Shame there is such inconsistant dealer advice.

Confused

Post #25954514th Feb 2008 8:37 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Quote:
my radiator and intercooler are well mucked up and I dont get the problem Rob. It was quite obvious on the way down to Croisiere that you were loosing power up the hills..

Embarassed Yes, to me too. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Well I can confirm that EGR faults do show as fault codes as I have seen them with my own eyes on LRA mans gizmo when rescue attempted last week!!!. Also LR stealership confirmed same when vehicle made it in to the workshop.

Shame there is such inconsistant dealer advice.

But as a software engineer I'm also aware that intermittent system errors can be a real bugger to trace. At the moment I'm not at the point of lambasting the dealer - but I will argue the point when I think I'm being fed a line, as I possibly am at the moment. I do wish I had a convenient 'rural' dealer who understood what these vehicles were designed and built to do though. Rolling Eyes

You've all provided very helpful input - thanks for that. I'll let you know what transpires tomorrow when I speak to my chap tomorrow.

Post #25967115th Feb 2008 2:32 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Further update from dealer:

The overheat code didn't apparently relate to a specific component, it's just a general message Confused Also, it's a historical error code that relates to my previous journeys, not to tests in the workshop. I'm getting a print out of the codes when I get the car back so I'll be able to see exactly what they're telling me.

I mentioned Fuel Rail temp sensor, MAF and TMAP, and was told that there's only so much you can do in testing these. The example given was that you can force the FBH into action by giving it a false input, but the same is not true for all the engine components. Obviously the dealer is not keen on swapping any of these components when there's no evidence of any problem with them.

And I'm back to square one, being told I need to get the rads cleaned before they'll investigate further. Rolling Eyes Not the answer I wanted to hear.

Post #25971115th Feb 2008 10:44 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I suppose to get the radiator and intercooler cleaned is a start, if it cures the problem then fair enough. If not then it should be immediately obvious and further investigation can continue.

Post #25975915th Feb 2008 12:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

But you'd cleaned them already? How clean do they need to be! Shocked
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #25976015th Feb 2008 12:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My point been that its understandable that the dealer needs to clean them properly to satisfy themselves, then if the fault persists resulting in a warranty replacement of a component to to cure the problem, then the cleaning cost would surely be covered by the warranty Thumbs Up

Post #25976415th Feb 2008 12:53 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Problem is that the dealer wants me to pay for five hours of workshop time to take the rads out and clean them. Which, if I was convinced it would solve the problem, I would agree to them doing. But as Dunc says, his rads are choked up with crap and he does not have the issues I have.

Post #25982515th Feb 2008 4:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Are they not convinced thats the answer? If not, then I would expect a bit of flexibilty.

Post #25983215th Feb 2008 4:16 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

EGR valve fault came up on IDS today while they were testing for something else. Now they have to replace it Very Happy
EGR valves are back on back order again Evil or Very Mad
Dealer wants LR to provide a courtesy car, so it should be a HSE Disco from Enterprise Very Happy
Have to explain to dealer why their courtesy car is covered in sand and mud Whistle

And they're still struggling to get the seized bolt out of the rear suspension bush thang. Rolling Eyes
And they haven't even looked at the steering yet Rolling Eyes

I think my D3 is showing its age... Although, at 50k miles I'd hope it would be in a bit better shape Neutral

Post #26087218th Feb 2008 2:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >