Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Off Road Navigation WITHOUT premium nav!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JMC

Scotland 
Off Road Navigation WITHOUT premium nav!

I have standard sat nav on my SE, and after 2 years of ownership, I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I discovered something new.......

My nav screen had been switched off, and whilst driving down the road I pushed the left hand button (with the compass icon) and to my amazement I was met with a choice of nav options:

'On Road Navigation' in the upper dialogue box, and

'Off Road Navigation' in the lower dialogue box Shocked

Needless to say, I pushed the lower box, and then had a grey screen with a tiny 'low range icon' in the top left, a large compass in the top right and a display of altitude (in feet), and Long/Lat coordinates (degrees/minutes/seconds) and a further choice of display options... Confused

I could swap from 'off road nav' to 'on road nav' to my hearts content and I spend the journey watching the altitude changes, and wondering how the hell I'd missed this screen for the past 2 years Confused

Today, I tried to access this menu again......................... and it's gone Big Cry

Was it a dream?? Too much vino?? Who knows? But I think I may have inadvertently discovered that ALL the sat-navs may be the same units, with secret modes to be enabled? Confused

I just don't know how I did it.......... Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #26369024th Feb 2008 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

On mine, to switch modes there is a button on the screen surround at the bottom left, like a circle with a crossed arrow on it - do you have that?

Post #26377324th Feb 2008 9:15 pm
JMC

Scotland 

TazDaz wrote:
On mine, to switch modes there is a button on the screen surround at the bottom left, like a circle with a crossed arrow on it - do you have that?

Yes, I have this button, but I don't have premium navigation on my SE so I shouldn't have seen the off road navigation screen. But I did - albeit only for the duration of the one journey....... Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #26382424th Feb 2008 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Rolling Eyes

Next screen should read, your 90 Mins free has expired, enterr your room number and press here to continue !!

Hold on that's maybe for something else
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #26383024th Feb 2008 10:22 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Shocked weird - maybe the button just needs 'enabling' ?

Post #26383424th Feb 2008 10:26 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I guess I have the same sat nav system as JMC although my TDV6 SE is on an 05 plate. I'll certainly be having a go at accessing the screen that he saw to prove that he wasn't dreaming!

In the meantime JMC, can you enlighten me on the following:

Obviously I don't have the 4x4 vehicle information system display on the sat nav screen but, spending today at the Yarwell Event in the Mud and Ruts Terrain Response setting, I was looking forward to making use of the Message centre display graphic showing in which direction my front wheels were pointing.

I would have to say that (and it may be a fault on my motor) I was surprised that the graphic display wasn't showing all the time. There were times when there was a display and times when there wasn't any display. Sometimes there was a display showing my front wheels were straight then then the graphic changed as I turned the wheel then the graphic would disappear when my wheels were straight again. I started to believe that the graphic would then reappear when I turned the wheel again but sometimes it didn't.

Is your (or any other SE owner's) front wheel direction graphic displayed permanently when you're in Mud and Ruts setting or rock climb????

My motor's in for a service on 26th and if there's a fault I'd like the dealer to fix it whilst it's still in warranty

Post #26389524th Feb 2008 11:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It does not display permanently, it comes on for a few seconds if you turn the wheels when your in a TR program.

Post #26389824th Feb 2008 11:57 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The standard navigation on the SE model shouldn't show any Off Road Display I thought, should it? Confused
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #26390024th Feb 2008 11:58 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Having just read the specs cover to cover in case I get to reject my car and order a new one - I can say not as standard. Part with £520 extra yes - at least that's what I think the brochure says.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #26390325th Feb 2008 12:00 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
It does not display permanently, it comes on for a few seconds if you turn the wheels when your in a TR program.

Gareth....could it be that it also only displays when in low-range too?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #26391225th Feb 2008 12:30 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

philhunt wrote:
the Message centre display graphic showing in which direction my front wheels were pointing.

Thud

That's still there without the premium wotsit isn't it?! (it was on our first one).

Post #26391825th Feb 2008 12:39 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Its in every D3 with TR.

Post #26392625th Feb 2008 12:53 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Always has been.

And its only there when it needs to be in Low Range only. It goes away so as to not distract the driver.

Periodic checking is all that is needed and off course when you need to know your wheels are straight ahead.

Sat Nav not needed at all.

Post #26392725th Feb 2008 12:56 am
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:

Periodic checking is all that is needed and off course when you need to know your wheels are straight ahead.

Thanks Gareth and Simon for confirming that the graphic display isn't permanent.

I would have been in low range all day yesterday anyway whether in 'Mud & Ruts' or Rock Crawl'

Apart from coming out of low range or a Terrain Response mode or both altogether then going back to low range/a TR mode, is there a way that you can liven up the display when it's gone off? There were a few times yesterday when I wanted to be 100% sure my wheels were straight (i.e. at the top of a very steep incline and about to drop down the other side and at the end of a load of deep ruts and about to power up the revs to tackle a steep incline) but the display had gone off leaving me 'blind'.

Post #26411525th Feb 2008 3:54 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have been trying to replicate JMC's find...However if i turn my screen off and lock the car ...when i unlock the car the screen automatically comes back on Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #26413325th Feb 2008 4:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >