DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Temperature needle indicates lower than normally
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pere

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Temperature needle indicates lower than normally

Hi there,

I have a MY06 Discovery-3 2.7 TDV6 (diesel) that has having problems to reach the normal engine's temperature.

A few days ago I tried to change the water outlet connection - part number LR073372 - in a preventive way, but I finally didn't do it, since when I tried to unplug this hose ...

... the coolant started coming out and I quickly plugged the hose again. Fortunately, only a slightly amount of coolant was spilled (50 ... 100cm3). Then, I realised that I didn’t have enough coolant at home to refill, so I had to stop, mount it all again and leave it for later. I haven’t done it yet.

Since that day, it seems as if the engine takes longer than before to be warm and the temperature needle becomes stabilized at a lower temperature than normally. You can see it in this picture, that was taken after half an hour running engine.

After adding some coolant and purging the cooling circuit, the problem has not been solved. The coolant level it's OK and the interior heating / cooling system runs well.

I'm almost sure there's an issue related to the coolant thermostat and I would like to replace it. Do you think the thermostat could have been damaged when I tried to change the water outlet connection? In addition, I have no idea where the thermostat is placed in the engine and if changing it it's an easy or difficult task.

I've looked for a solution on different sites - including Disco3.co.uk - but I've only found some information related with other models, which doesn’t work on mine.

Could anyone give me some information about that? Has anyone done this task before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter

PS Sorry if I've made some mistakes, but my English level is not as good as I would like.

Post #191623218th Feb 2018 10:36 pm
NicoHarmsen

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi Peter
I have the same problem with my 2.7 v6 Disco3 diesel . When going down a long hill the ( exterior temp 8.degC ) the temperature needle drops right down to the blue mark . I replace the thermostat at the bottom of the radiator (behind the radiator ). Easy job , took about 1 hour . Needed about 5 litres coolant to refill again .
However this did not fix the problem.
Anybody know what can be causing this ?
Cheers
Nico

Post #215489818th Jun 2020 1:20 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is a small coolant thermostat in each of the egr coolers where the coolant pipe enters.
But I think this was for the 2007 onwards model, not sure if previous models had these pipes linked to the main thermostat.

Post #215491118th Jun 2020 2:19 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check what reading the oil temp sensor is showing, it could be that, thats failing?.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #215491418th Jun 2020 2:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pere

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi there!

I had no answers since I wrote the post over 2 years ago. I solved the problem by myself. The solution was to purge the coolant system again, but this time following the LR instructions in the workshop manual step by step. If you need the detailed process, just tell me and I'll put it here.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Regards,
Pere

Post #215493818th Jun 2020 4:01 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

funny. Was gonna say that! Remove the air!

Post #215498618th Jun 2020 6:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >