Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil Seal Tool Dimensions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chris1573

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 3
Oil Seal Tool Dimensions

Hi Can anyone give me the dims of the tool to tap in the oil seal so I can make one up as I will be changing a leaky oil seal shortly. (and pump)...

I know I need it to be 1mm underflush to the oil pump housing just need external diameter and internal diameter of the main body and the shoulder.

TIA...

Post #226768117th Dec 2021 1:40 pm
D1SCD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I may be wrong, so check on this.. but I think all the new pumps now have a stop cast into the housing so you can't tap seal in too far, so the 1mm underflush isn't as much of a concern.

When I put mine in, I bought a cheaper seal that included a fitting tool to aid installation, but then also bought a genuine seal to use.

Post #226769017th Dec 2021 2:37 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Oil Seal Tool Dimensions

Chris1573 wrote:
Hi Can anyone give me the dims of the tool to tap in the oil seal so I can make one up as I will be changing a leaky oil seal shortly. (and pump)...

I know I need it to be 1mm underflush to the oil pump housing just need external diameter and internal diameter of the main body and the shoulder.

TIA...

a "tool" to tap the seal can easily be made by measuring the dimensions of the crank + seal + oilpump hole, even a socket will do as long as you tap it dead square... the cone from the other tool is more important, as it is a hard teflon lip who needs to be fitted/streched a litlle bit.... but then again measuring the crank will do... and a cone with 3 till 5 cm in length from nylon and with a very smooth surface... AND NO ridge between the crank and your cone tool when fiting.. !! there you go..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #226769217th Dec 2021 3:12 pm
Chris1573

Hi Harold I have ordered one of the cheap Reinz Seals as they come with the plastic tool to help the seal on. I think this does the job of the cone tool ?

Post #226771217th Dec 2021 6:35 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes it does.. but then you have to use the Reinz seal, if you want a LR Original one, you can not fit it on the Reinz tool since the Reinz tool is as straight on both ends as the crankshaft stub..

I have no experience with the Reinz seal, maybe it is ok also, shouldn’t know why not……i do use LR original ones since i made a tool for the first one and have now also a JLR tool now..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #226773617th Dec 2021 8:56 pm
Chris1573

Ah Ok, I thought you could use then Reinz tool to install a JLR seal. Looks like I go that wrong.

Post #226773917th Dec 2021 9:10 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have used the VR tool many times to fit a genuine seal.

I had a tool made by a local engineering company, they made it out of plastic and i think the dimensions are 37mm internal bore, 48mm external and its about 60mm long. These dimensions are off the top of my head so would need to be checked.
The tool slides on to the crank and then you use the crank bolt to wind it into place, it doesnt have a depth stop because the engineering company didnt have any larger diameter material without buying in stock.
I have used it a number of times and the seal goes in square everytime and it can be inserted to any depth which is handy if the original seal has worn a groove in the crank.
Duckworths land rover have stated on this forum that Victor Reinz make the genuine seals and that they use Reinzosil sealant to glue the seal in place to prevent it popping back out, its not what is recommended by Land Rover but may be a good idea as a few members have had problems with the seals popping out.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #226777818th Dec 2021 9:08 am
D1SCD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This was the tool included with VR seal, made it much easier..

Post #226781918th Dec 2021 4:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >