Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

17" STT - Long Term Review Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sbarnham

Australia 
17" STT - Long Term Review Please

Man it's hard deciding tyres. I am keeping my 18" with road tyres, and have a set of 17" for offroad so might as well get strong, aggressive tyres -- with 2 sets, no need to compromise with an AT.

So I am down to: Cooper STT in 245/70/R17 or Goodyear MTR in 265/70/R17

I would love MTR, but worried that 265/70/R17 is too big and will cause issues. Seems some don't have rubbing, but others do with that size.

I know a few of you have had Cooper STT for a while, and I am considering them due to being closest size to standard and have no rubbing. But, Cooper (esp. ST) have had a reputation for de-lamination and other issues both here and in USA.

So, love to hear from you if you have run STT 245/70/R17 for a while and what you think about wear, grip in wet, puncture resistance and quality of tyre itself (considering issues of the past with de-lamination etc...)
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #27615821st Mar 2008 10:24 pm
gilmore

England 

sbarnham wrote:
Man it's hard deciding tyres. I am keeping my 18" with road tyres, and have a set of 17" for offroad so might as well get strong, aggressive tyres -- with 2 sets, no need to compromise with an AT.

So, love to hear from you if you have run STT 245/70/R17 for a while and what you think about wear, grip in wet, puncture resistance and quality of tyre itself (considering issues of the past with de-lamination etc...)

I've got a set of these which I use for about 1/3rd of my driving as they tend to stay on for weeks at a time when I'm offroading regularly. The rest of the time I use Goodyear Wranglers.

Anyway I've done at least 10,000 miles on STTs and they are taking the road use fine. They wear well and ride better than my 155/55/19's. The road holding is fine. It's a 2.7tonne car so I don't chuck it around like a Lotus, but the Coopers feel secure and safe on the bends. Motorway speeds are fine, though I don't take them over 90mph.
The only way you know they're offroad tyres is the road hum. They aren't that quiet, but they're acceptable and I've covered day trips of up to 400 miles and they've not annoyed me.
One really good thing about STT is they are REALLY TOUGH. I've never seen a puncture offroad and quite a few of the guys have them. In the meantime I've seen quite a few of other of the other "offroad" tyres get punctures.

If you''re planning to keep two sets of wheels and swap between them, then it's a no-brainer. Get the STTs. Oh and they're cheap. Thumbs Up

cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #27618121st Mar 2008 11:06 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hijack - sorry, in the uk how much did you pay. discoDunc has given me a contact - but looking for a feel for price
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #27618721st Mar 2008 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Camskill , although ,not listed on their site , stock them and quoted me £145 delivered to Ireland. expensive.

Post #27619921st Mar 2008 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Did you not get the Kumho KL71s then DW?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27620721st Mar 2008 11:46 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Will have shortly ND,haven't forgot that you're interested Thumbs Up Barry will probably have them before me though as he's going to need them for the Lakes.

Noticed a set of Kumhos on a motor at Ents place of work when we hooked up last weekend , mean looking tyre Wink

Post #27621521st Mar 2008 11:59 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Cooper Stt 17" Thumbs Up Little noisey on road but awsome off road Very Happy No punctures yet Very Happy some chipping on rear caused by gravel roads with loose sharp stones and going to fast Whistle So rotate them each time you swop over from road tires Thumbs Up

Rob

Post #27646623rd Mar 2008 7:36 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Goodyear MTR's Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Awesome off road and very good on road. Had heavy rains on the drive home over the Easter weekend and I was sitting at 110 km/h on the highway. The tyres felt stable and secure and were very smooth.

The threads on these tyres are slightly less chunky/aggressive than the STT's (but it is still a LOT more aggresive than an AT tyre) but the trade off is that they are a lot more comfortable on the highway. I don't think there is much difference in terms of toughness/durability off-road. The MTR's have been around for a long time and their durability is well proven in lots of rock-crawling competitions.

Given that I normally have to do quite a bit of highway driving before arriving at the off-road destinations, the quieter ride is much appreciated.

As for rubbing - very slight rubbing at extreme lock at normal height. I have not noticed any rubbing at off-road height.

The 17" / MTR combination is approx 5% larger in diameter and the speedo reads 3% over at 100 km/h. The OEM tyre/rim reads 3% under at 100 km/h.

Price: slightly more expensive than STT's. But the difference was less than $15 or $20 per tyre, if I remember correctly.

Frankly, I think you will be happy with either brand. Good luck in deciding!

Cheers.

Post #27853828th Mar 2008 12:58 am
DavidK

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Very happy with the STT's....

Even when off the dirt and back onto the tar I am in no rush to swap the HT tyres back on.

regards,
David
 MY05 TDV6 S - manual, King springs lift, General Grabber AT  
Post #27855828th Mar 2008 4:51 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Very happy with my STTs, they are now prabably about half worn out (no idea how many kms since they are the 'offroad' set). They've done a range of offroad work including desert sands, beaches, outback gravel, rocky mountains and mud. And they also do well on the tar 'transit' stages. I've also been towing my TVan with them. They are noisier and less grippy on tar, more so when the tar is wet. You need to remember that you are wearing them on the wet tar mountain passes....

I have had two punctures, both ultimately destroyed the tyre. The first was a deep sidewall cut, the tyre did another 5000km+ before finally giving out on a hot (40+C) day between William Creek and Lake Eyre. The second was a slow leak that I didn't pick up, eventually the tyre delaminated (basically it got very very hot and failed). I'm going to call the first tough luck and the second my fault.

Regards
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #28898820th Apr 2008 1:29 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I had the STTs in 265/70/17. With the ARB bull-bar, there's no rubbing at any height. With the std front-end there may be a slight rub at full lock, but as these are a second set of (off-road) tyres, I doubt that would worry you too much.

For off-road, the larger size is definitely an advantage - you'll find that the car doesn't jack itself up to extended profile so often.

I found the STTs a little noisy, and ultimately I preferred the Mickey Thompson MTZs in the same size, but the STTs certainly wore better than the MTZs.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #28928421st Apr 2008 1:21 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pretty sure that for $10-20 you can also buy a piuncture guarantee on the MTR's - which is pretty darned attractive!

I loved MTRs on my D2!

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #28944921st Apr 2008 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >