Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Engine running like a bag of spanners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
RogB

United Kingdom 
Engine running like a bag of spanners

So after putting my D4 into LR dealer on Monday/Tuesday for major service and cambelts i had to be recovered back to them last night.

Picked it up Tuesday evening from the dealer, drove home 30 miles mixed roads and did think it sounded a little different to before the service & belts were done.
Wednesday drove the 30 miles back to work and home again, sounding the same as the day before so i still wasnt sure if it was just my bad hearing.
Thursday, drove into work and definitely sounding rougher, then on the drive home sounding really strange. Almost throaty like a it had a sports exhaust and not picking up as smoothly

Luckily i was stopping off on the way home to meet my daughter, and i really wasnt happy. Engine sounding very rough and rattly, and when i lifted the bonnet sounded like an old tractor with a few screws loose.
Called LR who agreed to take it back in with no hesitation Whistle , and my own recovery (not LR Assist) came out to pick the car up. In the meantime id been back to the dealer who had given me a courtesy car again with no hesitation! Wink

Turned out the recovery guy was a LR nutter, owned an early L322 FFRR, and several 2A's and he agreed it sounded really rough and the noise was coming from the front of the engine. He noted that the aux belt didnt look new and he thought it should have been removed/renewed in order for LR to change the cam belt.

Current status is that i have a new style Evoque as a loaner, and my D4 will land at the dealer sometime this morning.
Fingers crossed its something the LR Dealer failed to do properly when they worked on it 3 days ago.

Post #20813156th Sep 2019 7:56 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I don't trust lr main dealers in the slightest.

Good indy is best if you can find one.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #20813166th Sep 2019 8:03 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I do know a good indy near where i live, but as i work near this dealer it was logistically easier for me to go there and get a courtesy car off them, and their fixed price servicing meant they pretty much matched the indy's that i spoke to about the work. I had no intention of it ever going back to them unless absolutely necessary.

Guess i wont make that mistake again !!!

Post #20813186th Sep 2019 8:06 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

Had the call.
Apparently one of the cam tensioner bolts had sheared, they reckon a faulty new part.
They are currently trying to extract the remains of the bolt before fitting a whole new kit.
Thankfully no other damage was done but the tensioner could have gone at any time so a lucky escape. Shocked

Post #20822749th Sep 2019 8:28 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like a fairly lucky escape.
But who's picking up the bill for the tensioner kit.
e.g. it was ok when you brought it in, but not shortly after you took it out.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #20822769th Sep 2019 8:33 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

Dealer is paying as it was faulty components that they installed. No hesitation from them at all. Thumbs Up

Post #208233810th Sep 2019 2:33 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I bet the components where fine, I would guess they have not tightened up the three bolts on one camshaft that they have to slacken off to tension the belt, with these not tight the camshaft timing would be all over the place hence your rough running.

Sounds like Censored to me. Give it good run and check before you sday your happy with it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #208236910th Sep 2019 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Aside from that, there is only one cam tensioner bolt, and if that sheared, the engine would now be severely damaged. I suggest they are being extremely economical with the truth. Be very wary of these cowboys. Rolling Eyes
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #208237410th Sep 2019 7:56 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

thanks all,

i wasnt totally convinced about the bolt being faulty, i suspected they had over tightened it and weakened it but reading above it could be any other bits of incompetency that caused it,

whatever it was, they are covering all the costs to rectify it, and the work will be warrantied for at least 12 months so as i do about 300 miles a week im pretty sure any flaws will soon show up.

like i said to my brother last night, it pays to know what your engine sounds like when its running well, as the D4 is well insulated for sound but the engine note just didnt sound right and sounded even worse when i popped the bonnet.

cheers all

Rog

Post #208237910th Sep 2019 8:04 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

there are 3 bolts per cam, to allow minor timing adjustment

Post #208253110th Sep 2019 12:11 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

just had a random thought.

the point on the block that the tensioner bolts are mounted into.... is it a replaceable part? or manufactured into the main block itself? (hope that makes sense)

just wondering that if they cant get the snapped bolt out, is it a replaceable mounting or a new engine ?

Post #208254510th Sep 2019 12:51 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

as said above if a belt tensioner bolt had sheared you wouldn't be going anywhere as the tensioner and belt rollers only have 1x bolt on each part so if it had sheared the part would have come away from the engine so I suggest to either get them to tell you what actually happened or just let them fix it and forget about it (cos they aint being honest with you)
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #208257710th Sep 2019 3:17 pm
vanpeebles

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I wonder if the belt is a few teeth out.

Post #208258010th Sep 2019 3:31 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

eightfoot wrote:
as said above if a belt tensioner bolt had sheared you wouldn't be going anywhere as the tensioner and belt rollers only have 1x bolt on each part so if it had sheared the part would have come away from the engine so I suggest to either get them to tell you what actually happened or just let them fix it and forget about it (cos they aint being honest with you)

The latter is my plan basically. I'll ask for what info they will give me but so long as its fixed properly I'll walk away. Happy.

That's another local dealer ill never go to again along with Chesterfield.

LR Doncaster has only recently changed over to JCT600 group, previously it was Stratstone which I never had dealing with but 3 years ago it was a different group again and they were brilliant with my knackered Evoque

Post #208261310th Sep 2019 4:43 pm
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

sasdiscos wrote:
I don't trust lr main dealers in the slightest.

Good indy is best if you can find one.

Steve
Absolutely right on that !!  
Post #208262510th Sep 2019 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >