DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Land Rover Discovery 3 issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Merc007

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Land Rover Discovery 3 issue

Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I am a Disco 3 lover and ive only had issues with mine. Ive owned it since 2017 but just cant get rid of her. Bought her after oil pump pully snapped off and previous owner felt like getting rid of her. Did a rebuild on her. New heads and since she had 320 000kms on replaced all 6 injectors aswell as the hpfp. Did the timing and waterpump at the same time.

Drove her for a couple of months. She gave me extremely high fuel consumption. Then one day she just died. Didnt want to start. After 2 years I got her back two days ago. From one mechanic to the next. Trying to find the issue. Turns out the Hvac unit shorted and prevented can communication. Replaced that and whole lockset.

Now im stuck again with this fueling issue. What could cause this. Im getting a front diff wine. Replaced the rear diff bearings. And did a transmission flush.

The best way I could describe my issue is. She doesn't chage gears like a discovery 3 should and would stay in a gear and try and pull rather that jumping back a gear or two. Every now and then the transmission will start to slip as a result of load. The revs also surge up and down up and down except at idle. So is this a drivetrain issue. The transmission causing exstreme fuel consumption or maybe the front diff bearings? At the moment on the open road im getting 16mpg or 18 liters per 100km on a 2.7tdv6 and in town im getting 12mpg or 23 liters per 100km

Please se this video

https://streamable.com/w9go6c

Please guys any ideas regarding what the cause of this could be would be appreciated. I cant even sell it as is because passing along a problem just wont be right.

Post #215714428th Jun 2020 1:30 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What are we lookg at in the video? I just see a car on a bumpy road maintaining a steaydish speed.
Have you checked the basics, ie gearbox oil level?
How long had you been driving in the vid? as I notice the engine was not up to temeprature.

Post #215716528th Jun 2020 4:20 pm
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 
Re: Land Rover Discovery 3 issue

Unnecessary quote removed

Speak to Brett at Savoy in PE. Sure he would give you some help. 320 clicks in is quite a chunk for a D3. Might be worth looking at a refurbed box.

Post #215716828th Jun 2020 4:33 pm
Merc007

Sorry about the video quality and thanks for your reply. Its much appreciated. If you look at the video you can see the revs fluctuate up and back down constantly. I will try and take a better video. The egr is blanked off and ive done a gearbox flush and level is correct. I havent been driving for long in the video but even when the enige is warmed up completely it still fluctuates and gives me bad fuel consumption.

Even if I accelerate at max and the rpm goes to let say 3500 it wil even fluctuate while climbing rpm

Post #215716928th Jun 2020 4:35 pm
Merc007

Re: Land Rover Discovery 3 issue

Gorilla63 wrote:
Unnecessary quote removed

Speak to Brett at Savoy in PE. Sure he would give you some help. 320 clicks in is quite a chunk for a D3. Might be worth looking at a refurbed box.

Thanks Ill go and see Brett and ask his opinion. Could that be the cause of bad fuel consumption as well. A bad transmission? Ive just been struggling to find out what could be giving it such bad fuel consumption. Its not even manageable at that consumption

Post #215717028th Jun 2020 4:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

What is your oil temperature sensor doing? If it’s faulty it can cause fluctuations. You will need diagnostic system to read the values.

Post #215717328th Jun 2020 4:52 pm
Merc007

Thanks I know they can cause all sorts off problems. Ive got no dtc on the engine. Im using a Hawkeye. Ill have a look at the live data tomorrow and revert back asap. Thanks for everyone's help Its much appreciated

Post #215718128th Jun 2020 5:21 pm
Merc007

Gareth wrote:
What is your oil temperature sensor doing? If it’s faulty it can cause fluctuations. You will need diagnostic system to read the values.

Hi I had a look at the live data today. Oil temp reads fine.

Post #215735929th Jun 2020 2:45 pm
Merc007

I am going to try a mega flush with 2x dr tranny. Hopefully it sorts out any transmission issues. No fault codes are displayed under its module.

Post #215736129th Jun 2020 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >