Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Power Steering Fluid Compatibility
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Power Steering Fluid Compatibility

Found a puddle under my car the other day and after starting the car thought that the steering pump sounded a bit loud. So lifted the bonnet and found the power steering fluid was low. Booked into the dealer (Solitaire) and they confirmed that the steering rack was leaking and decided a replacement was necessary.

It has been ordered and the car is to go in next Thursday for the work to be done.

In the meantime they supplied replacement fluid. Went to top up the reservoir today using the fluid they supplied but stopped just short of pouring the stuff in. Seems to me that it is auto trans fluid - red stuff, not the blue green fluid already in the reservoir.

I checked the label and sure enough it says Dexron III. The handbook says to use Texaco Cold Climate PAS fluid.

Anybody know if the two are compatible and can be safely mixed? My opinion is "probably not" but may be I'm wrong?

This also raises the issue of what to do if out in the bush or in a country town and one finds that the fluid level is low. Like what the heck to use if Dexron or equivalent is not suitable? Shocked

Ian
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #23814329th Dec 2007 7:29 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Most power steering use auto trans oil, There are a fiew types, Auto trans oil although somewhat a low viscocity oil is one of the most robust oils we have, My advice is check with dealer, but if it was me I would use it.

Rob

Post #23838930th Dec 2007 8:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >