Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Transporting your car by truck - interstate, in Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Transporting your car by truck - interstate, in Australia

I am trying to find a Transport company that will tranpsort my Disco from Perth to Adelaide and back in July - I live in Perth, grew up in SA and brothers etc live in Adelaide and I will be joining them in a number of 4wd's doing the Ooonadatta Track - Uluru - Alice etc over a two week period. I dont have the time, energy or desire to do the Nullabour too. My problem is NO truck company so far will let me have ANY items in the car (no fridge, no personal items, no swag etc etc). ANyone know a company that will let me at least take some items?????? Train is an option - BUT only way to guarantee the car will be accepted on the train is to go with it (I want to fly);

help... Big Cry
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #29261928th Apr 2008 4:00 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

had the same problem trying to get my vehicle to Darwin. The vehicle has to be empty.What I did in the end was put the car on the Ghan. Coming back could have got the D3 on the Indian Pacific but only as far as Adelaide as it is too high to get from Adelaide to Sydney.

Dont know if you need to accompany the vehicle, but that might be your best bet!
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #29262228th Apr 2008 4:52 am
StornowaySA

and were you allowed gear in the car - on the train???
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #29262328th Apr 2008 4:54 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

isn't the problem the possibility of theft by employeed of the transport company and responsibility matters ?
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #29264828th Apr 2008 8:29 am
StornowaySA

yep, heard that too.
Post #29264928th Apr 2008 8:33 am
WayneD

I had mine fully loaded and no problems. Just remember to turn off the tilt alarm. I also had locking rear drawers.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #29269828th Apr 2008 11:37 am
StornowaySA

umm, tilt alarm???? what is it Sad and how do I turn it off?? Confused
Post #29312529th Apr 2008 3:18 am
Neil Pettersen

It's not too sensitive,so rather difficult to demonstrate by rocking the vehicle.
Not been able to get mine to "go off".... must require a bit of a lift .
Press lock button twice quickly to deactive and lock vehicle.
BTW only one lock press required to deadlock 4 doors on our D3's......not twice ,as in most vehicles.

A good friend in the transport game told me that no goods accepted in vehicles anymore
because of breakins at driver/truck changeover hubs. If it's common knowledge that there's
nothing in them,they are not targeted.

Post #29312729th Apr 2008 4:08 am
StornowaySA

Interesting - many thanks!
Post #29313029th Apr 2008 5:31 am
WayneD

Oh and dont forget to show the guys where the handbrake is! (not SWMBO, thought I would add that before someone made a comment) Rolling Eyes
Post #29313229th Apr 2008 6:06 am
StornowaySA

am I right saying the height with expo rack attached (and empty) is 2095 in access mode?????
Post #29313329th Apr 2008 6:11 am
Neil Pettersen

WayneD wrote:
Oh and dont forget to show the guys where the handbrake is! Rolling Eyes

Only problem with that one Wayne ,is that the girl on the checkin desk isn't the guy
who moves it when they've got a truck load.

Most important that auto realease is not used when reversing Exclamation

Plays hell with tha EPB reliability....next thing you know it's bugg Censored Rolling Eyes

Post #29313529th Apr 2008 6:29 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Neil Pettersen wrote:
Most important that auto realease is not used when reversing Exclamation

Plays hell with tha EPB reliability....next thing you know it's bugg Censored Rolling Eyes

Reverse out of my drive every day, never had a problem. Bu Censored er why did I say that.............iknow what will happen now. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #29314329th Apr 2008 7:07 am
WayneD

When I checked my vehicle in for the Ghan the guys that loaded the vehicle checked it in, could be different for the Perth/Adelaide run. Would probably be no different if it was loaded onto a truck. All care and no responsibility no matter which way you chose, unfortunately. I didnt have a choice as time was an issue, but all worked out ok. The Toyota loaded in front of me copped all the diesel exhaust from the train Laughing
Post #29314429th Apr 2008 7:07 am
White Disco

Australia 

Setting off car alarms Thud Rolling Eyes Shocked Dr. Evil
Must of been "A c Censored t of a Driver" to use the industry jargon Whistle
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #29314729th Apr 2008 7:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >