Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine system fault and cruise control doesn't work now
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tdv6truck

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Engine system fault and cruise control doesn't work now

Hi guys. The last few days I get the engine system fault message flash up on the dash (for a split second before disappearing) and I loose power. The engine keeps running. I can pull over and stop for a couple of seconds, leaving the car in drive with the engine running and then drive off and everything is fine. This is happening after starting the car within 4 km of driving every time now. None of the warning lights are on either.

Nay thoughts on what I can check before heading off to get the codes scanned? It's late 2006 disco 3 tdv6.

Cheers

Post #191710921st Feb 2018 10:36 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The codes will determine what may be wrong otherwise it is all guess work. As it is at startup, maybe battery or alternator but codes should tell

Post #191712021st Feb 2018 10:58 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi,

That s sounds exactely like the problem I had that I posted on

here

Bodsy kindly IID scanned my car that pointed to a turbo issue; sticking turbo actuator arm

Think I linked the relevant posts in the above

Since I got it moving and greased it with aluminium grease, it’s been perfect

If I remember correctly, if the ecu picks up an issue, doesn’t it then disable cruise control until the fault is cleared? Pretty sure that happened to my wife’s Nissan even though the mil light would go off, the fault was still in the ecu so no cruise control until dealer reset it.

You can do the turbo thing pretty quick.

Forum posts talk of taking left hand front wheel off, but I managed it by putting car into off road height, jacking up the left hand side and putting a support post in, and the upper wishbone drops away mor than enough to get the heat shield off easily.

After that it is all just about identifying the turbo arm and giving it a shoogle until it’s free; wd40 lush aluminium grease on bodsy’s advice.

Have a vid and pics if the forum post ones are not enough

Andy

Post #191726821st Feb 2018 6:06 pm
Tdv6truck

Just a quick update. Had the codes read today. Has p0046-00 and another one for the MAF but I can’t remember the code. The MAF looks ok and the intercooler hose isn’t split. Is there a way to test the MAF? I’ll check the actuator arm this weekend.

Post #191900426th Feb 2018 8:45 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

These are the codes Bodsy found after my car went into limp mode

Quote:
Engine TDV6

P0579-00 [28] Speed control multi-function input A - circuit range/performance
P0046-00 [68] Turbo/supercharger boost control solenoid - circuit range/performance

The p0046 one was the code that called for the MIL light to be lit, and was the issue that caused the car to go into limp mode.

That, he felt, was related to the turbo actuator arm so when you accelerate and the “system” is expecting power delivery, the resulting relative lack of power from the turbo not kicking in as it should causes the error to be thrown.

All way beyond me, but that’s my understanding of what Bodsy was trying to tell me.

Anyway, I cleaned up the actuator, greased it with spray aluminium grease as he suggestt3d, and the car does fell a heck of a lot more responsive.

I’ve gotten an IID BT tool now, and so far there has been no recurrence of the P0046-00 error, so I’m hoping it’s fixed - for the moment .....

Now, there is apparently an ECU update that adds a turbo actuator exerciser function, and this causes the actuator to move through its full range of movement when turning the ignition on or off, or something like that. In any event, it’s suppossed to help keep the turbo actuator arm mobile to prevent this happening again.

Planning on requesting the update from Gap Diagnostics this week, after I do a couple of practice flashes on simple stuff.

Will see how it all goes I guess.

Good luck with this, and I’d be interested in knowing what you find out

Andy

Post #191905826th Feb 2018 11:10 am
Tdv6truck

Great news!!! All fixed. Bought an ICarsoft i930 and it showed a MAF fault. Replaced the MAF and running like a dream. Very Happy

Post #19224965th Mar 2018 3:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >