DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Second battery installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
AM510657

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Second battery installation

Hi,

Has anybody tried to install the second battery? I’m looking for somebody to share with me his/her experience on the installation/ connection issue. Big Cry

Thanks
 Discovery 3 (2007) HSE TDV6 Java Black/Ebony Black, Privacy glass, Manual gear box  
Post #22776524th Nov 2007 11:03 pm
White Disco

Australia 

PM drivesafe. Top set up and does not interfere with the D3 electronics or charging. Nice price as well. Thumbs Up
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #22777624th Nov 2007 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do a search and i am sure you will fined lots of info
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #22778924th Nov 2007 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

UK Price is £380 +vat installed including up to four outlets / connections, no 'flashy lights' just a rock solid system 8)

Post #22779124th Nov 2007 11:38 pm
JMC

Scotland 

10forcash wrote:
UK Price is £380 +vat installed including up to four outlets / connections, no 'flashy lights' just a rock solid system 8)

Tell me more......
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22782025th Nov 2007 12:41 am
AM510657

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I wonder if it makes sense to do it by myself. Shocked
There is a place for additional battery but, apparently, the are no cables pre-installed. Am I right?
 Discovery 3 (2007) HSE TDV6 Java Black/Ebony Black, Privacy glass, Manual gear box  
Post #22783925th Nov 2007 2:20 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:

I can vouch for this - a top notch installation, real VFM - good job TFC Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #22784625th Nov 2007 3:16 am
drivesafe

Australia 

AM510657 wrote:
I wonder if it makes sense to do it by myself. Shocked
There is a place for additional battery but, apparently, the are no cables pre-installed. Am I right?

Hi AM510657, it depends on what you want to do.

If your just going to fit a dual battery set up then I have a new complete DIY kit that requires no holes to be drill and you need no electrical experience and only a couple of spanners and you can fit the whole thing in about 20 minutes.

If on the other hand, you want to add some additional permanently powered plugs to the rear cargo area then you will need some experience at running cables to the back of the vehicle.

This can be a big job if your not use to running cable, particularly in something like the D3.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #22814826th Nov 2007 11:01 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Have recently fitted these :-

http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?i...d=196&

to a couple of D3's to charge the second battery. Just 3 leads, one 300amp to each battery and a small earth connection to the box. This unit dual senses so looks at the state of both batteries and will allow them to be linked for a short time even after the engine is off if either battery is fully charged and the other low. It will not allow the starting battery to fall below a set level.
In our application we have a small generator charging the aux battery at times, in this case because of the dual sensing the main battery is also charged if required.
It also has a manual link switch which connects the batt's together for 10 mins so the aux battery can be used to fire up the engine or the main battery to give the winch a hand!
Unit is £120 or £90 for the 100amp version without the link switch.
Unit is designed for the marine market and is well built and appears happy under the bonnet of a D3.
Hope of interest to someone!

PS Merlin Power-Store is an absolute goldmine for high quality, marine grade 12v bits. Especially fuse & distribution blocks etc. I am not connected with them, or on commision!

Post #23263810th Dec 2007 11:37 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi xtc, it all comes down to where you put your auxiliary battery and what you intend to use it for.

If you are just fitting the second battery in the spare battery compartment to use in case the cranking battery fails then most DBS will do the job.

Or if you are fitting a large battery in the rear of the D3, to run your accessories, then again, pretty well any DBS should work.

But if you are fitting the auxiliary battery in the spare battery compartment, to use as a power supply for you fridge and any other accessories you may require, while off on a trip then the SC40 is going to give you much more power and as such a longer operating time between charges than any other DBS and because of the limitation of the size of auxiliary battery you can fit up front, every extra bit of power counts.

Plus a full SC40-LR Plug-&-Play kit, including Express post to the UK cost less than £90.

It’s a case of horses for courses
Post #23284011th Dec 2007 2:12 pm
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

10forcash wrote:

How much to pop over to the states for the install Whistle
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #23285811th Dec 2007 3:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

about the cost of a return flight, all the bits (less battery - obviously) and any incidentals like a bar bill... Wink

Post #23287411th Dec 2007 4:12 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
about the cost of a return flight, all the bits (less battery - obviously) and any incidentals like a barbers bill... Wink

what do you need the barber for TFC?
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #23292511th Dec 2007 6:15 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

drivesafe wrote:
then the SC40 is going to give you much more power and as such a longer operating time between charges than any other DBS

Hi Drivesafe, we must agree to disagree, that's what forums are all about!

As you say, horses for courses. I think for our application with large aux loads and external power sources we needed something a little smarter. Cheers, Richard.

Post #23295011th Dec 2007 7:20 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

xtc wrote:
we needed something a little smarter. Cheers, Richard.

Not sure by what you mean by a little smarter as the standard SC40 is “smarter” ( does more ) than that device does and because the SC40-LR is specifically designed for the unique operating requirements of the D3, the SC40-LR is heaps smarter yet still a lot cheaper and a lot easier to fit, so again, I’m not sure what you mean.

If you take into account the cut-in volt of that device, 13.7 which is fine for D3 cold starts but when you consider that older D3s have a hot start running voltage as low as 13.5 and newer D3s have a hot start running voltage as low as 13.2, with your device, if you go off on a trip, the device will cut in when you start off in the morning ( cold start ) BUT if you stop to fuel up or for lunch, or what ever, the device will cut out as the battery settles ( usually if a fridge is running, as little as a few minutes after turning the motor off ).

When you start the motor after the break, if the motor is hot and the cranking battery is fully charged, the voltage may not rise to your devices cut-in voltage and by the time you get to where ever you are going, instead of having a fully charged battery, your fridge has mad sure your battery is anything but fully charged.

This is a common problem with just about every other DBS when fitted to a D3 whereas both the SC40-LR and SC80-LR have three separate functions, anyone of which resolve this problem so with all three functions, you are never going to suffer from the above problem.

The SC40 has other functions that work very well with D3s, functions not found on ANY other DBS.

Once again, I‘m not sure what you mean by “need something a little smarter” because when it comes to the D3, there is NOTHING smarter than the SC40-LR. Remember, this device was specifically designed for use in the D3 and RRS.

Cheers
Post #23304511th Dec 2007 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >